Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-01-2001, 01:56 PM

Default ok.,,, my song is 5:25...but, I want the same song to be 5:15 -- how do I condense?

Is there a completely SIMPLE way to condense/change tempo of a finished, non-midi session?

I'd bet there is, but I am too nervous to experiment with my 18-22 track gems [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Any quick solutions via PT LE??

MMBB
Old 09-01-2001, 02:16 PM

Default Re: ok.,,, my song is 5:25...but, I want the same song to be 5:15 -- how do I condense?

highlight whole song. audiosuite. time compress/expanse. there you go. a nice piece of crap.

serrato by pitch in time is a audiosuite plug-in that takes time compression expansion seriously.
Old 09-01-2001, 05:58 PM

Default Re: ok.,,, my song is 5:25...but, I want the same song to be 5:15 -- how do I condense?

Pitch n Time and Speed work great for stereo mixes. It is a common misconception, however, that these plugins work well with mono phonic single instruments. These plugins are designed for and work well with stereo polyphonic mixes. So do time compress after you've bounced down.

From my experience working professionally with ProTools, the best single instrument time compression algotrithm is Synchro Arts Toolbelt. It is outstanding, and far better than the completely unusable Pitch n Time and Speed. Digi's TCE is second-- it's not bad for monophonic stuff with small changes.
Old 09-02-2001, 02:55 AM

The best way to go would be to rearrange your song so that it fits your desired timing, but you're talking about a completly simple way, so...I would mostly follow the previous advice : bounce to disk before time compress. Also, if you have to use the Digirack plugin (which as graphite said is not really the best there is...), I would split the resulting stereo mix and apply Time compression part by part (intro, verse, chorus...whatever else you've got). The result should be more musical than applying to a whole 5'25" mix ! An even better way to go, in my opinion, would be to apply time C° only to one part of your song and thus keep the rest intact (it will have to be a non-rythmic part such as a long guitar intro, a string break in the middle of the song...).

PS: to Uno1234 : I remember having seen or maybe used this plugin you're talking about somewhere. Could you give more details about it (who's developping it), I'd like to get a REAL Time Tool. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2001, 07:59 AM

Re: the song that's too long-- the best way to "time compress" is to edit your song. Find an unnecessary verse or turn around. Be creative. It will sound alot better in the end.

Re: Synchro Arts Toolbelt. It does not run in real time, and it doesn't even run in audiosuite! It's a stand along program, but the company has designed macros for Digidesign that allows you to select a chunk of audio, and the macro will automatically export from ProTools, launch Toolbelt software, import to Toolbelt, and allow you to do processing. When you hit "process", it exports the file from Toolbelt, reimports it to ProTools, and spots the file to the correct location. It works fine (you get great results, so who cares how hard it is to use). It might take a minute to get the hang out it.

You can download a demo from syncrhoarts.com. Toolbelt also has some other cool tools, so definitely check it out. I think it costs about $350-400. The company also makes VocAlign, which is the most amazing tool for aligning out of rhythm background vocals. Get that demo too.

(and no I don't work for them.)
Old 09-02-2001, 08:10 AM

In my opinion, nothing beats Pitch-n-time 2. It has saved my whole project. I have been working on a children's album where the kids did not sing together. Each child was tracked on their own mono track. By using one track as the guide and dropping envelop markers in the other, I was able to time align each kid by time compressing and expanding within the same selection. This plugin rules!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It works great with stereo amd mono files.

Steve
Old 09-02-2001, 04:45 PM

www.serato.com You can download a free 30 day demo that is fully functional. The plugin costs about $800.00 direct. It is probably cheaper from a dealer. Try it out. I think it is well worth the money.

-Steve

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: sonicprod1 ]
Old 09-02-2001, 06:47 PM

I've found that pitch n time makes everything sound slightly robotic, even if you apply nearly no TCE and just hit "process". It's been a total waste of money for me.
Old 09-03-2001, 12:01 AM

THANK YOU, COMRADES...

I have decided NEXT time I will simply use a smaller keyboard and shorter cables... that should do it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Midi
Old 09-03-2001, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the link Uno, I'll check it out...
Sonic, same question : who's developping Pitch n Time 2?
Thanks in advance...