Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-27-2018, 05:18 PM

Default Re: recording with load boxes, cab ins, and all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
No. I asked him and its head>Palmer load box>interface>CuBase with nothing but an EQ plugin and a touch of reverb(and it sounds as good as any Marshall with a 4x12 and mics)
Ah ok, that's the same principle of Blue Cat Destructor and indeed, it sounds terrific!
Old 09-28-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
FWIW, I have a friend that records his 50 watt Plexi Marshall with the Palmer load box(no cab at all) and his guitar tracks sound really good(he's a bit of a tone snob).
So would you recommend the Palmer load box over others? If so, is there any particular reason why? Not trying to pin you down if you haven't compared it to other load boxes. Just trying to get opinions and information on what is good or not about various boxes. Thanks.

mightyduck
Old 09-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
So would you recommend the Palmer load box over others? If so, is there any particular reason why? Not trying to pin you down if you haven't compared it to other load boxes. Just trying to get opinions and information on what is good or not about various boxes. Thanks.

mightyduck
I have no comparisons so I really can't comment on how well others might work. I just know that the Palmer works very well and sounds very good. I also know that Def Leppard uses them live for all the guitar channels feeding the PA(not positive, but Journey may also do that) I also have used the same box with a Vox Valvetronix head for some live gigging and was happy with the sound(running no speaker and wearing IEM's). Palmer PGA-05 Speaker Simulator is the one I have(they come in different impedance versions so it needs to match the amp's setting), and I also have used the Palmer PDI09(direct box) but that still requires a load.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:

mightyduck
What you are asking here depends entirely on your taste and needs. Best thing to do is going to a local music store and ask if you can demo the models available and/or rent them for a few days to try in your own space, then choose the one that works and sound best for you. If you can't hear any differences or don't need the extra features then buy the cheapest one.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
What you are asking here depends entirely on your taste and needs. Best thing to do is going to a local music store and ask if you can demo the models available and/or rent them for a few days to try in your own space, then choose the one that works and sound best for you. If you can't hear any differences or don't need the extra features then buy the cheapest one.
Yeah, I know, but I'm not in LA now for a while, and I am nowhere near a music store that would carry anything like that. So that's why I am asking. Just trying to get info. I know I'll have to decide for myself, but I'd like to make an educated guess as to which one[s] to consider.

mightyduck
Old 09-28-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but I'm not in LA now for a while, and I am nowhere near a music store that would carry anything like that. So that's why I am asking. Just trying to get info. I know I'll have to decide for myself, but I'd like to make an educated guess as to which one[s] to consider.

mightyduck
In that case I would wait. Guitar tone is a subject of su much debate that you won't get much on forums. Simply put, load boxes are made so you can crank up your amp and get its natural distortion without getting kicked out from the neighbourhood, additionally they are the way to go if you want to track using your real amps directly to the audio interface and use impulses instead of real speaker cabs and microphones. The guitar sound comes from every component of the chain, starting in the player/picks and ending in the room, wood, etc.. but some of them influence the tone more than others which tends to have many people confused and in endless searches for tone, for example while every amp has its own tonal response and breakup character what most people mean when they compare guitar tones is in fact the sound of the cab/speaker/room which are more important than many people think and of all the components of the chain they are the most difficult to simulate, with this I mean that you probably won't hear much difference between your amp played through a load box connected DI to the computer and a good emulation plugin like Amplitube 4 or Plugin Alliance with level matched to unity, even less when you add the same speaker to the equation.

Now if you want to invest in a system that delivers great results you better put your money where it counts, this is in the speaker/mic/room simulation which is without doubt something you will need if you are planning to use a load box because as I said before, real speakers at low volume don't deliver the sound the same way. Also, as above, the amp won't make such a big difference from a well crafted emulation when loaded, even much less the model of load box you use so I would start exploring amp sims and IR loaders before deciding to buy a load box and spend my money on good quality IR files from Lancaster and Celestion and plugin Alliance amps.

If what you are planning to do is practicing at low volume in your room then none of this is necessary, get a Peavey Rage 158 and enjoy great tone on a 8' speaker.

