How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2016, 01:29 AM

Default Pro Tools and outboard Gear

Hello there!

I started to use PRO TOOLS just yesterday (so far I was using Logic) and I'm trying to hook up my outboard gear but can't really get my head round it. I've attached below all the inputs outputs etc so that you get an idea of how everything is hooked up.

When no insert is engaged I get sound from both aux channels so the busses are working properly.

When I engage insert 5-6 on the ''elyssia'' strip , I'm only getting sound from the ''TC'' aux. When I engage insert 7-8 on the ''TC'' strip, I'm only getting sound from the ''Elyssia''. When I engage both, I'm only getting sound from the ''elyssia'' aux and surprisingly the sound does actually go through the ''elyssia'' outboard unit!

Could somebody please explain to me what is going on? Is the setup correct or I have to do something different?

Thanks a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inputs.jpg (52.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Outputs.jpg (53.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Busses.jpg (55.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Inserts.jpg (48.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Mix.jpg (70.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2016, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools and outboard Gear

Hey, Ive been having trouble with outboard gear as well. I'm hitting my bus comp. on the way out and i have it coming back in on 7-8 everything looks great but I'm not hearing the comp. on the print tracks. I'm using a 8 ch. summing mixer. I have a pair of pultecs on the drum bus, 1 1176 that I want to insert on one stem and a stereo comp on the main output. Everything is working but not printing.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Koreli View Post
Hello there!

I started to use PRO TOOLS just yesterday (so far I was using Logic) and I'm trying to hook up my outboard gear but can't really get my head round it. I've attached below all the inputs outputs etc so that you get an idea of how everything is hooked up.

When no insert is engaged I get sound from both aux channels so the busses are working properly.

When I engage insert 5-6 on the ''elyssia'' strip , I'm only getting sound from the ''TC'' aux. When I engage insert 7-8 on the ''TC'' strip, I'm only getting sound from the ''Elyssia''. When I engage both, I'm only getting sound from the ''elyssia'' aux and surprisingly the sound does actually go through the ''elyssia'' outboard unit!

Could somebody please explain to me what is going on? Is the setup correct or I have to do something different?

Thanks a lot!

For your inserts you should be using the 'Insert' tab, not setting it up as In/out as you have. The reference manual is in the Help menu, if you search setting up Inserts, there's is a clear step by step process to setting up outboard gear.

The way you have it, would quite likely result in Delay of the returning signal that you wouldn't be able to compensate for.

Also, I suggest that for your 'Inserts' that you go out/in on the same numbered i/o. For instance, if your insert is set up on 5/6, then the gear you're connecting to should also be connected on 5/6 on the unit.

As for setting up FX, I would do the same thing, set it up as an insert. Create an AUX, place the Hardware FX on the AUX as an insert, then create a send on the track you want to send. Just as you would on an analogue desk, or as you would a plugin effect.

Welcome to PT's, the reference manual has tonnes of information. Also, to help further, we need to know what interface you're using as some don't play well with Hardware inserts. Cheers.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-26-2016, 04:42 AM

I'm on PT and Logic too. Use "Insert" just as you would in Logic.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:34 PM

It all depends on how you want to use your outbound gear.

If you want to clean up your vocals before they are recorded in pro tools them you can use "inserts" on your external interface hardware. *note* inserts may only work with phantom powered xlr devices. If your using your hardware gear with something like a synth or a drum pad then to get around that you have to plug your device directly into the compressor and out the compressor into the inputs of your sound card (ignoring the need of "inserts")

However if your goal is to clean up vocals and certain audio sources post production you would then use "hardware inserts" in pro tools io setup. Out of sound card into compressor, out of compressor back into corresponding inputs (if your out 3 and 4 when your returning from the compressor you must go into input 3 and 4) this completes the hardware insert not to be confused with inserts labeled on your hardware devices.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 AM

*note* inserts may only work with phantom powered xlr devices.

What does this mean?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:36 AM

Maybe GoGoJoe is talking about the insert jacks on some audio interfaces that are post preamp and pre-ADC? I dunno. But that's completely separate from Pro Tools hardware inserts, and phantom power has nothing to do with it.