Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Why do we have to pay Avid to stop being mediocre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoize View Post
It's not. For 100 piece orchestral sessions, they use Digital Performer and Nuendo. Whoever told you they use Pro Tools is probably lying to you. I know because I've arranged, produced and composed scores for Walt Disney and Dreamworks.

Even if they used Pro Tools in a similar situation, it would be a painstakingly configured, console-centered HD system. Those tend to be much more stable than a native version installed in a regular home computer. It's a very different term of comparison, and it doesn't mean the DAW software is stable - it means the engineers are knowledgeable, and the configuration is tried-and-true.
No idea how you could be in the scoring industry and not know PT is used at Sony, Lucasfilm, and Fox Scoring stages. Also used for large scoring sessions at Abbey Road. Avid even used "AVATAR" as a promo video "behind the scenes" type thing. And of course it's a large HD system. Why wouldn't it be?

Not DP or Nuendo. No one in their right mind would be using a Native system in that situation.

One person I spoke to at Lucasfilm said "Well, we asked...'How many tracks can you guarantee us? to some Nuendo reps. After a rather stumbling answer, they said they "thanked them for dropping by."

And of course it's stable, or they wouldn't be using it. That is WHY it is "tried and true."
Old 10-31-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
No idea how you could be in the scoring industry and not know PT is used at Sony, Lucasfilm, and Fox Scoring stages. Also used for large scoring sessions at Abbey Road. Avid even used "AVATAR" as a promo video "behind the scenes" type thing. And of course it's a large HD system. Why wouldn't it be?

Not DP or Nuendo. No one in their right mind would be using a Native system in that situation.

One person I spoke to at Lucasfilm said "Well, we asked...'How many tracks can you guarantee us? to some Nuendo reps. After a rather stumbling answer, they said they "thanked them for dropping by."

And of course it's stable, or they wouldn't be using it. That is WHY it is "tried and true."
No idea how you could be any sort of audio professional and not know that studios don't just use one software for all their production stages.

Why wouldn't it be? Because you were comparing its stability to other native DAWs, and if you're saying a pro-configured HD system is more stable than other native DAWs then, well, duh!

" Not DP or Nuendo. No one in their right mind would be using a Native system in that situation. "

O RLY? I need to take you on a magical trip to meet the professionals working at those studios, and the software they use on a daily basis :)

Tried and true means it's tried because it's been used a lot, and true because it's understood. Software stability is a completely different thing. The most unstable software can be "tried-and-true" if the people working with it learned, over the years, how to work around its flaws and instability. That's exactly the case with PT.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
O RLY?
O, RLY.

I'm sorry to hear you have so many troubles with stability -- that's never been an issue for me. I certainly wouldn't be using Pro Tools if it wasn't stable. That would be pretty foolish, no?

And here's the thing -- no amount of ranting will convince me that Pro Tools is unstable.

I realize that switching DAWs isn't easy. Hence, I didn't up and switch during our move (can you imagine how ludicrous that would be?). But in your case, it sounds like it might be worth it. It sounds like you're already familiar with several other clearly superior DAWs, so why do you keep spending money on Pro Tools?

The bottom line is, it works for me and what I do, so I use it. It doesn't work for you and what you do, yet you use it anyway, just with a lot of complaining. If that makes me a so-called "fanboy," then I guess I'm a fanboy?

I'm sorry. I know I promised to stop wasting your time by responding to your posts. I don't know why I took the bait again.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:13 AM

Hey mr. Pfo. Could you please explain step by step how your magical system works? (do not take this the wrong way) it has to be some kind of magic when your system work flawlessly and never ever got any kind of stability issues.

I have to be really stupid or something because I cannot get my system to run like yours!

Just a reminder. All the workarounds/FAQs on DUC is already done. There is nothing I haven't tried.

Thx
Remi
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

(still waiting for something better than 9.0.5 Beta)
Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
No idea how you could be any sort of audio professional and not know that studios don't just use one software for all their production stages.

Why wouldn't it be? Because you were comparing its stability to other native DAWs, and if you're saying a pro-configured HD system is more stable than other native DAWs then, well, duh!

