Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 12-15-2018, 02:29 PM

Default Interface Software (Focusrite Control, Apogee Console, etc) Plays Nice with Pro Tools

27" iMac, split Fusion drive (SSD for system, spinner for smaller VI samples), i7, 16GB RAM, 2x SSDs for samples, 3TB Thunderbolt drive for sessions. OS is Sierra, PT version 2018.7.
---
Looking to upgrade my Komplete Audio 6 to a new interface with the goals of:

1. Increasing ins/outs (that part's easy)
2. Reducing latency for remote interviews* by using pre-DAW routing software like Focusrite Control, Apogee Console, etc. (Note: an analog mixer is an option too but I don't have questions about that yet).

My concern is that Pro Tools is finicky and sometimes when I add software to the iMac it doesn't always play nice with PT. For example, Chrome really ticked off PT. And I use Little Snitch to stop apps from phoning home and causing the dreaded -6101 error.

Are any of you fine folks using Control, Console, etc? And if so, what has your experience been?

Note: not looking at UAD or Waves Soundgrid as I feel those would be overkill.

*more info: client calls via Tieline Bridgeit VOIP box that goes analog into KA6. Phone guest is called on Skype, routed internally via Source Elements. I also have a Telos One phone hybrid I sometimes use, that comes in analog on KA6 as well. There will always be latency with phones, and with the Tieline. Since I want to get more I/O anyway, I'm looking for a way to knock down other sources of latency, and pre-DAW submixes (via software or analog mixer) would help.

Thank you!
Old 12-15-2018, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Interface Software (Focusrite Control, Apogee Console, etc) Plays Nice with Pro T

Well not following your request exactly, but I am pretty impressed by the UAD Console and Apollo X interfaces. Been trying out stuff and looking to buy maybe two new boxes. So my bias now would be to start comparing anything to that. Would say an Apollo 6x really be overkill? UAD seem to provide pretty good engineering updates and good support, occasional issues like any vendor.

You sure round trip latencies with Skype will be helped by hardware monitoring?
Old 12-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Interface Software (Focusrite Control, Apogee Console, etc) Plays Nice with Pro T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Well not following your request exactly, but I am pretty impressed by the UAD Console and Apollo X interfaces. Been trying out stuff and looking to buy maybe two new boxes. So my bias now would be to start comparing anything to that. Would say an Apollo 6x really be overkill? UAD seem to provide pretty good engineering updates and good support, occasional issues like any vendor.

You sure round trip latencies with Skype will be helped by hardware monitoring?
Good question. I plan to get a Telos HX1 and ditch Skype.

An Apollo 6X is $2000. A Focusrite Clarett 8Pre is under $900. An onboard DSP and UA's associated plugs would be nice but it's overkill. I'm not tracking orchestras or even bands. It's just me.