Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 02:27 PM

Default G4 upgrades and ProTools

I am looking to upgrade the processor on my AGP G4 and wanted to know which would be the best for ProTools.
More specifically, how well does PT utilize dual processors and how significant is the L3 cache?

I put a Sonnet Encore single processor in my old G4 and it worked fine for a couple of months, but after installing a new DVR drive, the computer died- the logic board was fried and the processor looked slightly melted. This makes me wary to return to Sonnet, and processor upgrades in general. I'm not sure if it was an overheating problem, or a power supply issue. I'm concened with these issues on my new system as I have 2 ATA HDs, 1 SATA HD on a PCI Card and the same DVR drive that may have pushed my last computer over the edge (which only had 2 HDs).

Right now I'm looking at getting a dual processor from Giga Designs.
Any thoughts?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:32 AM

Default melting?

You could upgrade to 1.5GHz processor or more if you've got a sawtooth or newer logic board, but your bus speed is probably only 100MHz, so you prob wouldn't notice much difference above 1GHz. I would check out Other World Computing (Fastermacs.com) and talk to one of their Mac guys on the phone--nice people and pretty well-informed. I did a single 1GHz upgrade from 400MHz a while back (and 1.5GB of RAM) and it's smooth sailing, especially using outboard reverbs. See if you can get a single 1GHz somewhere, and not one of those melting ones.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: G4 upgrades and ProTools

HI,

Quote:
More specifically, how well does PT utilize dual processors and how significant is the L3 cache?
You CAN`T use a dual CPU baord with a G4/AGP model!!!!

but you can check with this tutorial:
http://sonnettech.com/publicfiles/pd...uet_2g_add.pdf
it´s from Sonnet but applies to EVERY dual upgrade, no matter what vendor.

I also duck out this tool (again): http://www.powerlogix.com/downloads/...SICChecker.sit
if your uni-north chip is below REV 7 you can´t use duals.

for the G4 architecture L3 cache is VITAL, don´t get a upgrade without one!!!

sorry to hear about your sonnet died, mine works for 2 years now under heavy duty.

there might be some fault with the upgrade but it can also be that you did not
refit the heatsink properly or that you did not apply a sufficient thermal compound.

the thermal pad which is at the original G4 heatsink is of no use at high speeds
invest in some ARCTIC Silver 5 or Ceramic thermal compound and you decrease the change
of boardfrying by 500%.

so far

regs