Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Reference Video and MOJO

Scott, thanks for your comments. I am new using QT Sync, and frankly if Final Cut editors would do their job for properly preparing vids for post sound I probably wouldn't ever need to mess with it! But, I am glad it exists, and certainly the price is right.

I have tried to use a reference video with a window burn-in rather than take the time to export it, but when the video plays within Pro Tools through my Mojo, all I see is a gigantic time code window and no picture. So I assume I will always need to take the time to export the video in order to embed the window burn into the file.

As long as we are on the subject of Final Cut Pro, Final Cut needs to make it easier to put a window burn in on the project, and frankly figure out a way to make a frame-accurate output to a 9-pin video deck, such as Beta SP or Digi Beta without the use of some 3rd party box to control the deck. I'm sure there are other things they need to do to improve the program, but as far as prepping a show for video post production, these two items keep it performing nearly as well as Avid, in my opinion.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit!!

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 04:21 AM

Default Re: QT Sync and Pro Tools weirdness!

I find it hard to use anything other than DV codec to use with PT for post sound work.

It happens to me al the time, to tell the video editors how to Burn the TC or that a plop 50 frames before FFOA is needed for later sync...
Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Avid

Default Re: Reference Video and MOJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoof View Post

As long as we are on the subject of Final Cut Pro, Final Cut needs to make it easier to put a window burn in on the project, and frankly figure out a way to make a frame-accurate output to a 9-pin video deck, such as Beta SP or Digi Beta without the use of some 3rd party box to control the deck. I'm sure there are other things they need to do to improve the program, but as far as prepping a show for video post production, these two items keep it performing nearly as well as Avid, in my opinion.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit!!

Mike
Have you seen this?

http://www.geekymac.com/?p=449
Old 01-02-2010, 11:51 AM

The tip posted by digi tech support, using compressor to embed the TC burn window seems like the way to go, I wonder if it has the same issue I've run into doing time code burns using nested sequences in fcp.

If the editor has left blank space on the timeline instead of using slugs to create black frames, the TC generator will stop generating TC during the "missing" clips.

The solution to this is to go through the timeline, select the blank space on the timeline (i.e. any gaps in between clips the editor used to create a black screen), right click on the timeline and select fill with slug. This will auto generate a slug of the correct duration, and once you've filled in all your gaps your timecode should read continuous throughout.

It seems that FCP has to have a clip of some sort on the timeline in order to generate and embed the TC burn when using nested sequences.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM

Hi,Ive seen this before I did two things to cure the problem...1 Change session start time.2Re-import movie onto new track and then delete original track...Hope that this helps.
S6 32 Fader
32 Gb Ram
Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Indeed, I've had the same thing (in PT9+CPTK) and not related to QT Sync: H264 plays fine for 3/4 and than starts repeat. But sure enough, if I make an incision in the videotrack, just before the 'point of wrong return', it plays nice again. Surely more to this than just embedded TC.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arno Peeters View Post
Indeed, I've had the same thing (in PT9+CPTK) and not related to QT Sync: H264 plays fine for 3/4 and than starts repeat. But sure enough, if I make an incision in the videotrack, just before the 'point of wrong return', it plays nice again. Surely more to this than just embedded TC.
Great tip thanks !
Old 04-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Space Cabin Audio

I had never seen this problem before until 2 days ago. I was doing an ADR session and the video started looping from the start. Restarting PT solved it.

Then 2 of my editors reported back to me yesterday that it was happening to them. After much troubleshooting I think I have found the source of the problem.

Display Port to VGA adapters into an ASUS monitor, as well as DVI to VGA adapters to ASUS monitors.

This problem only happens to people on my team using ASUS monitors while using some type of conversion to get it there.

On my main system, which is not using an ASUS monitor, I have never seen this problem, but when I used this system with an ASUS monitor it did happen.

Very strange, and very specific but I thought I should share my findings.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM

I've had this problem too, nothing to do with timecode text tracks or the like, just with regular h.264 quicktimes.

It appears the "make a cut in the video track" trick works.

-jeremiah
Old 05-25-2012, 05:48 AM

That has happened to me sometimes. Create a new video track and then load a video in that new track. Try switching the online button of the two video tracks and that worked for me.

I hope that helps.

Miguel