Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2015, 03:02 AM

Default Question about midi to usb

Say if I use a converter - midi to usb how will this work. I mean doesn't it have to got into the Mbox? If it goes into the computer how will I configure it if its not connected to the interface which protools reads?
The usb is a computer hub.
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe
Old 04-26-2015, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Question about midi to usb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh View Post
Say if I use a converter - midi to usb how will this work. I mean doesn't it have to got into the Mbox? If it goes into the computer how will I configure it if its not connected to the interface which protools reads?
MIDI and audio are two completely different things.

First we need to know what is this MIDI to USB thing you are talking about. If it's to interface a controller keyboard with your computer the only possible configuration would be done on the keyboard and not through your computer. Things like MIDI channels to use.

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Question about midi to usb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh View Post
You haven't given very much info here. But, if you mean, what happens with a cable that has a 5pin MIDI connector on one end and a USB connection on the other, then all you're doing is converting the MIDI info FROM the MIDI keyboard to the USB connection on your computer. You do NOT need to go through the MBox (and you didn't specify which MBox you're using). Plug the 5 pin MIDI connections to your MIDI ports on the Keyboard. A typical MIDI to USB converter cable has 2 5pin MIDI connectors on one end for MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. The other end is USB and just plugs into an available USB slot on your computer. You mentioned using a USB hub. If you experience issues, you may need to NOT use the hub and plug the USB end directly to a slot on your computer. Hubs can cause issues with MIDI and Pro Tools...or at least I've seen that discussed here in the past as an issue.

Once connected, be sure that you've configured Pro Tools MIDI studio to recognize your MIDI device for input/out (check the manual if you're not sure how to set this up). If connected and configured correctly, you should be able to create a MIDI or Instrument track, record arm it, and it should see what ever you play on the MIDI keyboard. Then just record your MIDI parts as desired. But all you're recording is MIDI info, NOT audio. The MIDI info you record will play whatever instrument you assign it to - internal virtual instrument, or external MIDI instrument.

Often, I will use my MIDI keyboard to record the part I want and get the notes and sequence right. Then, I'll have that MIDI track play my MIDI keyboard by assigning the MIDI out of the MIDI track back to the MIDI keyboard. The AUDIO output of the keyboard DOES need to go through your interface so you can record the audio in PT. Pick the patch on your keyboard you want, and record it.

Hope that helps a bit.