Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Beat Detective Type Mismatch / Assertion Error HELP!!!!!

hi folks. i'm having a major problem with Beat Detective. i have an album's worth of 88.2k/24bit sessions with about 30 tracks. today i started chopping the drums like i've done a thousand times before. the first two went fine. then on the third one i was about 85% done, but then when i hit separate on one of the last sections, i got these error messages:

[image]http://jhimusic.com/web_images/Error1.png[/image] <--- why aren't these pictures showing?

(Time type mismatch occurred in "/Voumes/Development/vb_cliff/AlturaPorts/PT4_App/MacBuild/../../NewFileLibs/Time/Time_Typed.h" line 267)

and then after hitting okay:

[image]http://jhimusic.com/web_images/Error2.png[/image] <--- why aren't these pictures showing?

(Could not complete your request because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/vb_cliff/AlturaPorts/PT4_App/MacOS_Specific/MacBuild/../../Main/ProTools.cpp", line 1551)

and then nothing happens. i am unable to use Beat Detective from that point on. i ended up doing every combination of pref deletion (PT pref & database helper utility), rebooting, and even importing the tracks into a new session - all to no avail. i looked on digi's site and on the DUC and found 4 similar posts in the past year, all unanswered(!). finally i had to import only the drum tracks into a new session, duplicate the 85% that was already BD'ed, and then Beat Detective the remaining 15% separately. i thought there must've been some corruption on the tracks i was working with and hoped it was an anomaly to that session. after all, the first two worked fine.

after a dinner break i come back to start the fourth song. i get 20 bars into it when suddenly i get the same errors and can no longer continue.

i am on a strict deadline and my one and only working tool is broken! i am beside myself. i don't know how i'm going to be able to finish. sigh. what is going on here?? please someone (digi) tell me what i can do so this won't happen anymore. this is totally uncool.

G5Quad 5.5G RAM
OS 10.4.8
PTLE 7.3.1 (latest cs)
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Avid

Default Re: Beat Detective Type Mismatch / Assertion Error HELP!!!!!

What type of drive are you using for recording and playback? Have you tried using a different drive (to narrow down an issue with the drive you're using)?

Do you possibly have any incompatible plug-ins installed?

Can you give me a better idea of your computer configuration - how everything is connected? Which Digidesign hardware are you using?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
What type of drive are you using for recording and playback? Have you tried using a different drive (to narrow down an issue with the drive you're using)?

Do you possibly have any incompatible plug-ins installed?

Can you give me a better idea of your computer configuration - how everything is connected? Which Digidesign hardware are you using?
internal dedicated 500G drive. i haven't tried a different drive, but i already took out all the plugins since i am only editing and i wanted to eliminate that variable, plus i got tired of constantly rebooting and waiting for a long PT boot time. (this can't be good for my mac.)

i am using a 002r with the benchmark media ADC1+DAC1 as the front end, although i've tried setting clock to internal to eliminate that variable, but that made no difference.

here's what i have discovered since my first post. i moved to another session/song and was able to start chopping until a little while into it i got the same errors. i re-deleted prefs/databases and the errors went away for a short while, then returned. again i deleted digi databases and it went away again for a short while, so it seems to be something with the databases repeatedely corrupting themselves.

do you think it could be related to the hundreds and hundreds of audio and fade files that are being created when i chop every 8th note of 16 tracks of drums? it seems to be pushing the envelope...

thanks for your help.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Avid

Let's try this - do a 'Save Copy In' to a different drive and choose to copy all audio files. Quit Pro Tools, trash preference and database files, emty the trash and restart, then open the newly saved session and try everything again.

I'm trying to determine if this is drive related - if this works, then it may be something about that 500GB drive causing the problem, possibly a bad format or corrupted directory.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:04 PM

i will try that later today after a take a break, but for the past hour i went to yet another session on the same drive and have been able to keep working without incident.

that is until i was almost finished the chopping on this session. i was going to nudge a section and i clicked on the nudge triangle to change the amount of nudge, and i got the following error instead:

Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/vb_cliff/AlturaPorts/DFW/MacBuild/../Views/UMenu.MacOS.cpp", line 922

i am unable to change the nudge amount. very strange, yet very similar error to the Separate errors i've been getting, except it seems trashing databases does not remedy this one.

can you tell me what is going on on a technical level? do you know what is happening that i am getting these errors? if it is the drive, what does that have to do with changing nudge amounts?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Avid

I don't know what's happening, specifically.

