Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Remember Pro Tools is very dependant on what hardware you have!
ONLY in the PC world, gang. I've used this gear from the earliest days of "Sound Tools" and AudioMedia2 cards. All in Macs and all working perfectly. When the standard changed from SCSI drives to allow ATA/IDE and at the pre Oxford Chip set standard for FireWire the macs had some bumpy years but in it all we were never asked to turn off something as basic to computer function as our network cards.

This type of problem only came as a result of Avid moving to support the PC, the most notoriously 'open' platform available with nearly no standards. So you get to pay 'half' for your computer than a Mac would cost - but you get 'double' the problems making Avid's software/hardware work. All of life has trade offs, gang. Not to start a Mac vs PC debate. But we have to call things what they are.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Disgusted. Returning this product

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
ONLY in the PC world, gang...
...in it all we were never asked to turn off something as basic to computer function as our network cards...
I was forced to switch from a Mac to a PeeCee ten years ago because I needed to be able to test my CD masters for errors. I found if you spring for a supported Dell or HP workstation it is every bit as bullet-proof as a Mac Pro. Yes, you can pay a lot less for a PeeCee but you get exactly what you pay for.

I've also run into a number of occasions where you needed to disable networking on a Mac. In fact, as I recall, this was always recommended by Digidesign from the very beginning.

(I had serial #130. and was, among other things, the very first person to ever use ST and PT at Skywalker Ranch.)
Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I was forced to switch from a Mac to a PeeCee ten years ago because I needed to be able to test my CD masters for errors. I found if you spring for a supported Dell or HP workstation it is every bit as bullet-proof as a Mac Pro. .
Sadly even the supported machines aren't as bullet proof (PeeCees) in my experience UNLESS you do all the 'unnatural' deactivation they ask for in their 'optimization' doc for PC's. "Optimization"?? I call it "crippling". You can't even look at the SCREEN and READ things with the FONT SMOOTHING turned off. And who doesn't need to check calendar/email and read about a product from the net in the MIDDLE of an editing session by yourself. Mac has NEVER needed this crippling of internet at the 'Ethernet card' level. Airport turned off? Yes.. And Avid is the only software that needs that. But the difference is that on a PC you need to turn off your NETWORK card which means you can't even use your hard connected Ethernet cable. At least on a MAC I can keep a hardwire connection to my router -which to me is even more stable than wifi.
Quote:
Yes, you can pay a lot less for a PeeCee but you get exactly what you pay for,
My point 'exactly'.
Quote:
I've also run into a number of occasions where you needed to disable networking on a Mac.
With respect, Bob, I have never seen this in writing as an optimization for a MAC. And I know it's not needed on a MAC now (at least not crippling the 'network card' for hardwire Enet cable connection as is the requirement for a PC).

Quote:
In fact, as I recall, this was always recommended by Digidesign from the very beginning.
Maybe -- don't think so.. But the point is -- now..

Quote:
(I had serial #130. and was, among other things, the very first person to ever use ST and PT at Skywalker Ranch.)
VERY cool!. I was around 'back in those' early days of sending the 2 mix out of my 'mastering' gear to a MAC with an AudioMedia2 and 3 card. Which droid were using then? A Mac SE30? Or with even the older one, MacSE?, with the SE30 mother board upgrade... LOL!!!!!! Oh boy -- that was real 'frontier' digital recording then -- what 1992'ish?

Have a good day, Bob!
Grant
Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 PM

This is very interesting reading. Thanks for posting, guys. As for my problem, my hardware conforms to what is needed. I checked before I installed all this a couple of years ago. Had my machine running along happily, then, after a couple-of-months lay-off from using ProTools, a project comes up, go to start PT, and BAM.... Nothing happens. Admitedly, this machine is a multi-tasker, and any installed program (God knows what) could be argueing w/ PT. I just don't have the resources to have a dedicated machine.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croSSeduP View Post
This is very interesting reading. Thanks for posting, guys. As for my problem, my hardware conforms to what is needed. I checked before I installed all this a couple of years ago. Had my machine running along happily, then, after a couple-of-months lay-off from using ProTools, a project comes up, go to start PT, and BAM.... Nothing happens. Admitedly, this machine is a multi-tasker, and any installed program (God knows what) could be argueing w/ PT. I just don't have the resources to have a dedicated machine.
Very well said. We ALL need 'multitasking' machines. And don't always have the $ for a dedicated machine.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 PM

I'm running a PC and don't have my ethernet card turned off. I have minimal concern over most other optimizations. I've had fewer problems than most with PT 8 or 9 and I built this machine. Not to say that Macs aren't made for this stuff it's just that a good PC can be made for this too. It's all a matter of operator error afaic. That and the fact that the PC world is so full of cracks and garbage that people insist is safe. Then when they find out that something doesn't jive, they blame hardware or anything other than the software they stole. Not saying the OP is using cracks. I'm just saying it happens more often than not.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

All legit software thank you very much.

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 PM

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...=compaq+laptop

Sometimes you really have to work hard to make it NOT work...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh