Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Why do we have to pay Avid to stop being mediocre?

i wasnt talking about cracked version of PT... any cracked software on ur computer
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 AM

Nope only the real deal here! Only using melodyne singletrack which I have upgraded from the essential which came bundles with pro tools 7. Waves plugins gold bundle and kontakt 5 bundle. :)
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

(still waiting for something better than 9.0.5 Beta)
Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 AM

300 ouch!!.... What is that like two rolls of two inch tape back in the 80s. 48 tracks with fifteen minutes of recording time. Don't upgrade if you don't want to spend the money... companies can't operate if they don't make money...

But with that being said its only costing me 300 to upgrade from 9 to 10 where my poor friend is screwed. He just made the move from a g5. running pt 7.4 and upgraded all three hd cards to accel and a new mac pro not even a year ago and now his interface and all three cards just dropped thousands in value as PT 11 will not support any of his hardware. And to crossgrade his current to the new system is around 10 grand, now thats something to be upset about.

But to put in perspective, old studios use to cost a huge amount of money to build and maintain. Musicians had to spend 50 to 100 a hour just to book some time to do a project to get major label recording quality. Now you can get a laptop and an Mbox and get great quality recordings without spending the kind of doe you had to in the analog studio era.

So to stay updated I will spend that 300 a year which takes me a few hours of work to make. I used to be a broke musician who worked as an apprentice in a studio in NYC and would scrape nickels together to buy a reel of tape, fortunately because I was sweeping floors, making coffee, running out to buy studio supplies, they were nice and let us use the room on off hours but I still had to pay for the tape....

Have I had issues with PT, you bet, do I hate parting with my hard earned cash for updates yes, but if you want to stay current with any technology you can bet you are going to have to pay for it or the company that creates it will go out of business, plain and simple.
I work out of my home studio now, no commute, no tape costs, no tape machine and console maintenance, infact I would never have been able to afford an old style studio in my house but thanks to Digidesign, Apple, and all the other developers, I can make a living out of my home.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_flon View Post
Hey mr. Pfo. Could you please explain step by step how your magical system works? (do not take this the wrong way) it has to be some kind of magic when your system work flawlessly and never ever got any kind of stability issues.
Let me be clear -- I'm not saying I've never encountered a bug or crash -- of course I have! All software hangs, or crashes, or has some bizarre issue from time to time. And there have been some versions throughout the years that have been less stable than others, but that's kinda how it goes with software.

But like 25 ghosts, I'm constantly impressed that I can leave Pro Tools up and running for days if I wish, opening and closing multiple sessions with all different configurations, and it hardly ever so much as flinches. Although, I am talking about HD...I can't comment on LE or MPowered.

I know other DAWs are great in their own way, but I'm not interested because mine works really well and gives me no reason to look elsewhere. If it didn't work for me and I couldn't get it to be stable, I'd use something else.

I do work with a guy who uses Logic, and he's constantly having problems. He also has to perform complicated workarounds using multiple different pieces of software just to do some of the tasks I need him to do (that I do in Pro Tools effortlessly). That doesn't mean Logic sucks and Apple is fleecing him and taking his money, it just means Logic is not suited to the tasks I need him to perform.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
300 ouch!!.... What is that like two rolls of two inch tape back in the 80s. 48 tracks with fifteen minutes of recording time. Don't upgrade if you don't want to spend the money... companies can't operate if they don't make money...
I know that it's not so much money! I also earn that kind of money in hours but it's the thing with spending that much time on something new when they haven't even got the 9.0.5 beta to 9.0.5.

I guess everyone want something new at least I do! But I want to see pro tools 9 in real action on my Mac with lion first.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

Old 11-01-2011, 11:05 AM

I feel the frustration, but pro tools is pretty solid here. And it was solid with version 7.4-8-9. I don't say that there is absolutely no problem ever, but I had very few problems over the years.
And when I compared to other daws, pt won all the time.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I know that it's not so much money! I also earn that kind of money in hours but it's the thing with spending that much time on something new when they haven't even got the 9.0.5 beta to 9.0.5.

I guess everyone want something new at least I do! But I want to see pro tools 9 in real action on my Mac with lion first.
Just would like to point out that PT10 IS qualified with Lion. So whether or not they put out 9.0.5 stable isn't going to matter if you upgrade.

Point two: DTS mentioned that they will issue a Lion Qualified version once it was ready. So I would expect to see that sooner than later.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Point two: DTS mentioned that they will issue a Lion Qualified version once it was ready. So I would expect to see that sooner than later.
I am really looking forward to it!
:)
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM

But again I haven't tried Pro Tools 10 but I assume that it's working on Lion? Lion support?
Then how difficult can it be to release an additional update for Pro Tools 9? I guess that the difference with Pro Tools 9 and Pro Tools 10 is the new features only? They can't have changed the whole code?

Remi
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

Old 11-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
But again I haven't tried Pro Tools 10 but I assume that it's working on Lion? Lion support?
Then how difficult can it be to release an additional update for Pro Tools 9? I guess that the difference with Pro Tools 9 and Pro Tools 10 is the new features only? They can't have changed the whole code?

Remi
It's qualified on Lion.

It looks like they have changed huge chunks of the code beteen PT9 and PT10. The whole code? No. The whole code will probably chance for PT11. Hence the advanced notice of a new plug in format and what hardware will and will not with work PT11.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88