Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2015, 03:21 AM

Default quickkeys guru? selecting tools?

recently noticed that you can directly select the tool of your choice via right clicking

ok its not entirely directly... cos you have to go thru a bunch of pull downs

has any body cracked how to get this to work 100% using quick keys? or any other way of doing it?

I seem to want to jump between tie stretch and the smart tool ( in standard trimmer mode ) about 1 million times a day!!

can any one share with me please!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:49 AM

Default Re: quickkeys guru? selecting tools?

What's wrong with the function keys?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:46 PM

You can do this with the function keys. I have this exact combo setup on my Wacom tablet, but it would work with QuicKeys or Keyboard Maestro, too. F6-F6, and then F6-F6-F6-F7, I think.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:40 PM

Yes, the quick key for the trimmer tool is f6. If you wanted to switch between the different types of trimmer tool, just press f6 repeatedly and it will cycle through the different trim modes.

You can switch from zoom tool to the pencil tool using f5-f10 keys. The order of the tools follows the order of the keys. You can select the smart tool by pressing any 2 of f6, f7 or f8 at the same time.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:48 PM

thanks guys.

well aware of the function keys

But I am failing to get quick keys to work 100% accurately..

I do have a quickkey macro that does the miltiple press - unfortunately it doesnt for what ever reason work all the time - it does work say 8 times out of 10

I just want to nail it 100% becos as i say I use that about a millin times on a working day - jus want a puch it and its done button.. rather than squint at the trimmer icon to make sure its returned to "standard' rather than loop mode..

having spent almost 15 year on a fairlight - I find it less than satisfying to have to press any button twice or more in a row to switch between tool modes that any professional dialog editor will be required to in tidying up ADR
Old 10-27-2015, 01:22 AM

You can try something like what I did in the screenshot attached. That's the only rule I used.

It seems to work fine, but I don't really use it daily, so you have to try it and see if it's reliable enough (and create the other shortcuts as needed).

Let me know if it works for you.

Cheers

Davide
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot.png (94.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-27-2015, 01:22 AM

I've purchased, but haven't found the time to install just yet - Batch Commander by Slate Media. This is in essence glorified QuickKeys straight from PT, to allow doing tasks on the MTi and the MTX. The standalone version has been out for some time now. Perhaps for $99 it is worth investigating(?).

I can totally feel your pain, this is indeed an annoying process. I frequently have to perform it during the day (from the sounds of it nowhere near the amount you do). Especially irritating if you missed the trimmer tool on the F5 cycle.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:24 AM

AFAIK, QuicKeys has ceased development and is getting trickier to use on new versions of OS X. Keyboard Maestro is actively developed, and cheaper than both QuicKeys and Batch Commander.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:51 AM

thanks for the info

I just finshed masses of dialog so the moment has passed ( til the next one! )

yes I should look at maestro - since I would love to put my ipads to better use.. and whilst the Protools only app looks interesting,, ( would like to put my hands on a raven see if its for me tho! ) I want somethign that can work with all my apps.

I am finding quickeys interacting with TouchOSC a bit frustrating... becos I cant consistently trigger macros with it.. simple stuff like save in protools and switch to audiofinder.. or my sampler - or whilst in Audiofinder spot SFX to Protools insert point - and flip back to protools...

so I am back and forward to the ipad / apple keyboard.. and desk real estate is always tight!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:47 AM

Out of curiosity, why are you disregarding Batch Commander? There might be a button for it, plus there an iPad app for it as well. Could work or drop them an email to ask whether BC can do what you are asking for.