Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-24-2002, 02:25 PM

Default OT... Basic Logic Question?

I know this is not Logic forum but I know a few of you have extensive knowledge of Logic configuration. Since Digi supports this software it's not totally off topic.

Does logic recognize the Digi 001 midi ports?
In my environment the device I have hooked up to it shows but not the 001 port nodes. Wierd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2002, 05:02 PM

Default Re: OT... Basic Logic Question?

To use the 001 midi ports you have to go thur OMS. Best thing to do is buy an Emagic midi interface. Better timing with Logic and you don't need OMS. If you look up how to use OMS in the Logic manuel. Also make sure you have all the lates Digi drivers (DI/O,etc). Last for Logic questions see any post for Kickdaspeaker. He has his own Logic forum, the link should be in one of of his post. Or you can try WWW.Sonikmatter.com
They have a Logic forum.

Toecat
Old 06-24-2002, 05:17 PM

I have 2 Unitor8 MkIIs plus I use OMS already. Like I said all my devices show up except the Digi 001 unit. The device I hooked up to the Digi 001 shows up as a separate device. All my other hardware show up automatically.

As far as reading the book... I would not have posed a question without doing my own research. Anyone who uses Logic will agree that the book is cryptic at best. This is not an intuitive application. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2002, 05:34 PM

The simple answer is... only the devices hooked
up to the Digi 001 interface show. The only way to use the Digi 001 MIDI ports with logic is through OMS.

The complex issue is whether you can use the Digi ports as a MIDI input device. The physical input object does not recognize anything other than modem or printer port devices. So far all my attempts at using the DIGI ports for input to logic create random and repeating MIDI data.

I'm thinking that the MIDI input device... in this case my Yamaha CBX-K1 keyboard should be on my MIDI interface which is hooked up to my serial G4Port adapter and is used as a modem port connection.

I would appreciate if anyone has any info to share with me. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

It seems that the Digi 001 is compatible however it is not a perfect marriage. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2002, 06:04 PM

I have no problems using extensively the midi in and midi out ports on the digi001 from Logic. Check out the FAQ at http://f23.parsimony.net/forum49865/ , there's a list of all the necessary extensions.

6am eternal
Old 06-25-2002, 07:09 PM

Thanks for your response Kickin...

I thought I'd just talk to myself until someone jumped in.

I will continue to look into this and check the site you listed.

I have had some success learning Logic. But each time I get to the next step I am presented with "Option Anxiety" about how to achieve a given task [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2002, 09:12 PM

If the Digi001 is not showing up in your OMS set-up, make sure the Digi001 driver is in the OMS folder in your system folder. I lost mine once. I don't know how.

Using the Digi001 MIDI port from Logic is another matter. My understanding [from Emagic tech support] is that Logic once supported the Digi001's MIDI port for a short time during version 4. However, due to technical issues, Emagic ceased supporting the Digi001's MIDI port prior to the the release of Logic 4.8.1. Hence, there is a reference to the Digi001 in the environment area of some earlier versions of Logic 4, but not in the later versions of Logic 4. I have no idea of support for the MIDI port in Logic 5. However, I doubt it. So, toecat and Kickin.da.speaker are correct; but, only to a limited extent, as far as I know.

Nevertheless, if you have Unitor units, and are using Logic, you are in a better position stategically. Logic, used with the Unitor, can take advantage of Emagic's proprietary AMT format. This gives better MIDI timing than the Digi001 and OMS, which the Digi001 requires. I have given any thought to the Digi001's MIDI port in ages.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:21 AM

Thanx E. D. Cooper for your response... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I had suspected exactly what you have spoken of.

I am going to use the Unitor ports to connect my MIDI keyboard to the system and then use the AMT with Logic Gold 4.8.1. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2002, 07:59 PM

I guess nothing works better than just noodle-ing around with things till you figure it out.

The answer to my issue is simple.

The Midi 001 ports are universally available under OMS within Logic. There just is not an icon representing the ports within the enviroment.

There is only one device connected to my Digi 001 MIDI ports.

That device under OMS is set to "is a controller".

That device is not mutli-timbral.

Therefore: Logic sees this device as a simple instrument object and can only MIDI in/out/thru on one channel. Hence: single device icon I was seeing.

Now that I have that worked out. I now know that i can have a total of 16 Multi-timbral and Multi-Channel devices hooked to Digi 001 with
only the limits of the 16 channel architecture of the MIDI ports. Actually, the permutations are kind of staggering considering the number of ways of implementing these Ports.

I now know how to create Multi Instrument objects for these ports.

So...thanks to those who took a stab at this for me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]