Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 05-04-2018, 03:22 AM

Default Cannot open a a project

Hi
I'm new to ProTools (First). I already use Reaper with no problems.

I installed this 2 days ago and I have not so far been able to open any project in Pro Tools. So for me it is unusable. I am temped to call it quits and delte it. However, I would like to learn ProTools and had planned to perhaps take a subscription ultimately.

I think the problem may be that I use SonarWorks Profiler which can confuse in terms of its Audio Inputs and outputs and that of the sound card. Hewre's what happens.
1. I go to the dashboard and create a new project
2. The project starts to be created and then 3 boxes come up with messages
Old 05-04-2018, 03:59 AM

Default Cannot open a a project

Hi,

Please could someone advise? I have just installed ProTools First on my PC running Win 64 OS.

I have not yet even been able to open a new project. I had planned to learn ProTools and maybe take out a sub, but it is currently unusable for me.

My audio device is an external Fireface 800 unit, and I also have SonarWorks headphones profiler (which may be a problem as it uses its own audio driver in Windows I think). I also use currently have Reaper running on the same PC without any issues.

What happens when I try to open or create a project is:

1. A box comes up saying some audio inputs have become inactive because the hardware device has changed (it hasn't) - but even if there was a problem I can't do much with PT's own audio settings to correct the problem (that I know of anyway) - and what it says looks right (Analog 1/2)

the log says:
Comments

Some inputs or outputs may have become inactive because your

audio hardware device has changed.

Missing Inputs
The input "Input 1" on

track "Audio 1" is not available in the current I/O setup.
The input "Input

1" on track "Audio 2" is not available in the current I/O setup.
The input

"Input 1-2" on track "Audio 3" is not available in the current I/O setup.
The input "Input 1-2" on track "Audio 4" is not available in the current

I/O setup.

When I checked the Hardware settings tab, ProTools brings up my Fireface settings box which looks OK - I run all audio internally at 48KHz

In the Playback options box it also looks correct (OUTPUT: Analog 1/2) and 48KHz audio is also correct.

2. PT gives a message saying one or more tracks contain plugins that do not exist - Xpnd2 is absent - then it asks if wish to acquire it from Avid (no I don't).

3. It then gives the error message:
Could not save as "0000" because Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 222437\ ProTools\ App\ Document\ UProjectBundleMgr.cpp", line 1693.

4. A box comes up that says "Hard fail - uploading new project [name]".

Hope you can help as I cannot even get started with PT at the moment.

Kind regards,

Ray Harris
Old 05-04-2018, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Cannot open a a project

Hi Ray !

Sorry to hear that !

On windows its very important with some Audio Interfaces that they are not set as default playback device on windows sound panel . Can you check this ? Im gonna try to help you here .
Old 05-04-2018, 11:19 AM

HI

Thanks for your quick response; appreciate your help.

Why it is important that some Audio interfaces are not set as the default playback device? No other DAWs I have used seem to have minded that. And if so, which device should be set as default, as I don't have any other active audio devices - I have disabled the internal sound card.

The Fireface 800 has a number of devices showing in Windows Sound. The default device is called 'Speakers Fireface 800'. Other devices include all the ADAT channels, some unused Analog outputs and SPDIF.

Sonarworks has its own virtual Audio Device which is not used or set as default.

Does that help?

Kind regards,

Ray
Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 AM

Hi well with PT this is an issue with some interface drivers . Can go deep into this later . But for now can you enable your integrated card and select it as default playback device and test again ?
Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 PM

In Sound control panel under Playback tab set all devices "enabled" with onboard soundcard (usually "speakers/headphones or realtek audio) set to "default". Select Preferences for your interface. Select advanced. Set to desired sample rate(whatever the project is in, suggest 24 bit 44.1 to start). Select Recording tab. Enable all devices. Set "Line in" or "Microphone" to default(I usually use line in). Select preferences for your interface. Select advanced. Set sample rate to the same as playback was set to. Start Pro tools while holding the "n" key pressed. It should bring the playback engine dialog up. The options available in the dialog should include your interface . If not you may have to use ASIO4ALL driver instead of the one for your interface.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
In Sound control panel under Playback tab set all devices "enabled" with onboard soundcard (usually "speakers/headphones or realtek audio) set to "default". Select Preferences for your interface. Select advanced. Set to desired sample rate(whatever the project is in, suggest 24 bit 44.1 to start). Select Recording tab. Enable all devices. Set "Line in" or "Microphone" to default(I usually use line in). Select preferences for your interface. Select advanced. Set sample rate to the same as playback was set to. Start Pro tools while holding the "n" key pressed. It should bring the playback engine dialog up. The options available in the dialog should include your interface . If not you may have to use ASIO4ALL driver instead of the one for your interface.
Hi

Thanks for your help. I am going to be away for a few days next week, so probably won't get the chance to do it for a little while. I will try it when I get the chnace, as I may have to enable the original sound card in BIOS, I think it was disabled.

Bear in mind I am in the UK not US

Kind regards,

Ray
Old 05-05-2018, 09:01 AM

The fact other DAWs aren't affected by whatever has nothing to do with Pro Tools. That's why Avid is DIVA spelled backwards.

Make sure Pro Tools is closed.

Enable the onboard soundcard in BIOS. Go to Control Panel>Sound and make the onboard soundcard the default for Playback and Record. Disable anything RME.

Open your FF 800 Control Panel and set the Bit and Sample Rate to 24/44.1 and set the Buffer to 512.

Holding Down the "N" key, launch Pro Tools. Keep the "N" key pressed as PT loads. This should bring up the Playback Engine Dialogue. Make sure the RME ASIO driver is selected there and the Buffer is at 512 and hit Okay.

Create a session at 24/44.1 All good now?

If not, see the "Help Us Help You" Link at the top of each forum and follow the directions there, including posting a SisSoft Sandra report if necessary.

There is also at least one Avid Knowledgebase article on Assertion Errors. You can search for them or search the Forums for your assertion error.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-06-2018, 03:17 AM

Hi

Thanks for your advice. It may be a while before I can try to activate the default card, as I am away anyway this week, but also last night I tried to get into BIOS to do this and the PC keeps hanging when I trry to enter BIOS. So I can't even reset the default card.

I will try again at some point, but it seems I have other problems with my PC which may be part of the issues I've been having with PT.

If I have any questions I'll let you know. But I really appreciate the advice you have all given me.

This is a great forum.

Kind regards,

Ray
Old 08-11-2020, 03:07 PM

Can someone PLEASE help me!? Tjis is what im dealing with now smh i have a 64 bit win 10 hp