Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2018, 04:59 AM

Default Mac Audio affected by installers now??

Hi all, i've noticed since I installed pro tools 2018 on both Macs that on boot up the audio preferences default to the Mac Pro digital out port... it doesn't matter what I set it to during working (display audio or built in Mac speaker ) for system sounds , it always boots up to the digital out and has to be changed ... anyone else seen this and know a fix?
Old 02-17-2018, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Mac Audio affected by installers now??

I don't know about the MBP but your cheesegrater has a small coin battery that's supposed to hold certain system settings. That may well be on it's last legs and needs to be changed. Those batteries are available at most drug stores. Here's a video on how to do it; this may not be your specific model cheesegrater but basically remove the video card and the battery is hiding behind there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6muaxHh5is

Then reset the nvram on next bootup.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2018, 06:05 AM

Thanks Musicman, didn't think of that! but strange it's happened to two machines at the exact same time! although they are both 2010 boxes... will see :) cheers
Old 02-17-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syMPh View Post
Thanks Musicman, didn't think of that! but strange it's happened to two machines at the exact same time! although they are both 2010 boxes... will see :) cheers
That is weird. Like I said I don't know how to fix the MBP and if you come up with a way or a site that has instructions could you pass it along please? Those type batteries don't last a long time. I have to change the one in my MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB every 3 years or so. The 2012 MacPro I have I just got from OWC a couple of months ago and as part of their refurb I believe they changed the battery out. At least the one in the MacPro isn't soldered in like on old pc motherboards

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2018, 05:05 PM

Hey syMPh. Not sure this matters but what are you using to change the output? System prefs or Audio MIDI Setup? Try AMS if you haven't already.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:13 PM

hey Dwayne, I had been doing it with system prefs only and trashing prefs in library but will try AMS today! I haven't changed the battery yet but grabbing one later and out she comes. Glad it's not soldered Musicman, unlike the fader packs in my desk which all must be real close to needing replacing. That job's worthy of putting off as long as humanly possible! thanks for the advice guys :) cheers
Old 02-19-2018, 12:18 AM

hey guys, I've put a new battery in, reset SMC, nvram (both twice) and deleted all prefs ... changed in AMS and System preferences. Deleted Avid HD Drivers and left them off. Whenever I boot into my Sierra Partition which now has PT12.8.3 my sound preferences default to Digital out..I still have to change every time! I have an old drive with mountain lion on it and if I boot that I don't get the same problem.. seems to happen on my Sierra install and on the other machine with High Sierra on I get the same behaviour. Very weird I'd appreciate any other thoughts if someone else has seen something like this !
Old 02-19-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syMPh View Post
hey guys, I've put a new battery in, reset SMC, nvram (both twice) and deleted all prefs ... changed in AMS and System preferences. Deleted Avid HD Drivers and left them off. Whenever I boot into my Sierra Partition which now has PT12.8.3 my sound preferences default to Digital out..I still have to change every time! I have an old drive with mountain lion on it and if I boot that I don't get the same problem.. seems to happen on my Sierra install and on the other machine with High Sierra on I get the same behaviour. Very weird I'd appreciate any other thoughts if someone else has seen something like this !
And this is happening on both machines right?
Did you do any OSX changes in either one like going to a new OSX? If so did you do a clean install or an in-situ install? Further did you use Migration Assisstant (aka Migration Assassin) to move programs and stuff over? MA will not give good results and can cause weirdness.

I know the Apple Way is to install a new OSX right over the top an old one (an in-situ install). That doesn't always work out as one would hope. I had that problem once when for giggles I tried an in-situ going from Mavericks to Yosemite; Digital Performer gave me all kinds of fits that only got fixed by wiping the system drive and installing Yosemite from scratch along with all my apps.

QAPLA!
Old 02-23-2018, 12:30 AM

Hey Musicman, I had one machine which I upgraded by putting a fresh install of High Sierra on it. The other machine has been left as it was on Sierra. The only thing which has happened is I took the Sierra drive out of the "clean" machine and used it to booth the high Sierra machine a few times while I was trying to get high Sierra sorted out... I don't know how that could have done anything to either but I also have a old mountain lion drive which if used to boot all these audio errors aren't evident. so I might just go and reinstall a new high Sierra on a fresh drive and see if that fixes the issue... Thanks very much for chiming in with all the suggestions guys :) cheers