Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2011, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Why do we have to pay Avid to stop being mediocre?

Here in Norway MacBook pros never get a new higher price tag. It is always the same price or cheaper :) he he I just had to.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

(still waiting for something better than 9.0.5 Beta)
Old 10-31-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasteveo View Post
In this same train of thought, we should all get brand new Macbook Pros every year they come out with a newer model.

New product, new price tag. Deal with it. If you don't want to pay for the upgrade, stick with 9.
That's the dumbest comparison I ever heard. Hardware doesn't get old fast, because you can update... what? Its software! Software is updatable because it's easier to change code than hardware designs. That's why it's not as expensive, and usually updates within a version are provided for free, and considered part of the software.

Of course, unless that update is masked as an entirely new version in order to juice profit out of the wallets of your customers, who already paid for the last version. If you want to be a complete a**hole like that, you can! But you pay the price. You get people pissed off. And your brand suffers.

OH, and yes, Pro Tools can be a horrible DAW:
- Sure, the interface is great, awesome learning curve.
- Its stability sucks.
- It's the pickiest application on the planet. (For christ sakes, I configured a linksys router as a wireless bridge so I could disable the AirPort card, that completely halts Pro Tools when it's on.)
- Oh, and it's heavy on the system.
- It's completely outdated in respect to other DAWs on the market.
- It's overpriced.
- As an inside reference...code is badly documented. It's a pain to update it. That's why Avid hired a development team to solve the Pro Tools codebase problem, and then fired a bunch of people recently (just as Pro Tools 10 was released. What a coincidence!).

But it's the industry standard. And smart people know that they should know the industry standard very well, if they want to be smart musicians/engineers/producers. Is that clear enough for you?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:12 AM

Avid hears complaints about the price of the updates, and their decision is to release a 15-day TRIAL? I mean, seriously? Come on. No comment needed there.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 AM

A 15 day trial for pro tools 10??? Wf! I know this thread is being watched by avid crew.
READ this! Work on the 9.0.5 beta and finish it for heavens sake. Release the 9.1 version before hell freezes over! We want a stable release of pro tools 9 (at least I do) not a trial for pro tools 10. Pleeeease!
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Logic Pro 9
Reason 5

(still waiting for something better than 9.0.5 Beta)
Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_flon View Post
A 15 day trial for pro tools 10??? Wf! I know this thread is being watched by avid crew.
READ this! Work on the 9.0.5 beta and finish it for heavens sake. Release the 9.1 version before hell freezes over! We want a stable release of pro tools 9 (at least I do) not a trial for pro tools 10. Pleeeease!
I know it's business as usual for all companies, and I also admit I haven't researched this, but is it possible there's a new CEO (or some other high rank executive) in place that is simply trying to grow revenue no matter what, and impress his/her bosses or company owners/shareholders?

It's simply plain wrong, business wise and morally, to charge $250 for a buggy PT9 upgrade, and before most issues in PT9 are ironed, pretend to charge another $300 to upgrade to PT10, which I would assume carries over all the buggy VIs (DB-33, Xpand2, etc.) plus all other unresolved bugs and issues. Or can Avid guarantee the contrary if I upgrade to PT10?

I've been a fan of PT for a while (since PT5 I think). I've never even looked at other options, because I've been so happy with it, bugs and all. The company seemed to have a reasonable "mind". Now, I'm starting to wonder...

And I know I "don't have to" upgrade to PT10, but we all know we "do have to" if we want to stay in the game.

https://linktr.ee/sergius128
Old 10-31-2011, 05:47 AM

Agree I regret the upgrade from pt9 to pt10. 299$ way to much!!! Refunding procedure....engaged !
Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 AM

It is simple. Avid needs customers. To keep them you have to please them. You cannot satisfy your customers with such a 'coke crazed' upgrade tempo.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 AM

I feel like I am being forced out of using Protools. I have two versions of PT PTMP 7 and LE 8. I was saving some cash ($249.00) for the LE upgrade. It was in my shopping cart. Then WHAM it hit me like a tsunami. Version 10 = $499.00= That's it= Force quit = I just can't afford it. It is best to catch a little fish everyday than a whole boatload today and none tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:18 AM

How would I proceed to get a refund for my Pro Tools 9 update? Does anyone know? I want my $250 back. There's nothing new about Pro Tools 9 that I have ever used :/

Pro Tools 10 Launch Meeting (hilarious) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHAb85Rpck0#!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoize View Post
How would I proceed to get a refund for my Pro Tools 9 update? Does anyone know? I want my $250 back. There's nothing new about Pro Tools 9 that I have ever used :/
You're suggesting it's Avid's fault that you didn't properly research the product before you bought it? Come on man, get over yourself.

I bought Pro Tools 9 when I did for one reason: we were in the midst of moving, and I needed to be able to keep up my editing work with as little downtime as possible. Being able to use the computer's headphone output to work without setting up all my racks and gear was a total lifesaver -- it meant I could keep the income stream flowing without too much disruption. Of course that might not apply to you. The point is, I read the feature set, saw something that was immensely useful to me and bought the software because of it. Blindly purchasing it without considering how it might be useful to me would have been foolish.