Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2024, 03:13 PM

Default Does the license still stick to the hardware (HD Native PCIe card)

Hi all -

maybe ten years ago, I traded in some TDM hardware on an HD Native card. At the same time, I started using HD Native with core audio, rather than the HDN engine/card, and have never looked back.

Now - I'm considering selling off that ten year old, as-yet-unused PCIe HD-Native card, which has been in its box on a shelf...

In the "olden days" the hardware was essentially a copy protection scheme for the software. But I suspect those days are long over....

also in the past iirc I could see my Pro Tools hardware in my.avid.com, but I don't see that anymore.

Question is: can I SELL my HD-Native Card, independent of PT license?

An answer SEEMS to be here:
https://resources.avid.com/SupportFi..._Form_2017.pdf

- hardware is transferrable for $20
- "systems" are transferable for $79 which seems to mean core card + software

-jeremiah
Old 03-03-2024, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Does the license still stick to the hardware (HD Native PCIe card)

You can do whatever you want to. It's mostly a relatively free nation, well we both live in nanny state California ...

Yesterday would be a good day to sell HD Native or HDX Cards etc. that are not being user or not standby spares. So I think you are doing the right thing here.

The Pro Tools license in practice is via iLok, there is nothing locked/serialized to HD Native or HDX card(s). However if I was selling a HD Native or HDX cards/system that had a license with it I'd likely first offer it with the license and do a transfer of assets via Avid support. That way the new owner gets the iLok license, and they get an Avid account with privilege to download Pro Tools HD/Ultimate etc. The new owner can also renew a software support/update plan if they want, etc. If serious purchaser already has Pro Tools Ultimate/HD then they typically won't be shy about asking to unbundle the the software.

If you do unbundle the software that then there is really no reason to let Avid know anything. There is no warranty on anything and if the purchaser needs drivers etc. they are all included in the Pro Tools downloads they need. Just check they know they need Pro Tools ultimate.

One reason to consider doing this is it's fairly likely that unless you are working with video/post you can just use a Pro Tools Studio license and don't need an Ultimate license.