Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Default Re: 9.0.2 Not Communicating With 003 Rack+

Working now. But having the line issue.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:36 PM

A while back I had a similar problem. Somehow I had remnants of old drivers/software that wouldn't go away - specifically my 002 driver seemed the worst offender. Sometimes I would have two drivers in device manager listed, sometimes just rogue old files on my hdd.

It came down to uninstalls not completing correctly because I had my pc setup for internet access (with all the drivers and services associated with that). No errors in setup, just I could see it wasn't cleaning everything out.

Once I got off the internet, ran all PT windows optimizations (e.g. black viper), then ran uninstalls again my driver/software installed correctly.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 AM

Just tried installing 9.02 on my digi003/9.01 install and got the hardware not found error. messed up my whole night playing with the computer instead of making music. Do they have a QA dept in this company?

Now I'm very confused about what firmware and driver I need to get this running again? Are they included in the 9.02 release? all I see is 1 executable. How do i confirm what firmware i currently have and where do i download what I need?

Thanks

and thank you avid for another beautiful evening
Old 03-16-2011, 03:38 PM

there is a separate file for the new 9.0.2 drivers for 002/003

you should
uninstall the 002/003
make sure your FW card is running the legacy driver as described in the optimization guide
turn off the 002/003
install the new 9.0.2 drivers for 002/003

restart and turn the 002/003 back on

i had piles of errors before i did this, in this order. PT took a super long time to load but the first time but i haven't had an error since.

i think turning it off after uninstalling and leaving it off until the new driver is installed is important cause windows might install the hardware automatically and who knows what driver it'd use. doing the steps in this order seems to be what worked for me.

my question is; was there any documentation about this? i looked around a little and couldn't find anything about how exactly to go about this update. ended up with a lot of trial and error for me and many others on this board.
and, as the previous poster is an example, it's not even totally clear that there is a new driver, in a separate package. you have to go to a different page and look for it before you even know it exists.

www.jntracks.com
Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the info.

Do you happen to know what the legacy version is for the driver for the firewire card that i can see in device manager?

I bought and installed this 'approved' card along time ago but when I moved to win7 it installed the driver automatically (plug and play). Am I suppose to find an older driver for that card now to make 9.2 work?

I'm back up with pro tools 9.1 now. I'm feeling i should stick with it until they get their act together and their documentation.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER View Post
I'm back up with pro tools 9.1 now. I'm feeling i should stick with it until they get their act together and their documentation.
I agree with this. Unless you feel you absolutely must have the 9.0.2 update for a particular bug fix, you may be well advised to stay with 9.0.0 or 9.0.1, perhaps with the new driver though.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-17-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER View Post
Do you happen to know what the legacy version is for the driver for the firewire card that i can see in device manager?
when you go into the properties of your FW card in device manager and under the driver tab click "update driver" then "browse my computer..." then "let me pick from a list..."

you will see a list of compatible drivers, probably 3, the texas instruments driver (or whatever card you're using, i have the PT approved TI), and two generic OHCI drivers.
one is labeled "(legacy)". click it, and next, and so on.

the reason avid is recommending this is it seems there is some change in the way win7 handles the IEEE1394 protocol that can cause lag of some kind that protools might not like. so the legacy version enforces that FW works the way it had in all previous versions of windows.

what i'm not sure about is if this is directly responsible for any of the errors we were getting. i'm not here to test every permutation and figure out exactly why each error happened. once i get it to start up and run my sessions i stop poking the damn thing!
i merely submit my experience to the hive mind.

www.jntracks.com
Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntracks View Post
there is a separate file for the new 9.0.2 drivers for 002/003

you should
uninstall the 002/003
make sure your FW card is running the legacy driver as described in the optimization guide
turn off the 002/003
install the new 9.0.2 drivers for 002/003

restart and turn the 002/003 back on

i had piles of errors before i did this, in this order. PT took a super long time to load but the first time but i haven't had an error since.

i think turning it off after uninstalling and leaving it off until the new driver is installed is important cause windows might install the hardware automatically and who knows what driver it'd use. doing the steps in this order seems to be what worked for me.

my question is; was there any documentation about this? i looked around a little and couldn't find anything about how exactly to go about this update. ended up with a lot of trial and error for me and many others on this board.
and, as the previous poster is an example, it's not even totally clear that there is a new driver, in a separate package. you have to go to a different page and look for it before you even know it exists.
I think the key to it is that you switched to the Legacy firewire driver and rebooted - that's what fixed it for me. I've been looking through the 9.0.2 readme's and documentation and I don't see anything about exactly what order to install things - the new driver or the update first. It's been recommended many times in the forums though to install the driver first, then the update. Once I switched to the Legacy firewire driver, everything has gone smoothly - and this update seems to be more stable than 9.0.1 and loads super fast for me.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-18-2011, 03:45 AM

i hope you're right.

thing is i had previously tried to use the lagacy FW drivers, as per the optimization guide, but found that with those drivers my 002 would constantly loose connection and PT couldn't start (before 9.0.2)

so when this update came along i didn't think of trying it again. (at least not 'till it was suggested in this thread)

anyway, more sessions tonight and over the weekend that will be stressing this rig so here we go!

www.jntracks.com
Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 AM

if anyone needs this the latest drivers(v9.0.2.65) for the 9.2 release is here:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=379411