Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2009, 07:13 PM

Default Pro Tools "House Settings"//Session exchange

So I may be missing something re: this one, but I've always had a sneaky suspicion so I thought I'd bring it here.

It's always seemed to me that whenever I get a session from someone else or their PT rig, that a lot of the settings/prefs that I have go screwy. That is to say I feel like I 'inherit' the way they had their stuff (time line selection etc etc)

Tonight I popped open a band's demo session to check the tempo, and when I switched back to our session something got weird w/ the WC settings and I didn't catch it right away, leading to me chase down some pops and clicks for a minute. Annoying to say the least...

It is most common/noticeable w/ I/O, but I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this and if so if there is any kind of way to 'safeguard' it, or am I just imagining things/being a baby?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools "House Settings"//Session exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsprotools View Post
So I may be missing something re: this one, but I've always had a sneaky suspicion so I thought I'd bring it here.

It's always seemed to me that whenever I get a session from someone else or their PT rig, that a lot of the settings/prefs that I have go screwy. That is to say I feel like I 'inherit' the way they had their stuff (time line selection etc etc)

Tonight I popped open a band's demo session to check the tempo, and when I switched back to our session something got weird w/ the WC settings and I didn't catch it right away, leading to me chase down some pops and clicks for a minute. Annoying to say the least...

It is most common/noticeable w/ I/O, but I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this and if so if there is any kind of way to 'safeguard' it, or am I just imagining things/being a baby?
Actually i only had this problem yesterday when i opened up a clients LE session to check something! then my prefs got changed!!

autosave got turned off 3 hours later Melodyne caused a crash and holy s**t where's my back-ups

Also midi offset got set to -500

prefs should be locked no?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 AM

Well, Pro Tools uses the i/o and settings of whatever was saved in the session you're opening, regardless of your current set up. I find this to be a maddening feature. There should be a preference that locks your current set up, no matter what session you open so that the problems you just described can't raise their sneaky heads.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:48 AM

This has been happening to me for 3years. Only work around for me was to open up my own template before so digi makes it easy for templates now. Once you open up template everything should revert back to the way you had of set up except a couple of things. Digi should definitly have a safeguard to protect all of our settings. If there is one can someone please let me know
Macpro 2.88-4 Gig Ram,HD2,Big Ben,Rosetta 200,Dangerous D Box,Mercury Bundle + Studio classics bundle ,C/24,2-UA 6176,U87ai,Genelec 8050 & 8020,Logic,Final Cut Studio 2,Canon hxa1(hd camera)-Macbook Pro,Mbox 2 Micro.http://www.masterlinkstudios.com/.http://www.myspace.com/masterlinkstudios
Old 03-25-2009, 07:18 AM

add me to the list of frustrated however most of my work starts and stays in house

but i have one client who does his LE work at home and comes in with a cluster _ _ _ _ of entangled IO on every session.

option key and remove all in line is your friend

move out there trashy plugs...select default in IO setting and then import yours from your personal template

Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 AM

Smile Re: Pro Tools "House Settings"//Session exchange

My opinion is preferences should be divided between Console and Session preferences. Console (including i/o) preferences stay with the studio and session preferences go with the session. Ultimately when opening a session, you should have the choice to use yours or theirs. Old news. Hopefully the next release will include some or all of decade old requests I see on this board over and over again. :)

Peter
Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Post View Post
My opinion is preferences should be divided between Console and Session preferences. Console (including i/o) preferences stay with the studio and session preferences go with the session. Ultimately when opening a session, you should have the choice to use yours or theirs. Old news. Hopefully the next release will include some or all of decade old requests I see on this board over and over again. :)

Peter
I agree basically but I think some prefs are outside of this. Like, playhead prefs. I think that should be not be saved with the session.
Best,
Brandon
Old 03-25-2009, 12:43 PM

Yeah I think at least we should have the option to import the prefs with the new session or ignore them and go with the usual prefs (maybe except critical ones that might cause the session to behave like crazy). And I don't see why one session that's coming in from another studio should affect all the new sessions that are created after it.. Just doesn't make sense to me. There should be an option for this too like with the I/O settings.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:54 PM

Me too, I would LOVE to have better control over this -- I always want my mix and edit windows to show the same things, and I'd love to skip redoing all my favorite stuff when I open sessions from other people/studios.

A possible good way to go here would be for each session file to be "tagged" with the particular system it was created or last saved on. If you open the session on that same system, all the usual stuff loads like it does now. But if you open that session on a different system (even with the same configuration, just a different machine and/or cards), you'd have the option to pick what changes and what doesn't, maybe similar to the way the import session data window works now.

I don't even want to think about how many hours of my life have been spent selecting what I want the edit window to show, then the mix window, then closing and reopening the session to turn on delay compensation, then redoing the IO setup.... Well, at least I'm getting paid for it. But I'd love to make a few $$ less per song and not have to deal with it!
Old 03-25-2009, 04:22 PM

Hear hear!
Put me down for the option to import prefs in a session...!