Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2002, 03:54 PM

Default Reverb Chamber

Though this may not be the best forum for this question, could somebody please point me in the direction as to the particulars of setting up a reverb chamber.
I have the room but am not sure as to what type of speaker(s) or microphone to use.
If you know of any resources please speak up.

-Phil
Old 08-14-2002, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Reverb Chamber

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilS:
Though this may not be the best forum for this question, could somebody please point me in the direction as to the particulars of setting up a reverb chamber.
I have the room but am not sure as to what type of speaker(s) or microphone to use.
If you know of any resources please speak up.

-Phil
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I can tell you quality components don't seem to be a huge requirement. On Abbey Road, in The Beatles glory days, the main echo chamber consisted of a concrete room....small....with one Vox column PA speaker (had 4 *10" in it) up on a table, with a 79.00 AKG D19E microphone on the other side of the room. Sounded terrific. Go figure
Old 08-14-2002, 05:16 PM

Phil,

Check-out what Bob Clearmountain has...

www.bobclearmountain.com

Click on "Studio Tour", then go to "Live Chambers".

-C
Old 08-15-2002, 04:41 AM

Any decent speaker at one end of the room and a pair of PZMs on opposite walls at the other end. I tried this once when I recorded a band in an empty house (conversion was finished but no one had moved in) and it sounded fantastic.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the response.
Anyone else have something to add to this topic?

-Phil
Old 08-20-2002, 07:31 AM

Doug Ring made the point and I just want to second it...

Almost ANY reverberant space can be used as a reverb chamber. And the speakers and mics don't need to be world class. A shower stall will work... a tile bathroom is great... a garage works well. You'll want to play around with the volume of the playback within the chamber to find what works best for you... but that's about all you need to do.

The thing that matters is whether you like the reverb on the source you send through it. If it works for the you in the tune, nothing else matters.

PS: The Clearmountain web site reverb chamber page is another example of using the sound of any spare space you have as reverb... and if you like the result... well there ya go!
Old 08-21-2002, 07:32 PM

I made a series of big band recordings with a stairwell as a reverb chamber. The speaker was a crappy floor wedge at the bottom of the stairs, and we put two SM57s on stands at the top. It sounded glorious.