Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-26-2018, 10:40 AM

Default Exporting Audio (WAV) for a Mixer

Ok, this was super easy when I was using Cakewalk back in the days, but there seems to be different ways of exporting audio for a mixing engineer who isn’t necessarily using Pro Tools.

Let’s say for arguments sake, I have 30 tracks. 10 stereo, 20 in Mono. Stereo and mono all have different panning and what not and some are 100% left and right and sone mono tracks are right down the middle. Guitar distortion effects are printed, as is bass and everything else including stringed instruments and keyboards. The works.

How do I simply export all those tracks at the same time, as they are, as I hear them, both stereo and mono with all the permitters in place into WAV files for a mixing engineer? Volume levels, panning, etc, etc..

I’ve tried YouTube, Google, I just can’t seem to find anything good on it.. if anyone knows of a good video tutorial they can recommend for that, shoot that over to me. I learn a thousand times better by seeing it done, rather than trying to read how do do something...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2018, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Exporting Audio (WAV) for a Mixer

Step 1-create a folder for each song in a handy place. This could be inside the session folder or on the desktop(my preference) or anywhere that makes sense for you.
Step 2-make all audio on every track a single audio file and have them all start at the same time stamp(consolidate to zero is pretty simple).
Step 3-open the CLIPS bin(on the right side of the screen)
Step 4-drag across and up(or down) so you highlight every audio track(they all all show as selected in the CLIPS bin)
Step 5-right-click on the CLIPS bin and choose Export Clips as Files. Choose sample rate and bit depth(matching the session is a good choice) and then choose the destination. Select the folder you made in step 1 and export.

Once finished, check the folder to see if all the clips are there(they will be if you didn't miss a step).

Last word(which should be first) BEFORE you do the export routine, rename all the consolidated clips so the next person to use these files will know exactly what each is(as in Kick in, Snare Top, LdVox, Piano, etc. There is nothing worse than receiving a batch of audio files named Audio_21_EA......

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-26-2018, 11:31 AM

What??? He doesn’t use pro tools???? Just kidding, I had to say it.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:50 PM

Default Exporting Audio (WAV) for a Mixer

Dave, while your method is exactly what I would use, the OP here wants to export post pan and volume. In essence, it sounds like he wants to export every track as a unique stem where they can be dropped into another DAW and have the exact same mix at unity. There's no simple way to do this in Pro Tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-26-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
He is using Pro Tools so what did mean by that comment?

He ”Used” to run Cakewalk, Didn’t say he ”use” Cakewalk now ..

He was jokingly referring to who I would be sending WAV files to, not using Pro Tools..

Old 12-26-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdster75 View Post
He was jokingly referring to who I would be sending WAV files to, not using Pro Tools..

Hehe saw that later on the larger screen .. Iphone X was not displaying the tapTalk correctly so i deleted my post

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-26-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Dave, while your method is exactly what I would use, the OP here wants to export post pan and volume. In essence, it sounds like he wants to export every track as a unique stem where they can be dropped into another DAW and have the exact same mix at unity. There's no simple way to do this in Pro Tools.

So how exactly would they turn out with Dave’s method? Volumes all back to 0db and all panning set back to 0?

Old 12-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdster75 View Post
So how exactly would they turn out with Dave’s method? Volumes all back to 0db and all panning set back to 0?

Yes. Which is typically what a mix engineer wants. I've never had one want me to apply the rough mix destructively before turning the session over.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-26-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Yes. Which is typically what a mix engineer wants. I've never had one want me to apply the rough mix destructively before turning the session over.

Ok then. Sounds like that’s the way it’s supposed to be then.. Still learning this whole process. Learn something new everyday...

Old 12-26-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Only solution is to print every track, this can be done in one pass if the track count is not too large when doubled.

Last edited by amagras; 12-26-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Correct the Autocorrect