Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2020, 04:50 PM

Default TD-30 and Addictive Drums 2: MIDI notes triggering incorrect sound

I haven't posted here in a long time, trying to be thorough. I am getting incorrect sounds coming back from AD2 when the MIDI input and the map seem to both say the right one should play.

Just picked up a new MacBook Pro (MacOS 10.15 Catalina 10.15.5) and Focusrite 18i8 interface and connecting a TD-30 via USB through a T3 hub. Verified MIDI data is being received by the Mac. I loaded Pro Tools Ultimate and Addictive Drums 2, and checked the mapping between the expected notes for the drum kit pieces (e.g., Tom 1 open hit is D2). I have the insert listening for midi port 10, which is where the TD-30 is sending data.

When I hit Tom 1 on the TD-30, I see "D2 127" register in Midi Monitor for both note on and off.

But...the hi-hat open sound plays when I hit it. And no matter what I change, it still happens the same way. The kick drum and the snare are correct, but everything else is off or playing hi-hat. I have re-installed the TD-30 driver twice, still the same result.

I am about to take up gardening. Any ideas or thoughts on where I may be off?

Pro Tools Ultimate
MacBook Pro Late 2019
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Roland TD-30
Axiom Pro 61
Old 07-22-2020, 06:31 PM

Default Re: TD-30 and Addictive Drums 2: MIDI notes triggering incorrect sound

I did some work with ADrums2 and TD10, I think it was, a few years ago. I remember having to edit the midi mapping for some of the drums, and saving that setting. I could also load settings for other brands/models E-drums. The page where I did that was buried quite deep in AD menus, like behind a button on a settings page. Have you seen that page, with the vertical keyboard where you edit the mapping?
Old 07-23-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I did some work with ADrums2 and TD10, I think it was, a few years ago. I remember having to edit the midi mapping for some of the drums, and saving that setting. I could also load settings for other brands/models E-drums. The page where I did that was buried quite deep in AD menus, like behind a button on a settings page. Have you seen that page, with the vertical keyboard where you edit the mapping?
I have in fact, it is behind the upper right hand corner question mark, you can select from a pretty complete list of Roland drum brains, I have tried many of them to resolve this.

As an update, I am going to bring my TD-30 in for a check up at a local service center, I think I have an issue with how the kit is working. I will update this thread once I get it back from the shop.

Pro Tools Ultimate
MacBook Pro Late 2019
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Roland TD-30
Axiom Pro 61
Old 07-23-2020, 11:51 AM

I also used Addictive Drums with a TD10 kit and by choosing the Roland preset in the plugin, ALMOST everything triggered nicely(only pads that were off were the AUX pads). You can go into the Roland brain and change midi note assignments(which I needed to do so I could get either a side stick, or a cowbell on an extra trigger pad). I'd also check out any available videos on Additive Drums 2 as you may find more info than you have right now

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave