Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-30-2002, 09:04 PM

Default T-Racks vs Waves Masters?

I've seen several threads describing both but never really a definitive opinion on why one is better than the other. i know that Waves is better than T-Racks, but is it really superior for the extra $400 price tag. The cheapest i've seen Waves is $675, compared to $289 T-Racks. Opinions? Other mastering plug-in alternatives?
Old 08-31-2002, 02:54 AM

Default Re: T-Racks vs Waves Masters?

DUY EverPack, simply awesome, MAX Duy makes it easy to get the final mix to that elusive 'commercial level' ....the DUY Wide is great for adding dimension to the mix, it also contains DUY Valve (a very useful tube emulation), DUY Shape (linear multiband EQ) and Z-room reverb.(havn't really tried it yet, too busy with the rest)
There's no doubt that Waves Masters is the industry standard but the DUY Everpack actually serves me better. Most importantly, it sounds great. And no....I don't work for them....
I also just got the Jam update for Toast so now I'm able to create a Red Book standard master right here in my little sound kitchen! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Andi
Old 08-31-2002, 03:23 AM

Well. DUY PIs are very usable.
The DUY Shape is my favourite, its a kind of multiband compressor, so it can be used for mastering I guess, I haven’t tried, I use it on individual instruments.
Max Duy is an OK limiter.
Z-room is a little different from other revs, but is also usable.
I haven’t had any success with DUY Valve, it’s extremely subtle.

But when it comes to mastering I’ve found my tool:
Waves C4.
Nothing else I’ve tried comes close!
Old 08-31-2002, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Jenssen:

Max Duy is an OK limiter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry to be picky.....but Max Duy is not a limiter per se, although it can be used as such. When used right (A piece of cake if you don't overdo it) it simply maximizes the sound without any obvious (audible) limiting.
Try the snare drum preset from the Duy Valve, it can be used it not-so-subtle ways ( [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) ..I had good results with the mix preset on a final mix, subtle but adding sparkle and punch...

Andi
Old 08-31-2002, 08:32 AM

Food for thought: T-racks is an analog mastering suite to emulate tube gear. It has it's own sound and richness to it. Waves is a great plug in, but its different than T-racks. Both are great in their own right. It all depends on what you are looking for sound wise.

Why don't you download each one and see which one fits your needs.

Just a thought.
Jason
IK Tech Support
Old 08-31-2002, 09:18 AM

Food for thought: Why don't you (IK) supply a demo version that works without this extremely annoying 'protection' noise that makes me feel I'm doin' something illegeal....
Waves and Duy offer 'real' demos, they got nothing to hide...
I tested both, bought the DUY Everpack and [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Also, IK's constant self-praise and agressive promo on this here user forum really gets on my nerves.

Andi
Old 08-31-2002, 02:28 PM

You must be reading my mind doorknocker!! I have downloaded both demos and that's my biggest gripe with the T-Racks demo. I didn't get a good taste of it's capabilities because of the inserted white noise. Waves demo however was an incredible computer hog. Good info from everyone though, plenty to think about. Thanks!!
Old 08-31-2002, 06:27 PM

The WAVES stuff gives you the choice of very transparent signal processing. Character is great but in mastering a little often goes a long ways!
Old 09-01-2002, 06:13 PM

The Waves mastering plug-ins to my ears allow more radical sonic surgery without suffering other penalties. That was very obvious to me when first mastering a mix that needed a really dramatic EQ curve.

The other (not so obvious) benefit of the linear-phase EQ is that it introduces much less "peak-uncertainty" than other EQ's, which is very important for mastering since it means less need to use post-EQ limiting to catch the peaks. You end up with more loudness and less artifacts in the final product.

With a "normal" EQ, inserting a highpass filter at some frequency between 20-30 Hz can make the peak levels higher by several dB. Doing the same with the Linear Phase EQ, you see the peak levels go up by no more than a couple tenths of a dB.

Mac Pro 8x2.8gHz, 4gb RAM, M-Audio Projectmix I/O, Pro Tools MP 8.0
Old 09-02-2002, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Jenssen:
[qb]

/qb]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry for OT, but DUY Valve is my favorite plug-in. It's extremely awesome. You really should give a chance to it more.
DUY plug-ins are all great.