Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2020, 06:39 AM

Default Re-installing plugins from the recycle bin

Forgot about my other issue which was about plugins.

So I've been trying to install a plug-in (TAL vocoder) and could not find the folder to install protools in. So this lead me to go through every folder and delete an old plugin in hopes that I could find the plug-in install folder (the plug-in in this case would be Fab Filter Volcano 2). So before, Volcano showed up in my plug-ins in Pro Tools. After I deleted, Volcano 2 was in the recycle bin and did not show up in Pro Tools. Then I restored Volcano 2 from the recycle bin, and now it still doesn't show up in Pro Tools. Doesn't Restoring from the Recycle Bin put the item back where it was deleted? In which case I should be seeing Volcano on Protools. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Re-installing plugins from the recycle bin

Theoretically, restoring from the recycle bin would put it back where it cam from, but there may be other things going on here. Things to consider:

1-Why was the plugin in the recycle bin in the first place?(if you are removing plugins for troubleshooting, you don't need to delete them, just drag them out of the plugins folder and drop anywhere you like. I create a new folder on the desktop and name it Plugins Temp).

2-Why are you fishing for where to install a plugin?(every plugin I have ever installed has defaulted to the correct location with no help from me)

3-Once any plugin is not functioning, your best bet is to uninstall it using the Windows uninstall method. Go to the company website and download it again(unless, like me, you save all installers to an external drive).

4-Since you're running an ancient version of PT, you need to make sure that the plugin you want to use is compatible with RTAS(some recent plugins might not have bothered to include that coding).

IIRC, the plugins folder for 8LE would be C:>Program Files(x86)>Common Files>Digidesign>DAE>Plugins

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-26-2020, 11:26 AM

I see what happened.

So when I downloaded the TAl plug in I failed to notice this line:

"Requirements:Windows: Windows XP or higher (32 / 64 bit)
OSX: OSX 10.7 or higher (32 / 64 bit).
AAX: Pro Tools 10.3.6 or higher"

I have Pro-Tools 8 so I downloaded something that was not going to work, and instead of catching that, I instead deleted a plug-in that DID work, causing it to disappear. When I restored from Recycle Bin it didn't return to the right spot for some reason, but I downloaded an old version of that plug in and now it's back to normal.

AS for the Tal plugin, I downloaded and installed newer versions and older versions, both 64-bit and 32-bit, for Windows, but to no avail. Protools 8 simply does not recognize it.

Thanks for helping!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:37 AM

Plugins may not work because your system only supports RTAS... many newer plugins are AAX, sometimes AAX-64 only. You have to look carefully at Tal Vocoder releases/past releases to find a version that supports RTAS, ideally that calls out compatibility with your Pro Tools and OS version.

You are curating a RTAS plugin museum and have to be careful.