Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 11-24-2018, 08:21 PM

Default After fire advise....

Last March we had a fire in our home that also contained my home studio.(Duh!)
Prior to the fire my system was current and trouble free running well with PT12.7.1 on a Avid approved 2012 Mac Mini & OS 10.12.2

Fast forward 10 months I am picking up the pieces and ready to move on.
But a lot had changed in that time so I am seeking advise as to updates to both PT and my OS.

After looking thru many threads here on the DUC and Avids info it looks like my best bet is running PT 2018.10 on OS 10.12.6.

Before I change what was in the past a stable combo of PT and Mac OS
Are there any stability issues or bugs I need to be aware of?

Is the any advise or pertinent info I need to be aware of before I update or make changes to my system is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
TWM

2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 quad core 16Gb ram 256 SSD
OS Sierra 10.12.6 PT 2018.4 its mostly working for me!

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!

Last edited by Trainwreckmusic; 11-24-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:41 PM

Default Re: After fire advise....

It's unclear... are you using the same Mac Mini? or getting new hardware?

Are you in the middle of a project? (if so can you change nothing?)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:43 PM

Sorry If was unclear.
Yes... I am using the same gear ,Hardware and software in my signature.
No.... I have not started any new projects since the fire.

Luckily the fire did not reach my studio but our house was inhabitable so everything went into a storage unit and all of my projects have been on hold for over 10 months while we rebuilt.

I hold a perpetual "Vanilla" PT license and I am current on both PT upgrade and Avid support plans. (They expire next month and I plan to renew them).

So since I have been out of " business" for lack of better term for over 10 months I am seeking advise as to what is the best path and most stable version of PT and Mac OS to get my studio up to date so I can get back to making music again.

Thanks for your help.
TWM

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!
Old 11-24-2018, 10:39 PM

OK but I'll fall back to what problem are you trying to solve approach here. If there is no problem then doing nothing is always the first option. Why not just go make music?

You have no projects in work at the moment? So now is a time you want to make changes before starting new projects?

Personally you already are after 12.6 so have new features like disk cache and you are only getting a minor macOS upgrade... I'd be more interested when 2018.x is officially supported in Mojave and maybe see how that goes and move to there (well I'm already running 2018.10 on Mojave and it's fine for me but has know issues with small IO buffers... but I have other development/test reasons to want to be on Mojave). And in the change to do that you could get the SSDs running APFS, etc. (another thing Avid hopefully will officially support soon, but I'd rather run on now) all seems more stuff worth saving up effort for and doing a major upgrade/full clean install in future when shown to be pretty stable by others and at the next opportunity when you have a quiet work period between projects.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:06 AM

Since there are no problems at present why mess with it?
As we all know 10 months in the digital age is a long time.

I guess while I am still unpacking boxes ,running cables and putting the studio back together asking is now a good time to upgrade to PT 2018 before I get up to my neck in new projects?

If there are any problems with 2018 (like there was with PT11 a total fiasco that never was stable or reliable for me) then I would like to know that and avoid the associated problems and headaches.
On the other hand if PT 2018 running OS 10.12.6 is great or maybe even the best PT yet why not upgrade?
They have had 10 months to fix things.

I have PT 2018.10 in my Avid account available to me as well as OS 10.12.6 available from Apple and both are sitting there ready to install.

Since I pay Avid every year for support and updates... (silly me) I was wondering if there were issues that would make it a bad idea to upgrade to the most recent version of PT that I paid for?

I certainly understand the "if its not broke don't fix it school of thought" and truth be told my 2009 Mac Mini running the last version of PT 10 is still the most stable version of PT that I have ever used and I have been using PT since PT Le 7 and its why the 2009 Mini with PT10 is sitting on a shelf ready to go at a moments notice if ghosts in the machine rear their ugly head.

It is also why I still keep my ADAT machine and 1" 8 track MCI tape machine fully serviced aligned , biased and wired into my patch bay ready to go .
Just incase my computer craps out on me or things in the digital realm go hell.

If I am reading between the lines of your post correctly I should stay with what I got and hold my breath with hopes that eventualy avid will get the latest version of PT to actually work with a current version of Apples OS.

It seems I have been gone for 10 months and its still the same old story.

Thanks for posting
TWM

Last edited by Trainwreckmusic; 11-25-2018 at 12:20 AM.