Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM

Default Eleven LE (plugin) is deadware?

So what about it Avid? Are you ever going to give customers an upgrade to this product?

I - along with many others - paid some significant cash for this software with what I believe to be a reasonable expectation that we'd see some upgrades to it someday... but that day has yet to arrive.

11R is fine for what it is, but not everyone needs (or wants) a H/W interface modeler. And I read in another thread about how it may get an upgrade that is not going to propagate to the plug-in - for shame. There is no reason the two cannot have a closer code line other than Avid choosing to abandon the plug-in in favor of rack.

If you want to abandon it then at least have the decency to make an announcement so we don't all sit around waiting for a invitation to the prom that will never arrive.

I encourage other plug-in owners to add their own voice to this thread so Avid can see that we are still interested in making this the premier amp modeler out there - or maybe I am alone... hello ... is this thing on?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Eleven LE (plugin) is deadware?

IdeaScale...

They do listen. 11R expansion pack is proof.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Avid

Ideascale (protools.ideascale.com) is the place. This is something the guitar team would definitely like to do, but we're a small team that has many priorities to juggle (and actually, there are reasons that the code bases aren't more similar which I can't get into here).

I do have to state for the record that whether or not your expectations were reasonable, Avid never promised an update to Eleven. I never buy software for what I might get later. I buy it for what it is.

Anyway, please do submit your vote on ideascale...I'm on your side...
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0287 View Post
So what about it Avid? Are you ever going to give customers an upgrade to this product?

I - along with many others - paid some significant cash for this software with what I believe to be a reasonable expectation that we'd see some upgrades to it someday... but that day has yet to arrive.

11R is fine for what it is, but not everyone needs (or wants) a H/W interface modeler. And I read in another thread about how it may get an upgrade that is not going to propagate to the plug-in - for shame. There is no reason the two cannot have a closer code line other than Avid choosing to abandon the plug-in in favor of rack.

If you want to abandon it then at least have the decency to make an announcement so we don't all sit around waiting for a invitation to the prom that will never arrive.

I encourage other plug-in owners to add their own voice to this thread so Avid can see that we are still interested in making this the premier amp modeler out there - or maybe I am alone... hello ... is this thing on?
I have been saying that same thing for a long time now. The Rack and RTAS software should be identical in terms of features. The Rack is limited by what ever the internal memory is, so if Eleven Rtas was to grow to include as many amps and effects as Amplitube 3, that may be a reason why they could not be identical. However, this could be over come by an option to load only the Amps and effects you want into the rack.

Say ELEVEN RTAS includes 40 amps and 70 effects. And Say 11R can hold 25 amps and 30 effects. A app could be written for the 11R to choose any 25 amps and 30 effects and load those into the 11R's memory, and be able to change out your selections at will by exchanging rig with the app when connected to a computer. Basically I am saying the App would be a customizable Firmware update.

However at this point in time that is not needed since the 11R already has more Amps and Effects in it than the RTAS version, which basically has no restriction in terms of size.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post

I do have to state for the record that whether or not your expectations were reasonable, Avid never promised an update to Eleven. I never buy software for what I might get later. I buy it for what it is.
While this is true, that people DO buy software for what it IS at the time of purchase, I would argue that there is an expectation/hope of the software being updated, by the end user. You are very correct the pretty much no company "guarantees" or "promises" that software will be updated and improved, but we are some what conditioned to expect that software will be updated by the simple fact that most people are not buying Version 1 of any software.

When someone is buying Pro Tools 9, the "9" itself represents the history of updates in that software, and I would argue it is not illogical for the end user to expect an update to 9.1, based on the observed history of the program.

However again you are correct that the Distributer does not OWE the end user an update, its just expected from our experience with the evolution of software, whether that expectation/hope is founded or not, it still exists.

The simple fact is that if Digidesign stopped at Pro Tools 5, no one would be using Pro Tools anymore. If Adobe stopped at Photoshop 6, no one would be using Photoshop, if Windows stopped at 3.1, no one would be using Windows now and so on....

Its actually to the benefit of the Distributer for the end user to expect an update, because you have a percent of owners that will update, which is more money for the company.

I would argue that if no one had an expectation of future improvement on software they own, that no software company would be very large, and therefore would not have the ability to evolve so quickly, because end users would buy Version 1 of "Product X" from Company X, then when Company Y puts out a more advanced product that does the same things as "Product X"+ more, the end user has no expectation of an update of "Product X" from Company X, so he will buy Version 1 of "Product Y" from Company Y, thereby taking dollars away from Company X. They same for Company Y once Product Y runs its course.

Company X and Y would soon collapse because the end user would see no updates are coming, so why invest in software that will be obsolete within 2 years, then have to jump to a totally new software from Company A, then Company B, ect... when they can get something from Company Z which is committed to advancing their products.

But again the end user is NOT OWED an update, its simply in the best rational interest of the Maker to improve their software, and the end users expectation of improvements is to the gain of the Maker not a minus.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Posted by Chris Townsend on 2/15/2008:

"I think I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence that there will be updates to Eleven which will include more Amp/Cab models and possibly other features. But I definitely can't make any guarantees as to when."
Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Posted by Chris Townsend on 2/15/2008:

"I think I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence that there will be updates to Eleven which will include more Amp/Cab models and possibly other features. But I definitely can't make any guarantees as to when."
The "when" is more of an "if" and that will be when Avid has not sold a copy in at least year and do some more market research as to whether or not an update or completely new product will compete against the traffic that's already out there and whether or not to compete in-house against 11R.

With 11R they can sell an interface, a copy of PTLE and a guitar modeler, thus competing in several market segments simultaneously. I'm sure someone over at the PM or VP level has already decided (in their own mind if not on paper or out loud to the troops - who have a tendency to talk to the community/consumer) that Eleven as an RTAS plug-in no longer fits with the product positioning strategy, especially when Eleven Free is bundled with PTLE oh by the way.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 PM

The thing is, money is money. There's a lot of people with just the plugin who could potentially spend the $99 for the upgrade. I don't know why Avid wouldn't want that.

On the other hand, they've done some strange things regarding the plugin. Once they put it in the toolkits, hardly anyone would just buy the plugin, when they could buy the music toolkit for the same price and sell the other assets.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Hey benoni,
Excellent points there sir! You make a very good case for Avid to look long and hard at the situation and maybe reconsider what is looking more and more like an abandoned ship in the Eleven plugin.

Very good argument there!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:27 AM

Let's test the "hate level" for this possible solution....

Eleven Rack Engine - an Eleven Plug-in Host