Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 04-02-2017, 02:35 PM

Default best non-AVID control surface for PT?

Hey there guys!!
I just need some great suggestions about some good control surfaces for PT!
I really want to buy the Icon Qcon pro X (the meter feature is amazing ! gave me the look of a real analog mixing board)
But it seems that all perfect control surfaces for pro tools work with the Eucon technology: the artist mix, avid c3, euphonix mc... they are way above my budget! All other control surfaces uses HUI/Mackie technology, with a little limitation when it comes to pro tools DAW but apparently, as I see in reviews, people are just working fine with them using PT!
I really need a control surface for ma workflow but I don't really know which one to buy! I would like at least 8 fader control surface.
+ what are the best (or reliable) control surfaces that work with PT (other than the avid ones)? do you guys have any experience with the Icon Qcon pro x or the Mackie Control Universal Pro or presonus faderport 8 or any others? are you guys using non avid controllers with your pro tools?
Thanks
Old 04-02-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Re: best non-AVID control surface for PT?

I would look at the Behringer X series as you really do get a lot for quite little money. The X Desk is 8 faders and works great with PT. I only seen and tried it at music messe but i know t is NOT old Behringer crap. Since they bought Midas it has become a whole new ballgame and the X series are easy to install and works great, feels good/great but no meter bridge if thats important to you.

Then I would look at a used C24 or the Presonus Faderport 8. It is supposed to work with PT12 but I can not say yay or nay as i never used it.

The Q-con is good value for money too but i never been keen on them for some reason, we only have used the ICON series and now we run our trusted SSL4000G+ 48 channel and two Slate Raven MTi2 which are a revelation

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-02-2017, 06:34 PM

Cheeeers! Thanks for the reply! the sslG+ is a dream! I didn't find any PT review of the qcon pro X! I can't deny It's an eye candy with its 2 LCD screens and meter bridges! looks solid! an analogue desk look'a'like lol! but I am still not sure how integrated it is with HUI PT.
I wasn't thinking of the behringer X at all! I'll guess this is what I'll try to get for now. This or the presonus FP8.
Thanks again! You're always here for help and I learned a lot from you
Old 04-02-2017, 07:45 PM

Just wanted to let you know what a friend of mine said tonight, he has both the new Qcon Pro and the older Qcon and he said the scribble strips in the LED screen is very basic and hard to see if you aren't on top of it basically so even though it looks "like a console" it is not as good as it looks. They have used them for just a few months and now tucked them away and use an S3.

I know we are not comparing an S3 with the Qcon but I know they are hard pressed for money as the clients are fading away and he would never have bought anything more had the Qcon lived up to the tasks so if you are going for one, Please go and see one IRL and touch it. It is very small and as he said, very disappointing screens which might be one of the reasons people want to buy them so see one and touch it before you buy. All this IMHO of course

All the Best and Thank You for the Kind Words

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 AM

Before you spend any money, put an iPad with PT|Control on it above your computer keyboard. Try it for a couple of days. It's surprisingly useful.