" Not DP or Nuendo. No one in their right mind would be using a Native system in that situation. "

O RLY? I need to take you on a magical trip to meet the professionals working at those studios, and the software they use on a daily basis :)

Tried and true means it's tried because it's been used a lot, and true because it's understood. Software stability is a completely different thing. The most unstable software can be "tried-and-true" if the people working with it learned, over the years, how to work around its flaws and instability. That's exactly the case with PT.
Been on the stages, know the composers, know PT is omnipresent and used for all the heavy lifting, it's so documented that it's a silly argument.
The "professionals" using the other DAWS are almost all composers, not the people recording their music. Virtually everything ends up in good old, unstable PT.

There is no major soundstage using DP or Nuendo as their main workstation, and for good reason.

TH
Old 11-01-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_flon View Post
Hey mr. Pfo. Could you please explain step by step how your magical system works? (do not take this the wrong way) it has to be some kind of magic when your system work flawlessly and never ever got any kind of stability issues.

I have to be really stupid or something because I cannot get my system to run like yours!

Just a reminder. All the workarounds/FAQs on DUC is already done. There is nothing I haven't tried.

Thx
Remi

How could anyone not "take it the wrong way" when open your question like that?

You can go on virtually ANY forum on the internet and find people having trouble with ANY DAW. The fact that you are having trouble is not an indictment of the software. There is obviously something in your particular situation causing problems that you haven't found yet. If everyone had your experience the company would have gone out of business years ago.

Right?

TH
Old 11-01-2011, 05:49 AM

It's software! There's nothing wrong with the equipment. As I said earlier! I have done everything from this to that! And also every darn equipment has been checked by professional technicians here in Norway! Even my Mac has been checked by a apple certified reseller close to my home. Switched cables! Bought a new command 8 power adaptor just in case! (and I can tell you that adapters like these aren't easy to find in this country) And why would I do this? Because of error messages and a unstable pro tools!

Why would someone take it the wrong way? Because a lot of people don't manage a discussion, and because some people get mad or sad. That's why.

So know I know that every gear, cable and my Mac pro works perfectly together. So the only thing left is......? Yes, software. Pfo has no problems at all that's why I asked Him.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Stability? Don't make me laugh, dude. Please don't ever talk as if Pro Tools is stable. It's the pickiest application I ever had to deal with, and I've wasted weeks, if not entire months of my life troubleshooting Pro Tools - and I'm a computer engineering major, and I know troubleshooting guides front to back!
Hi TheNoize,

I am not saying this and not meaning it...

I have 2 Macs in the studio both running PT9 & 10.
I NEVER shut those computers down. The Harpertown has run now for 4 years straight. The Nehalem for almost 3. Every now and then I do a restart, of course but Protools runs along with the Macs just fine. It literally never crashes.

I dont have no major in computer or something like that and I believe that a diploma is worth absolutely NOTHING -- I believe in what the person can do, NOT what his diploma states that he can do...

I am very good a trouble shooting.. A perfectionist. Therefore my Macs or my PT aint NEVER sick at sea....

What kind of problems are you having ?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 AM

i would say pirated software is the biggest culprit 9 out of 10 times...ive never had stability issues in my 10 years of using pro tools... i have had crashes on Native systems due to too many plug ins mostly or just running the native engine in the red... in HD i never crash because it wont let u over ride the Hd engine... well u can over ride it with rtas i suppose but u would mostly likely get a buffer error before it crashed... which leads to my final point an error message does not mean ur PT system is unstable it means ur over riding ur system... ur drive is to slow, ur computer is to slow, ur using to many plug ins, to many VIs,to many tracks, etc etc...if u are crashing alot remove all software from ur computer that ur not the registered owner of> make sure all ur plug ins are up to code>make sure ur on the proper operating system> make sure ur using the proper version of PT>make sure ur on a qualified computer>make sure ur not on a "hackintosh"
Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 AM

I totally agree with you Nerd! Ha ha great name! You're not Nerd you are nerd 513. Love it! I didn't think it was possible to crack pro tools due to ilok and stuff. I guess people can't complain If their using a cracked version. But in my case everything is the real deal and I got a powerful real Mac. So now I'm crossing my fingers for a better version of pro tools 9 to get released.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5