Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Default SUGGESTION: Pro Tools Plug-in Management System like Firefox Add-Ons

Pro Tools really needs a smart Plug-in Management system. As it is, 3rd party plug-ins seem to be one of the primary sources of conflicts/crashes in Pro Tools when versions conflict, as well as a logistical nightmare in terms of maintaining proper versions and installations and finding downloads (like when an engineer shows up with a 15-page long list of plug-ins on his iloks that he wants you to find and install to the studio rig for him to have available during his sessions), etc.

I think Avid should take a good look at FireFox and their Add-On/Plug-in management system, as this concept would make a huge leap forward in Pro Tools' plug-in system, which currently is totally un-managed and entirely up to the end-user to maintain.

1) Offer a Plug-In Browser - where users could browse all plug-ins available for Pro Tools from a single window inside Pro Tools. Complete with instant download/install links, and abstracts about the plug-in, and organized by categories or brands, and even searchable too.

2) Version awareness - The browser would only show the plug-ins compatible with the version of Pro Tools the user is running, making it impossible to download an incompatible version.

3) Update compatability awareness - When you update to a new major version of Pro Tools, any installed plug-ins that are not compatible with it yet would automatically become disabled, to prevent crashes. This could be reviewed in the plug-in browser, with perhaps links to newer compatible versions to install.

4) Plug-In Automatic Update - Add automatic update checking for installed plug-ins and present a download/install update dialog for any newly updated and compatible plug-ins to the user at Pro Tools start up.

Essentially, if a free web browser like Firefox can do all this with their plug-ins, I really don't see why a high-end Professional system like Pro Tools can't also offer such an improved, centralized and managed plug-in system for us.

It shouldn't really take more than a database on Avid's part of all the plug-ins and their versions and compatabilities with Pro Tools versions, combined with a system where Avid gives the Plug-In developers a means to submit their plug-ins and update information to Avid, in order to keep said database up to date.

Thank you for reading/listening and I really hope Avid takes this post as food for thought when developing their next versions of Pro Tools.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Default Re: SUGGESTION: Pro Tools Plug-in Management System like Firefox Add-Ons

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
Pro Tools really needs a smart Plug-in Management system. As it is, 3rd party plug-ins seem to be one of the primary sources of conflicts/crashes in Pro Tools when versions conflict, as well as a logistical nightmare in terms of maintaining proper versions and installations and finding downloads (like when an engineer shows up with a 15-page long list of plug-ins on his iloks that he wants you to find and install to the studio rig for him to have available during his sessions), etc.

I think Avid should take a good look at FireFox and their Add-On/Plug-in management system, as this concept would make a huge leap forward in Pro Tools' plug-in system, which currently is totally un-managed and entirely up to the end-user to maintain.

1) Offer a Plug-In Browser - where users could browse all plug-ins available for Pro Tools from a single window inside Pro Tools. Complete with instant download/install links, and abstracts about the plug-in, and organized by categories or brands, and even searchable too.

2) Version awareness - The browser would only show the plug-ins compatible with the version of Pro Tools the user is running, making it impossible to download an incompatible version.

3) Update compatability awareness - When you update to a new major version of Pro Tools, any installed plug-ins that are not compatible with it yet would automatically become disabled, to prevent crashes. This could be reviewed in the plug-in browser, with perhaps links to newer compatible versions to install.

4) Plug-In Automatic Update - Add automatic update checking for installed plug-ins and present a download/install update dialog for any newly updated and compatible plug-ins to the user at Pro Tools start up.

Essentially, if a free web browser like Firefox can do all this with their plug-ins, I really don't see why a high-end Professional system like Pro Tools can't also offer such an improved, centralized and managed plug-in system for us.

It shouldn't really take more than a database on Avid's part of all the plug-ins and their versions and compatabilities with Pro Tools versions, combined with a system where Avid gives the Plug-In developers a means to submit their plug-ins and update information to Avid, in order to keep said database up to date.

Thank you for reading/listening and I really hope Avid takes this post as food for thought when developing their next versions of Pro Tools.
It is a good idea, and I'm not debating that at all... but it's also very problematic.

It would take a creation of a whole department just for version checking. It would be pretty difficult for Avid to know what version of every single 3rd party plug is compatible since other manufacturers are updating all the time and at their own pace. Ideally, it would be pertinent for the other companies to send data to Avid about compatible versions, otherwise it would be a lot of work on Avid's part to keep up with who has what, and what is compatible or not. Plus, with all the new plugs coming out all the time, it would have to be updated on the fly, which is again, problematic. Particularly for those who never have their systems connected to the internet.

For a browser like FF, it's a lot easier to do because it can constantly be checking the web for changes to plugins... but Pro Tools not an internet based application. The browser would have to be an extension of Pro Tools itself, probably running independently, but also linked to the plugins folder.

An interesting idea, as I said, but certainly would come with a number of challenges.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Default Re: SUGGESTION: Pro Tools Plug-in Management System like Firefox Add-Ons

i think its a great idea.

maybe a separate application though. which would be like native instruments
service center. hopefully much better.

it would be easy for pro tools to check it against its current version for updates.
3rd party developers just have to submit it to avid audio dept and have a centrally located download area or a main database for the software updater to work.

it also could be an "app store" or "rtas store" where it would have the catalog, like the one it sends out in booklets, but a browers with your info already there so u could update and or buy new plugins straight from the avidstore.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 PM

thats great but what about guys like me where our recording computer is not connected to the internet? A recording computer that is connected to the internet means you should also have a virus checker, which means your computer would be less optimal for recording...

nexis
Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexis View Post
thats great but what about guys like me where our recording computer is not connected to the internet?
Then connect only when you want to manage/browse for plug-ins!

Otherwise you have to do it the old-fashioned way (I mean the current way) of manually searching for plug-ins, checking versions and compatibility, and managing everything the long hard painful way.

PS:
I thought of another feature a plug-in browser could offer:
User Rating/Reviews of plug-ins.

Anyway I hope Avid takes a look at this... Because the current plug-in system was fine - in 1999! But it is 2011 and pretty much all major apps that host plug-ins offer some type of method for browsing and/or managing them... Even Photoshop has a Browse Filters feature, Safari has an Extensions Gallery... Although I think the FireFox model and suggestions in my first post would the best way to go.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:03 PM

Are you guys not aware that FireFox is written and maintained by a whole bunch of people who have no lives and are willing to work for free?

Go out and find maybe ten of those geeks that you wouldn't normally talk to and tell them your idea, and have each of them tell ten other geeks, and so on.

In a week or two you'll have the application of your dreams, the beginnings of a great Amway network, and a bunch of new friends that you really don't want your old friends to know about...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 AM

If you are on mac - I hope you guys are aware of trombino's fantastic app which goes a long way towards doing this:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=264830

It is entirely dependant on us users updating the database, but it works. And it has a method for updating the list offline via file for those with no internet.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 AM

I would be really happy with a page in the prefs that listed the installed plugs and their versions. In a format close to that of the VST2RTAS wrappers main page. Perhaps with check boxes to let you load or unload plugs to the plug in folder. Or a plugins page off the HELP menu that listed all of the plugs and their version numbers. Since PT is web enabled as an app to check for updates this would be a great place as it could list both the installed version and the latest version with a link to the manufacturers main page. Windows Add/Remove Program page has this info and its unobtrusive

The absolute LAST thing I want to see is another app store........ At that point you might as well require a credit card number to install Pro Tools and build in a email client so that you can receive timely directed ads and notifications personalized to your user experience.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88