Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 AM

Default Pro Tools 8 MP compatible with Windows 8?

Has anyone tried running Pro Tools 8 MP on Windows 8 Release Preview or RTM?

I am not really eager to upgrade to PT10 right now, so hoping I can still run it. Works fine on my Win 7 desktop...
Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 MP compatible with Windows 8?

How about you tell us.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
How about you tell us.
I can't believe Avid has been so LAME about NOT giving the Protools community more information on compatibility issues (or no issues) for PT 8,9 and 10 regarding the release of Windows 8. I've been all over the net. I'd like to install my Windows 8 Pro software, but until I get some more info on if it's going to "play nice" with my PT8 LE I'm on hold! Anyone else in the same boat. Your thoughts PLEASE. Thanks. Scott in Boulder Co.

Last edited by Pathfinder1; 11-01-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 AM

Unhappy Re: Pro Tools 8 MP compatible with Windows 8?

Hi am having a problem installing pro tools 8 on to my new PC it is the following spec:
Windows 8
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3330 processor (6 MB Cache memory, 3.00 GHz)
RAM 8 GB (2 x 4GB)
- DDR3
- 1333 MHz
- 16 GB (8 GB + 8 GB)
Graphics AMD HD6670 [R6670-MD2GD3]
- 2GB DDR3 dedicated memory
- 800 MHz core clock speed
Hard Drive 2 TB

When I installing Pro tools 8 I get an error message saying (The current Microsoft windows version does not support this operation. Occurred in .\ copying cpp at line:388 other error 10 internal operation: 10) after installation when I try to run Pro tools I tells me I need the installation of Device TPkd and reboot.
I downloaded the driver from http://www.paceap.com/ but I am still getting the same error.

Is there any solutions or do I need to upgrade my software?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 PM

I only upgraded to Windows 8 earlier this week so I haven't done any real work with Pro Tools yet but I have it installed successfully, it opens fine and plays back my projects fine as well (I've check several times prior to posting here). Here is what I did for LE 8 I couldn't imagine MP would be any different of a process except the 8.0.5 update link.

**REMEMBER KILL EVERY APPLICATION POSSIBLE INCLUDING INTERNET CONNECTION AND SECURITY/ANTI-VIRUS ETC THROUGHOUT THE INSTALLS**

Put Pro Tools LE 8 disc in and run the installer, it will give you a few errors but continue on anyway until install is finished and restart once more when everything is complete. **DO NOT RUN PRO TOOLS YET!!!**

Still DO NOT run Pro Tools and now install the 8.0.5 update (right click the installer and run as administrator) this is the MP 8.0.5 update http://secure.digidesign.com/service...&localeCode=en

Restart the computer again after install is complete

Again DO NOT run Pro Tools and install the PACE driver update (right click the installer and run as administrator) from PACE http://www.paceap.com/dldrvr.html

Now it's time for the first run ***RIGHT CLICK PRO TOOLS LE 8 APPLICATION AND RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR FOR THE FIRST RUN*** remember the first run will take a while :) after you should be good to go and can open it normally beyond that point.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:45 PM

I only upgraded to Windows 8 earlier this week so I haven't done any real work with Pro Tools yet but I have it installed, it opens fine and plays back my projects fine as well (tried several times including after restarts). Here is what I did for LE 8 I couldn't imagine MP would be any different of a process except the update.

**REMEMBER KILL EVERY APPLICATION POSSIBLE INCLUDING INTERNET CONNECTION AND SECURITY/ANTI-VIRUS ETC THROUGHOUT THE INSTALLS**

Put Pro Tools LE 8 disc in and run the installer, it will give you a few errors but continue on anyway until install is finished and restart once more when everything is complete. **DO NOT RUN PRO TOOLS YET!!!**

Still DO NOT run Pro Tools and now install the 8.0.5 MP update (right click the installer and run as administrator) http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...675?popup=true

Again DO NOT run Pro Tools and install the PACE driver update (right click the installer and run as administrator) from PACE http://www.paceap.com/dldrvr.html

Now it's time for the first run ***RIGHT CLICK PRO TOOLS LE 8 APPLICATION AND RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR FOR THE FIRST RUN*** remember the first run will take a while :) after you should be good to go.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM

I just installed pro-tools 8.0.4 le on a new Toshiba laptop with windows 8 with no problems. There were a few error boxes that popped up which I bypassed. I'm using a M-box 2 interface with an eleven rack and a Axiom controller. All installed just fine. I just put the protools disc in and let it run through the installation. Was actually very supprised it went as smooth as it did. Pro-tool opened up fine after the computer restart. Eleven rack and the Axiom worked as well.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:27 AM

Can anbody help please?

My son has a new Lenovo desktop with Windows 8 and he is trying to install ProTools 8LE. After inserting the disc and hitting install a message comes up "this app won't run on this PC" and then he can't go any further.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:01 AM

well i did get protools 8 running on windows 8, but strangely ... each time i ran it, i had serious problems with my user profiles in windows 8 . The first time, i created a project and recorded some tracks. I Was concerned about a delay - it looked like the recorded wav was not going to be in sync, but when i played back that night ... it sounded fine. Later that night my network usb thing stopped working and my user profile got trashed.. I had to create a new user. Then - a week later - I tried PT on the new user profile. It seemed to load fine, but I Could not open the previous project. It claimed i set the disk to "transfer only" - which i never did. So i tried a few more things and shut it down. Soon after, my profile was trashed again... this time with different behavior. I have not linked it definitively yet, but it is a strong suspiscion that PT played a part. This is just my input.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:13 PM

Hi there,
I have a similar problem than some of you guys.
I used to have a laptop running on Windows XP and used M-Powered Essential to do my music. Did not need anything fancy so never bothered buying the full upgrade.

My laptop died a few months ago and I have just bought a new one running on Windows 8. It seems that I am unable to use M-Powered Essential in Windows 8 as the systems are not compatible. It seems it's the same for Mac with the 10. something OS version.

Now, I would like to know my options. I am a bit upset as it looks I don't have any... I have dozens and dozens of hours of work put into my sessions, I hope I can find a way to save that so I don't have to redo everything in the new equipment I will end up using with Windows 8 or Mac (my gf's laptop). But if I am stuck, then I think I will just go for an old machine equipped with Windows XP so I don't lose my sessions. Someone said I could buy Pro Tools 11. First, it is expensive and I was not planning on such expense. But even then, would my M-Powered Essential sessions work in Pro Tools 11?

Thanks for your advice and opinion on this.

Ipsilon