How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 PM

Default Delay Compensation broken

setup in my sig...
I set my buffer @ 64 samples, monitoring through Pro Tools with a track record enabled but not recording, delay compensation @ Long or Maximum, and set up a 48 bar loop. TLSpace or DVerb (doesn't matter) on an Aux insert, in my case Aux 1 being fed by buss 1-2. Run the loop...about 25% of the time when the loop ends and loops to the beggining the input to the Aux track goes full gain, and a HUGE explosion sound will drive the verbs into maximum distortion and totally peak out bothe the aux meter and the mix buss. I almost blow my speakers out when this happens...I also have had to change my shorts once or twice...

Serriously it's a very bad thing...if I was overdubbing vocals this way and set up a loop to rehearse to, I could deafen an artist or give them a heart attack.

Can anyone confirm this? Am I doing something wrong? Any work around if it is a known bug?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation broken

Can't confirm. But it's best not to have Delay Compensation on during recording. Avid need to fix it to ignore tracks that are in record.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 AM

I would trash prefs too. Never had that happen here, but I'm on Windows.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 AM

I do sometimes experience an unexpected release of sound from the buffers of time-domain plug-ins. That includes reverbs and delays. Depending on how they're programmed, they can sometimes store up quite a lot of virtual sound energy, and an abrupt change to the timeline can cause them to release it all abruptly. Workarounds might include trying a different reverb, or muting the reverb while looping.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
I do sometimes experience an unexpected release of sound from the buffers of time-domain plug-ins. That includes reverbs and delays. Depending on how they're programmed, they can sometimes store up quite a lot of virtual sound energy, and an abrupt change to the timeline can cause them to release it all abruptly. Workarounds might include trying a different reverb, or muting the reverb while looping.
I have had a blast of reverb at the end of a bounce, when the fadeout pops back to nominal, but I suspect that's not what the OP is dealing with

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM

I never use Delay Compensation when recording... I find it messes things up a bit time wise.... I tend to track everything without DComp and then when I start mixing I turn it on and everything lines up in a dead on sync no matter what plugins Im using... If I need to overdub something or ad a new recorded track I turn it off again.... then back on for mixing sessions.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Can't confirm. But it's best not to have Delay Compensation on during recording. Avid need to fix it to ignore tracks that are in record.
I dont think that would really work... you are delaying your playback using DComp and If you turn it off of one track (The record enabled track) then you would in theory be recording earlier in time then you are hearing the playback... Then you would have to go in and nudge it into correct time for every recording...

I assume since DComp is delaying the playback that when in loop mode this transition (of jumping from the end point right to the beginning point) happens too fast and the CPU/Engine cant keep up... I would think that it would require a buffer time to restart the loop point with it on... and I would then believe that this is causing your issues... however I do not know for sure why that is happening to you...
Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
I dont think that would really work... you are delaying your playback using DComp and If you turn it off of one track (The record enabled track) then you would in theory be recording earlier in time then you are hearing the playback...
Huh. You're right. I wasn't thinking clearly. Thanks for the correction.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:12 PM

I had posted this about a week ago and thought it might be TLSpace as that was the plugin I was using at the time, however I substituted DVerb for TLSpace and it occurs with that, so I'm thinking it's an aux buss issue and not a plugin issue.

Well, I trashed the prefs and databases and have been playing to a looped track that exhibited the issue as recently as last night for about an hour with no explosions... albee saves the day for me yet again. Thanks man you rule! You would think that after using Pro Tools for a couple of years I would have done that first...sometimes the obvious escapes me...

To the users that chimed in about the other things they experience, yes I got those things too and just toss them as normal stuff...this was several orders of magnitude more frightening and the fact that more than a few hadn't experienced this confirmed it must be my system alone.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.