Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2013, 03:25 PM

Default Re: External Hardrives

Slight subject change, but has anyone heard about Avid approving solid state drives anytime soon?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
Slight subject change, but has anyone heard about Avid approving solid state drives anytime soon?
Yeah approved since ProTools 10 for the OS and the recording target Drive
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM

Thanks, J.....
I'm thinking my future config will look like this: one fairly small SSD drive (150 gigs or so) and an online backup system like Backblaze or Carbonite. My project studio is small and my microphones are pretty close to my drives, so the idea of a silent SSD is attractive.
What do you think?
Oh, and have you heard of any name brands of SSDs that people seem to like in particular? OWC? LaCie?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
Thanks, J.....
I'm thinking my future config will look like this: one fairly small SSD drive (150 gigs or so) and an online backup system like Backblaze or Carbonite. My project studio is small and my microphones are pretty close to my drives, so the idea of a silent SSD is attractive.
What do you think?
Oh, and have you heard of any name brands of SSDs that people seem to like in particular? OWC? LaCie?
Be very careful to read the specs. Most SSDs have fast read speads, but the write speeds can be as much as 1/3 the read speed. While it may work, I still think it's best to keep a separate recording drive from your OS and programs.

I personally have found intel brand SSDs to be the most reliable. I have some that are 4 years old and still work perfectly. I've seen at least one of almost every other popular brand(OCZ, kingston, corsair etc.) fail in either my own or customer's system's over the course of the last 3 years.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?