Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2009, 01:13 PM

Default Mbox 1 phantom power noise issue

Hi all:
I've just searched the forum and this problem has been reported numerous times, but I've not found an official solution to the problem. Has anyone received support directly from Digi on this? Are Digi guys monitoring this forum that could help me?

Problem description:
When phantom power is enabled on MBOX1 there are noises coming from the headphone jack when the mix knob is in the "playback" position. The noises sound very digital and seem to be related to CPU load, power, or possibly some kind of bus trafic. (I say this because the noise seem to track with things like moving the mouse around.)

I'm using Pro Tools 7.1 LE on an AMD Athlon system (don't have the specs in front of me, but it's a Dual-Core above 2 GHz with 2 GB of RAM).

Thanks...
Old 09-14-2009, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Mbox 1 phantom power noise issue

I remember some Mbox users had success by using a high-quality USB cable(some have better shielding than others) and also bu moving the cable away from other noise makers(like wall warts, line lumps, external drives, etc). Also, which USB port you use may make a difference(you should use a port on the back plane by the keyboard/mouse ports and NOT a convenient front panel port).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-02-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Mbox 1 phantom power noise issue

After trying numerous USB cables around my house I picked up a Monster cable and the noise is completely gone! I can't believe what a difference this has made.

If anyone wants to try this solution the cable is a "Monster Digital". This is what is says on the package:

Monster Cable Prolink
High-Performance USB Cable for Pristine Digital Audio
- SingleHelix Windings Exceed USB 2.0 Standards
- Ultra-Large Gauge Power Conductor
- High-Density, Triple-Layer Shielding Rejects Interference
- 24k Gold Contact Connectors
- 7ft
$24.95 (AND WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!)