Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-04-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Metric Halo Channelstrip Problems

I cannot believe that I am writing this.

I have used MHLabs CS ever since it came out, and it has always been buggy. I just loaded a session I recorded in OS 9 over the summer, and sure enough, some of the CS don't even work. The channels they're on just have a solid Green Meter(serious malfunction) It's really frustrating to deal with.

Why do we spend money on things that don't work?

Is it time for some class action lawsuits, or what? I can reproduce this bug on anybody's machine, at any time. Doesn't matter about "unsupported configuration" or not.

What do you guys think?

I mean why have I spent $249 US JUST TO GET IT TO BE AS BUGGY AS IT WAS IN OS X????

Does everyone else around here enjoy "throwing out the prefs" and "repairing permissions" all day long? I don't have time for that.

I could use that money to do something constructive with my life.

When a plugin has the same bugs it's had for over 5 years, there's a serious problem.

Craig
Old 02-04-2004, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Metric Halo Channelstrip Problems

Metric Halo seems to be making plenty of money selling people gear that doesn't work. I've put in a whole lot of hours trying to get two of their Mobile I/O's to lock together and work as a 16 channel interface, like advertised. Between hardware issues and software that doesn't work the same way twice Was never able to do it. While you can often get the president of the company (Mark) on the phone, and he's a nice guy, the time has come and long gone that the bugs in his software and hardware should've been fixed. It's a good thing that I never bought any of that stuff myself. Metric Halo seems like a good candidate for a class action suit if there ever was one.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:57 PM

As pissed as I was that it took them forever to move to OS X, I never had any bug problems with either CS or SF, or for yhat matter the light version of CS that I had before or the light metering plg that they used to sell.

And I am curious about the $250 since the update is $150, typo or did someting strange go on?
Old 02-04-2004, 10:34 PM

Hi again.

The $250 was $99 to use it in HD2, and another $149 for the OS X port.

Try lining up like 30-40 CS in a session of audio. It's fairly consistent, and once in a while you will notice that some of the CS are Sometimes the meters are Stuck in the Mix window with a solid green block. Bypass the plug and you hear a nasty click.. Fun.

Now the fun part..

Bring up one of the CS plugs.

Now, hit the bullet on that one, so you can bring up another plugin.

Bring up a second CS.

Watch the funky meters all screwed up and duplicated weird..

Try to close the one with the funky meters, and Pro Tools crashed on me.. I don't know if it will for you.

Let me know if yours doesn't do that. I'm fairly confident it will.

Craig

PS. And let's not even get started again about Sampletank $%&$%^&$&^%@@$**(&^#
Old 02-05-2004, 04:18 AM

I have given up using Channel Strip a few month after having bought them, as I got random muting of tracks and things of the sort when opening sessions whith over 5 or 6 CS intantiated : not always easy to hear right away that one of the tom mics or the bottom snare mic just vanished from the mix...
Somehow some people are using them with no problem but I have moved on to Sony EQ and Dynamics plugins without the slightest regret...
Mac Pro 2013 & Chassis
Old 02-05-2004, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I have given up using Channel Strip a few month after having bought them, as I got random muting of tracks and things of the sort when opening sessions whith over 5 or 6 CS intantiated : not always easy to hear right away that one of the tom mics or the bottom snare mic just vanished from the mix...

This has been exactly my experience, too, along with distortion sometimes on the track with CS. I call MH and they said to download the newest version which turned out to be the one I already had. Very unreliable.

Jeff
Old 02-05-2004, 12:38 PM

Frenchman and JNS, are you in OSX and TDM? Im in PTLE land and OSX and was thinking about getting the OSX full ChannelStrip RTAS upgrade. I have Channelstrip/SP for OS9 and can upgrade for $199. I wonder if the same bugs are in the RTAS OSX upgrade?
Old 02-05-2004, 12:52 PM

I'm on OS9.1, PT 5.1.1. BTW, I also have a friend who's had the metering problem with CS.

Jeff
Old 02-05-2004, 01:55 PM

Hi all,

CS is still 1.0 on OSX TDM. The guys at MH are really quick at fixing problems when they are being notified.
I was beta testing it and all the bugs I found got fixed.
I didn't have the problem you were having Craig (The stuck meter one.)

As a beta tester I feel like I've failled both them and you by letting such a bug go through :-(
I wasn't the only tester obviously, but still...
I'll see what I can do to bring this to their attention.

Ciao,

Fab

PS:As for the multiple instances of CS crashing PT, it's a know limitation that's been around for a while.
They said they were working on it. I beleive it's mentionned in the manual as a no-no.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:14 PM

That's another reason why I believe I should be a beta tester. I work very hard at trying to get something working properly, and I do a lot of messing around with settings just to see what happens. That metering bug has been there since day one, and I seem to remember talking to Metric Halo about it, but nothing got done. Many years later, it's still there. The stuff should just work.
People who write this code aren't testing it properly at all in my opinion.

Example, try changing the polyphony setting in Sampletank in OS X, and when you hit return, there will be a new number, but it's somewhere else on the screen! Sometimes it even crashes.

Sampletank 2 is just riddled with problems, and I haven't tried editing any MIDI in PT 6.2.3 yet.

I'm busy trying to get my Bosendorfer 290 RTAS in OS X plugin to work. It seems to work properly in Standalone mode, but when you try to run it in PT, it's just cryptic.

I'm starting to wonder about if we're ever going to see solid code ever again from anybody.

I miss sequencing on a Mac Plus with Studio Vision. Maybe I'll have to fire it up again and hook it up to the HD rig..
it's just a pain dealing with such a small screen.

I'm really close to buying Logic, but I'm waiting to see if there's an upgrade price for users of DP, Studio Vision, etc.
Hopefully apple will tweak out some of the glitches there.

What I want is a machine that will run Pro Tools, BFD drums, Trilogy Bass, Bosendorfer 290, B4, and Sampletank 2 and/or Kompakt
with no hassles, and some serious compositional MIDI tools like Logic.

When can I have this? My Pro Tools HD2 system is aching for it.

And what's this about not running multiple instances of CS???? I bought a $20,000 system to run one plugin at a time?? Gimme a break, please!!

Craig