Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Default Overhead mics?

I'm about to purcahse a new pair of overheads to record drums with. I know everyone will have a different opinion, but from the forum posts I've seen today on other sites this needs to be brought up again everynow and then.

What mics do you use for drum overheads? How/Where do you palce the mics?

Any tricks you've come up with when mixing etc?

I'm looking at buying a pari of Oktava MK-012.....anyone had any experience with these? Or would I be better served purchasing Rode NT5's?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Overhead mics?

I hav THESE @ my Memphis spot(even The Mad Brad likes 'em) & we hav c414's @ the Nashville spot...

Room takes a huge part in it & there are really not much tricks needed in mixing when tracked well...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-27-2010, 01:36 AM

I have the Oktavas, they're ok. I'll leave it at that. If you want depth and tone I'd go with the Rode. After purchasing my first Rode (NT2A) I've fallen in love with their products.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 AM

I hav the RODE K2 & 2 NT1a's but never used those on drums before...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-27-2010, 10:08 AM

Ive used several but as far as bang for the buck.

I use the Mike J. modded MK-012 and its a reaaaaally good buy. Have Rodes, AKG, Nuemann, AT, and this one is a go to for me and overheads. Captures sound as flat as 160's. Dead flat. What you hear is what you get.

Drum Overheads
Classical Guitars
Solo Orchestral instruments
Acoustic guitar
Cab mics for things like Fender Jazzmaster, Old Princeton amps, etc.
Choir overheads especially w/ Omni capsules

By that fact allone it responds really well to eq and so forth. They arent dark or bright but very balanced.

And with the interchangable capsules its has diffenent flavors to work with.

Best bang for the buck. Best money youll spend in that catergory.

google oktavamod and see.
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio
Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I've been looking at the Oktavamod site a bit as well trying to gauge if that mod is worth it...so thanks for your opinion.

I'm also looking at the Shinybox ribbon mics. From everything I've read about them they seem good too. Too much gear too little money I guess.

I know the mics I'm looking at probably don't compare all that favouribly with the high end stuff, however I'm not at pro at this and have a budget to work with.

I've been using a pair of rode NT5s borrowed from a mate on all my recent recordings for overhead and random condensors for room mics (just for fun). the sound was ok, albeit quite shrill. this may have everything to do with how and where I'm placing the mics too.

I'm leaning towards ribbon mics that I may be able to use on other applications as I just like the mid frequency better. Doesn't sound so harsh to me.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM

I've used Rode NT5s for a few years now, and just got some AKG C-451Bs.
If you need a really crisp sound, I go with the NT5s, and for a darker, more mellow sound, I use the AKGs.
As for placement, I've always stuck with a spaced pair, one over the HH side, one over the Ride side, recorded to a stereo track.
When mixing, I usually do a parallel compression on the overheads, especially if I want more room sound.
Other than that, all I can say is to have really good sounding drums to start with.

System 1:
PT 10.3.4, 003 Rack, PreSonus DigMax LT
MacPro Quad Xeon 3.0GHz, 16 gigs RAM, Mac OS 10.7.5 Lion
OWC Mercury Extreme SSD system drive
3 TB WD drives, (a ton of) External drives, yada yada My System is cool too, blah blah
Never had an installation problem, incompatibility issue, crash, bug, slowdown, etc.
www.CornerHouseStudio.com
Old 04-28-2010, 07:42 PM

spaced pair, large cap or active ribbon

and or my SM-2 center over the snare X/Y or M/S

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-02-2010, 02:37 AM

Do you have a good sounding room? If so take a look at the cascae fatheads. Probably the best bang for buck in audio at the moment (but you really do need a good room).

Also, what kind of music do you do and do you have a preferred kind of sound? You really need to think about your goal before choosing mics IMO.

There's a zillion different placement techniques. I often use the Andy Johns method. Google it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barters81 View Post
I'm about to purcahse a new pair of overheads to record drums with. I know everyone will have a different opinion, but from the forum posts I've seen today on other sites this needs to be brought up again everynow and then.

What mics do you use for drum overheads? How/Where do you palce the mics?

Any tricks you've come up with when mixing etc?

I'm looking at buying a pari of Oktava MK-012.....anyone had any experience with these? Or would I be better served purchasing Rode NT5's?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:34 PM

I've been recording anything from Jazz to hard rock recently. I understand that there is a decent difference between how the two kits should be mic'ed etc. Unfortunately my budget only goes as far as one set of overheads.

I'm down to the modded Oktavas, or a set of Shinybox ribbons with one of the two upgraded transformers.