Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 AM

Default Over 11000 HDX systems have been sold now

Just happened to catch this article about Avid, which mentions that over 11000 HDX systems have been sold. It was only last August that a similar article mentioned 7500 had been sold. So they seem to be on a good pace.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/avid-s...130000234.html
Old 03-21-2014, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Over 11000 HDX systems have been sold now

I wonder how that compares to HD systems at the same time after their launch and in total.

It does make you wonder WHERE THE HECK ARE THE AAX DSP plugs!!!

11,000 systems isn't a market worth going after???? Strange.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I wonder how that compares to HD systems at the same time after their launch and in total.

Alright, Drew. I'm not going to say anything...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:

+1
Unbelievably frustrating. Waves in particular.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
+1
Unbelievably frustrating. Waves in particular.
+1

But… the Waves Alternative train has left the station.

j
Old 03-22-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:

... WHERE THE HECK ARE THE AAX DSP plugs!!!
+1
Old 03-21-2014, 11:28 PM

I've bought McDSP, Flux, Maag, MWD, CraneSong, Softtube, SPL Tube Saturator, and I'm taking another look at the plugs from Avid to handle my AAX DSP needs.
I'm hoping to get the Sonnox bundle soon as well. That should cover most of my channel needs. It would be nice if SoundsToys got back into the DSP game.
I think we'll see more companies offer AAX DSP by years end... Wishful thinking.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike496 View Post
I've bought McDSP, Flux, Maag, MWD, CraneSong, Softtube, SPL Tube Saturator, and I'm taking another look at the plugs from Avid to handle my AAX DSP needs.
I'm hoping to get the Sonnox bundle soon as well. That should cover most of my channel needs. It would be nice if SoundsToys got back into the DSP game.
I think we'll see more companies offer AAX DSP by years end... Wishful thinking.
I've picked up a few AAX DSP plugs (Maag, McDSP, Kush UBK-1 [though the AAX DSP version of UBK-1 turned out to be very buggy]), to try to fill in the gaps on aux channels, but I've yet to find anybody who's making AAX DSP replacements for most of the Waves stuff that's found it's way into my templates over the last 10 years or so. Their Fairchild, LA-2A, 1176, API-2500, SSL Bus Comp, C1-sc, Q10, RComp, and others are in every session and as far as I can tell, there are no AAX DSP replacements. So, as a result I'm running sessions with a TON of delay compensation by the time mixing is done, and of course, barely touching the HDX card for DSP. . . .
It's all very puzzling. I mean even at $200 upgrade fee per Waves TDM user, if you sell 10,000 upgrades, that's $2M in new revenue almost immediately just for porting their current plugs to AAX DSP. This is to say nothing about the dominance that Waves could establish in that market (which is now wide open as far as I can tell). Are you telling me there are music software companies out there, regardless of size, that are not interested in an additional $2M in revenue this year? At $400/user that's $4M! Would any of you not pay that amount to have all your Waves plugs working as AAX DSP?

Last edited by WildHoney; 03-22-2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-22-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
I've yet to find anybody who's making AAX DSP replacements for most of the Waves stuff that's found it's way into my templates over the last 10 years or so...
It's all very puzzling. I mean even at $200 upgrade fee per Waves TDM user, if you sell 10,000 upgrades, that's $2M in new revenue almost immediately just for porting their current plugs to AAX DSP… At $400/user that's $4M! Would any of you not pay that amount to have all your Waves plugs working as AAX DSP?
I own a small facility. I have three HD TDM systems and two LE systems. I'm about six months into a migration plan. It's important that we be able to open sessions on any of the TDM rigs, so any plugin that I buy, I need to buy multiple copies. We are holding fast to PT v10, and plugin by plugin, eliminating our dependence upon Waves (I have three Platinum Bundles and the Surround 360 Bundle). Our migration plan calls for HDX hardware and an emphasis on AAX DSP plugin vendors. I plan to invest heavily in McDSP and other DSP providers later this year. We've already started buying into smaller bundles and single plugins that are AAX and AAX DSP. We are demoing a lot of AAX offerings.

With an archive that goes back 15+ years that relies heavily on Waves, I'll keep a dongle with a "downgraded" Waves AAX Native license on it so that archived sessions can be opened. I worry about Waves' commitment to any future evolution of AAX in the near term. It will be interesting to see if PT 12 will create any "issues" for vendors that will require new versions of their AAX plugins.

Time will tell if Waves reverses their decision on DSP, but we've already made the decision: we're moving on without Waves.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDaniel View Post
I own a small facility. I have three HD TDM systems and two LE systems. I'm about six months into a migration plan. It's important that we be able to open sessions on any of the TDM rigs, so any plugin that I buy, I need to buy multiple copies. We are holding fast to PT v10, and plugin by plugin, eliminating our dependence upon Waves (I have three Platinum Bundles and the Surround 360 Bundle). Our migration plan calls for HDX hardware and an emphasis on AAX DSP plugin vendors. I plan to invest heavily in McDSP and other DSP providers later this year. We've already started buying into smaller bundles and single plugins that are AAX and AAX DSP. We are demoing a lot of AAX offerings.

With an archive that goes back 15+ years that relies heavily on Waves, I'll keep a dongle with a "downgraded" Waves AAX Native license on it so that archived sessions can be opened. I worry about Waves' commitment to any future evolution of AAX in the near term. It will be interesting to see if PT 12 will create any "issues" for vendors that will require new versions of their AAX plugins.

Time will tell if Waves reverses their decision on DSP, but we've already made the decision: we're moving on without Waves.
So, what have you found in AAX DSP format that replaces some of the plug ins I mentioned. e.g. LA-2A, 1176, Fairchild, API 2500, SSL Bus Comp, C1-sc, etc. . . ?