Hope this helps
Old 09-28-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
In that case I would wait. Guitar tone is a subject of su much debate that you won't get much on forums. Simply put, load boxes are made so you can crank up your amp and get its natural distortion without getting kicked out from the neighbourhood, additionally they are the way to go if you want to track using your real amps directly to the audio interface and use impulses instead of real speaker cabs and microphones. The guitar sound comes from every component of the chain, starting in the player/picks and ending in the room, wood, etc.. but some of them influence the tone more than others which tends to have many people confused and in endless searches for tone, for example while every amp has its own tonal response and breakup character what most people mean when they compare guitar tones is in fact the sound of the cab/speaker/room which are more important than many people think and of all the components of the chain they are the most difficult to simulate, with this I mean that you probably won't hear much difference between your amp played through a load box connected DI to the computer and a good emulation plugin like Amplitube 4 or Plugin Alliance with level matched to unity, even less when you add the same speaker to the equation.

Now if you want to invest in a system that delivers great results you better put your money where it counts, this is in the speaker/mic/room simulation which is without doubt something you will need if you are planning to use a load box because as I said before, real speakers at low volume don't deliver the sound the same way. Also, as above, the amp won't make such a big difference from a well crafted emulation when loaded, even much less the model of load box you use so I would start exploring amp sims and IR loaders before deciding to buy a load box and spend my money on good quality IR files from Lancaster and Celestion and plugin Alliance amps.

If what you are planning to do is practicing at low volume in your room then none of this is necessary, get a Peavey Rage 158 and enjoy great tone on a 8' speaker.

Hope this helps
With all due respect, what you are saying is a bunch of stuff that doesn't need saying, and is not really helpful to this.

If you don't have any experience or opinion on what load boxes are better than others [without all the extraneous "advice"] then please let someone answer who does.

I'm a really accomplished guitarist. My Undergraduate degree was in Studio Music and Jazz with guitar as principal instrument. Then Arranging, Filmscoring, Recording Engineering, composition, voice, blah, blah, blah, woof, woof, woof. That was several decades ago.

I know about amps, speakers, amp sims and all that. I know what load boxes are. I don't need a tutorial on the basics of guitar amps and speakers and recording and how to get a sound. Just looking for opinions from people that have used load boxes as to which ones have been good.

Just the load boxes, ma'm! :)

Thanks for responding, though. I appreciate you taking your time to do that.

mightyduck
Old 09-28-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, what you are saying is a bunch of stuff that doesn't need saying, and is not really helpful to this.

If you don't have any experience or opinion on what load boxes are better than others [without all the extraneous "advice"] then please let someone answer who does.

I'm a really accomplished guitarist. My Undergraduate degree was in Studio Music and Jazz with guitar as principal instrument. Then Arranging, Filmscoring, Recording Engineering, composition, voice, blah, blah, blah, woof, woof, woof. That was several decades ago.

I know about amps, speakers, amp sims and all that. I know what load boxes are. I don't need a tutorial on the basics of guitar amps and speakers and recording and how to get a sound. Just looking for opinions from people that have used load boxes as to which ones have been good.

Just the load boxes, ma'm! :)

Thanks for responding, though. I appreciate you taking your time to do that.

mightyduck
If this sounds extraneous to you then you are asking in the wrong place, this is a technical forum about recording software. I suggest you to go to Gearslutz or a guitar forum. Take all he time you need to think about all I've said here but if you really need to be spoon fed I'll try one last time... Buy the most expensive one, that's the best one.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
If this sounds extraneous to you then you are asking in the wrong place, this is a technical forum about recording software. I suggest you to go to Gearslutz or a guitar forum. Take all he time you need to think about all I've said here but if you really need to be spoon fed I'll try one last time... Buy the most expensive one, that's the best one.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Last edited by mightyduck; 09-29-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:21 AM

I use a Two Notes Torpedo Studio. The unit comers with some IRs to get you started and Two Notes sells some good sounding IRs as do Ownhammer and a few others, but I like the Celestion IRs best. Amps used with the Torpedo Studio include a Fender Deluxe Reverb, Mesa Boogie MkV 25, and Friedman PT-20. No fuss, no latency, just amazing tones.