Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-25-2015, 07:38 PM

Default Re: hard drive size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Looks like a good choice,

ACHI compliant, 4 ports, 4 x PCIe 2 lanes, JBOD support.

Let us know how it goes.
Been using it with my platters since wednesday,starts right up with no issue, let's see if anything changes as we go.
blue ray player
HDX 1, 2 16X16 interfaces
sync I/O.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:03 PM

I wouldn't use anything less than a 500gb ssd for my OS got a Crucial Bx100 not the fastest but works great, and damn fast enough. Was cheap as well, only about $70 vs the 256gb one. Then put your samples on a separate drive, but make sure it's a fast drive.

I would use a WD Caviar Black 7200(of course) 3tb(samples can be large and add up fast, always getting more or making more so have the room to be able to do that, might regret it later. Specially if you use them for drums, and synths/keys). Also check out the speeds on the specific drive you choose, they are all not the some and some perform better than others. Even though they all say WD Caviar Black 7200 certain ones perform better than others.

Another one is the Seagate Enterprise hard drives they run quick and have a longer warranty(5yr I think) than other Seagates, also have less problems than other Seagates. But Seagates are known for problems. HGST are the most reliable HD's but run slower than WD hard drives.
Of course you could go balls out and get the WD Velicoraptor, and just use it till you run out then get another one.
Or put your samples that you use most on there, or ones that you use for bigger mixing sessions, or the larger ones so it keeps up speed to process everything. Lot's of angles to think about I know. Kinda a pain in the ass.
Know this is a little old but might help future readers.
WD Velicoraptor
Old 03-30-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyman3833 View Post
I wouldn't use anything less than a 500gb ssd for my OS got a Crucial Bx100 not the fastest but works great, and damn fast enough. Was cheap as well, only about $70 vs the 256gb one. Then put your samples on a separate drive, but make sure it's a fast drive.

I would use a WD Caviar Black 7200(of course) 3tb(samples can be large and add up fast, always getting more or making more so have the room to be able to do that, might regret it later. Specially if you use them for drums, and synths/keys). Also check out the speeds on the specific drive you choose, they are all not the some and some perform better than others. Even though they all say WD Caviar Black 7200 certain ones perform better than others.

Another one is the Seagate Enterprise hard drives they run quick and have a longer warranty(5yr I think) than other Seagates, also have less problems than other Seagates. But Seagates are known for problems. HGST are the most reliable HD's but run slower than WD hard drives.
Of course you could go balls out and get the WD Velicoraptor, and just use it till you run out then get another one.
Or put your samples that you use most on there, or ones that you use for bigger mixing sessions, or the larger ones so it keeps up speed to process everything. Lot's of angles to think about I know. Kinda a pain in the ass.
Know this is a little old but might help future readers.
WD Velicoraptor
Thanks for the info. Dairyman, to bad they don't have them in 2 or 3 TB.
blue ray player
HDX 1, 2 16X16 interfaces
sync I/O.