How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2017, 01:42 AM

Default Error trying to save session

Hi guys,

Has anyone had issues trying to save sessions before?
Out of nowhere, every now and again, I'll try to save a session and it won't' let me.
the error message I received yesterday was the following:

'Could not save "Daniel [Master]" because Invalid argument (22) while opening "pfvcXHJVfrgyFFMX".'

There was no way to save it at all and in the end, I had to quit out of Pro Tools without saving.

I tried doing some 'first aid' on the HD to check things out - repairing permissions etc - and, at first, it couldn't' do it as it couldn't 'mount and unmount', suggesting there's maybe a HD problem. It's a good quality HD though and not that old.
I had the same thing happen on a session with Logic too...

Any thoughts?

James Arter Music
www.jamesarter.com

Soundcloud
http://www.soundcloud.com/happybunnyproductions
Old 04-24-2017, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Error trying to save session

We have had similar saving problems but it has come down to illegal characters in the name of the session so we took out all the (/[+= etc and went away.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-24-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojimbo View Post
Hi guys,

Has anyone had issues trying to save sessions before?
Out of nowhere, every now and again, I'll try to save a session and it won't' let me.
the error message I received yesterday was the following:

'Could not save "Daniel [Master]" because Invalid argument (22) while opening "pfvcXHJVfrgyFFMX".'

There was no way to save it at all and in the end, I had to quit out of Pro Tools without saving.

I tried doing some 'first aid' on the HD to check things out - repairing permissions etc - and, at first, it couldn't' do it as it couldn't 'mount and unmount', suggesting there's maybe a HD problem. It's a good quality HD though and not that old.
I had the same thing happen on a session with Logic too...

Any thoughts?
Where are you saving the session to - your system drive? Hope not. See what I write below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We have had similar saving problems but it has come down to illegal characters in the name of the session so we took out all the (/[+= etc and went away.
A couple of years back I had this problem and found that there were illegal characters in the session name. The thing was I didn't save them that way - they happened on their own (or so I thought). It turns out the drive I was saving to was failing because of the interface board in the drive (the actual spinning part of the drive was okay) and spurious things were happening to the data. Got the drive fixed and it was okay after that.

QAPLA!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:42 PM

Nope, not system drive, saving all to an external drive.

It could be the illegal characters - I often use '[...]' - however, usually if that's the case then it won't save for the first time at all. Whereas in this case, it's been saving absolutely fine and then, all of a sudden, it decides it doesn't like it. Also, if I try doing a 'save as' and choose a totally different name, it still won't save.

I guess there's a chance there could be an issue with the interface board then, like you suggested?

James Arter Music
www.jamesarter.com

Soundcloud
http://www.soundcloud.com/happybunnyproductions
Old 04-24-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojimbo View Post
Nope, not system drive, saving all to an external drive.

It could be the illegal characters - I often use '[...]' - however, usually if that's the case then it won't save for the first time at all. Whereas in this case, it's been saving absolutely fine and then, all of a sudden, it decides it doesn't like it. Also, if I try doing a 'save as' and choose a totally different name, it still won't save.

I guess there's a chance there could be an issue with the interface board then, like you suggested?
Hopefully that's all it is - the interface board (or bridge board as Glyph calls it) in the drive itself. Something to try if you can - change the cable that connects the drive to the computer for another one. Cables can go bad without warning or movement; sometimes the connections between the cable connector and chassis can gum up and a simple disconnect/connect wiping action will clean them.

OSX is weird with what it considers 'illegal' characters; sometimes I can save with so-called characters no problem but if I look at the file name in a Finder window I find that it's changed. Recently on OSX 10.9.5 I saved an edited wave file I worked on in DSP Quattro like this: Any Colour You Like/Brain Damage/Eclipse. When I looked at the file in Finder it had changed to Any Colour You Like - Brain Damage - Eclipse.

QAPLA!