When you're trashing databases, you're trashing the Digidesign Databases folder at the top level of each drive or partition as well as the main database folder at MacHD>Library>Application Support>Digidesign>Databases? If you don't get all of those, the problem is very likely to keep occurring.

If you ARE doing that, then I'm speculating that the drive you're working with has some kind of corruption - bad format, bad directory, a physical connection issue or something else that's causing the drive to relay incorrect data and either corrupting the databases continually or causing some kind of permissions issue. Testing on another drive should give us more insight as to where the problem lies....
Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 AM

okay, here is the update:

first, i was able to continue on the remaining songs and finish the work scheduled for today.

second, i cannot get the same error to repeat in the two sessions that had all the beat detective problems originally. but they do still have the nudge amount assertion error i mentioned above. i tried both internal and external fw drives, which were identical in results. importing tracks to new sessions appears to solve it, though. unfortunately these sessions have so many audio files in the bin that are not on tracks that simply transferring the tracks to a new session would leave half the audio behind. is there a feature to import the entire bin into a new session?

third, 2-3 out of the dozens times rebooting and relaunching i'd start PT and get a DAE Error -10 during splash screen so i'd reboot again and it'd go away. related or coincidental?

fourth, yes, when deleting databases the volumes folder was also deleted. do you know about the very handy PT utility called "ProTools Pref and Database Helper"?

my initial conjecture is that i'd done so much BDing really fast and created so many regions and xfades that the databases couldn't handle all the updating and that or something else corrupted them, causing the BD Separate button assertion error. but once these errors started showing up this eventually corrupted the sessions themselves, manifesting the Nudge Amount assertion error. deleting databases originally did not solve the problem because as soon as i'd start over i'd do the very thing that caused the corruption. for a while i was in a loop. only after a certain combination of deleting databases, importing just the drum tracks to a new session and consolidating i got the first song finished, but the corruption happened again in the second song for the same reason.

i had a hunch that the overwhelming amount of the BD-created regions and xfades contributed to the initial problem. after our earlier conversations i started working in 16-32 bar sections, consolidating regions as i went so that the overall number would never get crazy again, and i didn't have any more problems the rest of the day.

i'm sure the specified limit of #'s of regions and xfades is much higher than i'm experiencing, right? what do you think?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Avid

The nudge assertion error is a bug we're aware of and have it logged for a fix.

Yes, I'm aware of the PT Preference trashing utility.

That DAE -10 error - I've never seen that before. Are you sure that's the correct error number? Was there any other text in the error message?

Using 'Import Session Data' there's no method to import audio that's not on a track - you would have to do that separately using 'import audio', but that would also mean you're not importing the regions from the previous session.

I really don't know what the upper limits of regions or audio files would be, but I've seen immense sessions with multi-thousands of regions and audio files that did not exhibit any errors, so I'm speculating that, in your case, it's either some kind of session corruption or something else that's causing the problem.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
okay, that's good. i mean good that you know about it, not good that it's a bug, haha. so what do you tell people when they encounter it? is there a workaround?

Yes, I'm aware of the PT Preference trashing utility.

That DAE -10 error - I've never seen that before. Are you sure that's the correct error number? Was there any other text in the error message?

[/QUOTE]

no, just DAE -10 Error. we used to get that a lot with Pro Tools 8-10 years ago when we were trying to get DAE and other extensions to work properly. i haven't seen it in a long time, though.

Quote:
Using 'Import Session Data' there's no method to import audio that's not on a track - you would have to do that separately using 'import audio', but that would also mean you're not importing the regions from the previous session.
hmm, looks like one for the feature request form. (btw, what IS the link to that page? i can't seem to remember or find it now.) a way to import all of a session's audio files would be very helpful and easy to implement.

Quote:
I really don't know what the upper limits of regions or audio files would be, but I've seen immense sessions with multi-thousands of regions and audio files that did not exhibit any errors, so I'm speculating that, in your case, it's either some kind of session corruption or something else that's causing the problem.
well, since i didn't get the error any more once i started BD'ing in 16-32 measure chunks it seems related, but more importantly since i have records to make i'll just work that way until i'm done with this album. and then once i forget about it on the next album (in 1 month) and start BD'ing the entire song before consolidating and i get the error again i'll let you know.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:

okay, that's good. i mean good that you know about it, not good that it's a bug, haha. so what do you tell people when they encounter it? is there a workaround?
I was getting it a lot for a while; trashing all the preferences made it go away. So far.