Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2018, 08:02 AM

Default Make Application Manager and Cloud Client Services separate installer

With every new update I need to go uninstall those pointless applications.
Not only do they clutter the disk, they write themselves into system auto start and put themselves into the menu bar of MacOS.

The wasted time and effort that goes into those applications could be spent much better - as in working on new features maybe...?
But even if your coding monkeys spent that time with additional coffee breaks or whatever it would be a better use than spamming us users with that crap nobody needs or asked for.

At least make it an optional tick within the installer. Don't make users waste their time too, with the need to uninstall them every time.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 12-16-2018, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Make Application Manager and Cloud Client Services separate installer

Probably something that most users agree on ... and when I do forget to uninstall or quit after an upgrade, I'm not convinced that Application Manager doesn't adversely impact wider Mac system performance too!

Anyway, it appears that Avid have finally taken note (how hard would it have been to have made it optional to include on startup?!) and the forthcoming Avid Link (currently in beta) will surely address this :)
Old 12-16-2018, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Make Application Manager and Cloud Client Services separate installer

Agreed. Or how about a simple "Check for Updates" in the "Help" menu as in Microsoft Office - with the ability to set to "manual"? Traditionally, the studio's ProTools computer was never connected to the Internet. It was meant to be dedicated to doing its singular job without any outside activity distracting the processor. Maybe that's changed now, but AppMann presumes not only a connection but it seriously bogarts the processor when launching PT. The sound of my MBPro fans kicking in when launching an updated PT reminds me that I've forgotten to run the uninstaller...