Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-1999, 08:22 AM

Default Mix Farm vs 2 Vintage Farms?

So, anybody else out there have this experience? I've got a 9600 with 4 usable slots (6 minus the video and Adaptec FW SCSI cards). I want to use SampleCell and Pro Tools 24 and still get as much DSP as I can. I have 3 Vintage TDM Farm cards that I use with the d24, but I'm tired of swapping out a card every time I want to use SampleCell. So, I shelled out for a Mix Farm thinking it would equal at least 2 Vintage Farm cards, but it doesn't seem to work like that in the real world. Upon opening a session that had 1 free DSP with 3 Vintage Farms, I find that it will only load about 6 instances of Waves plug-ins with the Mix Farm d24 and 1 Vintage Farm (that's 10 instances short of what I had before). What up Digi? I thought you said that the Mix Farm was equal to 3 Vintage farms? Turns out it doesn't even equal 2. I just blew $3000 on your misinformation! Jeff

PS Waves 2.5
Old 10-07-1999, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Mix Farm vs 2 Vintage Farms?

wow
i'm moments away from shelling out to create the exact same set-up. i am after more dsp power, of course, and doubling my track count. you've got me spooked. people who know, please respond to this!

Digi???

www.tompaul.com
Old 10-08-1999, 05:44 AM

You have to use a higher version of WaveShell DAE in order for the Waves plug-ins to show up on the MIX cards. But that's another story. Some people have been having problems with Waves plug-ins working correctly with the MIX cards. Waves just posted version 2.8 to try and fix these problems. I haven't tried it yet so I can't give you any details.
Old 10-08-1999, 07:34 AM

is there a way to specify that the waves stuff utilize only the vintage farm or is there somne default path when a plug searches for dsp? if it is in compatible with a mix farm (i use 2.5 waveshell) will it still work in a system with vintage and mix farms installed, without upgrading waves?

thanks

www.tompaul.com
Old 10-08-1999, 08:38 AM

If you use version 2.5 then Waves will automatically appear on the Vintage Farms. If you use higher versions than this then Waves is subject to the DSP MANAGER and will appear on any available DSP chip wether it be MIX or Vintage.
Old 10-08-1999, 08:55 AM

You'd think some of these issues would filter down to the dealer level so that they could inform the buyer before they shell out for hardware.

I've been informed by colleagues (still no response from digi) that I need to be using PT 4.3.X instead of 4.1.1 (duh) and Waves recommended downloading Waves 2.8. I notice that there's a disclaimer on the Waves website saying that it's possible that plug-ins will not load into available DSP even if it appears to be free and that this problem will be addressed in a future download. Nice heads-up guys. BTW you need Stuffit 5.0 to expand Waves 2.8 downloads. They neglect to say this on their site.

We'll see if all this solves the problem, or if it just creates new ones, as I suspect. Jeff
Old 10-08-1999, 07:38 PM

legoat

I've forwarded your suggestion and can understand your frustration in the immediate sense of setting up new cards/software to "plug and play." For future reference all this information can be found in the compatibility section of the Digidesign web page. Just click on the link at the bottom of this page.

In regards to having to pay for a upgrade when you've spent over $3000.00 is understandable as well. I would call into Digidesign Customer Service and take the issue up with them to see what they can do for you. I know we have multiple upgrade offers for the d24 system which you might or might not know about. One of them seems to fit your needs. You can turn in the d24 audio card (keeping the DSP farm) in exchange for a 24 MIX core card plus the Pro Tools 4.3.1 software and promotional plug-ins. Either talk to your dealer or call into Digidesign Pre-Sales at 1 800 333-2137 for more information.

Brad
Old 10-09-1999, 12:04 AM

legoat

You've upgraded to Pro Tools 4.3.1 and Waves 2.8 which his needed to utilize the 24 MIX card so where are we at here and how's the system performing? I don't know what kind of response you're looking for (..."still no responce from Digi") though I'm here at your disposal.

Let me know

Brad
Old 10-09-1999, 12:09 AM

Legoat - If you had 4.1.1, you don't have Mix-farms, do you? If so, 2.5 is the most stable Waves ever - and it's more DSP-friendly than newer versions. If you have MIX in any form, than yes, 2.8 is needed.
Przemek.
Old 10-09-1999, 12:15 AM

Coming back to original question - I have MIX+, so I cannot say anything about original farms. But if one is planning to mix inside Pro-Tools, MIX-farm is very handy - because even if one have all those plugs, something must take care of all these sends - and MIX-farm (where that name came from?) is very good for mixer plug-in. Of course, better two or more - but that's another story. And McDSP stuff works on ALL MIX-chips and is very good and low-DSP. Really worth checking - but one cannot get rid of L1, no!
Przemek.