Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2015, 04:31 AM

Default Re: What happens if I DON'T upgrade to PT11 before December 31st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Bottom line is, none of us quite frankly really matter at all to avid. I don't blame them for that, it's just a fact of business, I can respect that.

One little small thing that stood out to me, is I was watching an NFL TV spot, where they were talking about how they shared all of the camera views to be able to consolidate those and to be able to make a NFL Network TV show for the following week. One thing I noticed very obviously in the video of the documentary regarding how they composite all of these videos together to make the NFL experience so exciting was that they are using avid hardware. What this tells me, is that there's a huge need for what Avid provides, and there's a huge need for avid everywhere, just all of us guys out there that need to use it to make recordings every day, in the big scheme of things, we're just small fish in a pond these days. Sooner or later, all of us have to understand that, whether we like it or not, it simply is what it is. Myself, as a businessman, I understand it, and quite frankly, I respect it. Whether I like it or not!
And we have a winner!

It's a sad fact but as you point out, until those of us who use Avid s/w and h/w for audio recording realize we are not Avid's prime demographic, and never have been, we're deluding ourselves into thinking Avid really cares (cue Sally Fields at the Oscars ).

QAPLA!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvillej View Post
I have an upgrade question that seems to pertain to this thread. Let me try to lay it out clearly.

On 1/9/15 I purchased the $199 crossgrade to PT11 at the Avid site. I had PT8LE MBox2Pro. I missed two things in my reading before I purchased the item- that I needed an iLok2 and that LE updates were over on Dec 31. That update sits in my Product section. When I tried to activate, I got to the second screen and it informed me about my iLok problem. I then went back and read things more closely and saw the Dec 31 ending date for LE users.I assumed that the update was not going to work and filled out a request for a refund to my VISA. I haven't heard back on that yet.

Next day, I went to Sweetwater and bought the upgrade from them . I also got my new iLok from them. When I tried to use the activation number I bought from them I got thru the process but no licenses appeared in my iLok, nor did any new downloads appear in my Avid product section. I called their support, we looked thru the process, it seemed like I had done all the right things, but no license or download. We tried to start the process over, but when we entered the number the red letters told us that this number had already been activated and couldn't be used again. Sweetwater's guy said I must contact Avid support on this one. I filled out a form on that and heven't heard back yet on that either.

My question: I've now paid twice for my crossgrade, once to Avid and once to Sweetwater. The thing I bought from Avid is sitting in my Product section labeled Pro Tools Upgrade and Support Plan 2015 (Qty: 1). My understanding at the moment is that Avid will not honor this Upgrade due to my missing the cutoff date. My Sweetwater purchase is not showing up anywhere yet. I would like to get this upgrade but I'd like to only pay for it once.

Do you think Avid will honor my purchase even tho it was late and I should seek a refund from Sweetwater or do you think Avid will refund my money and then honor my Sweetwater activation number?

And, yes, I know you may not have an answer for this and I may have to wait for Avid to let me know, but its pretty frustrating and I'm just looking for information. Thanks...oj

PS- I'm now on a brand new iMac with Yosemite and an Apollo Twin for interface.
I'm glad you posted. I was about to go down the sweetwater route having missed out on the cut off date but now will not bother.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And we have a winner!

It's a sad fact but as you point out, until those of us who use Avid s/w and h/w for audio recording realize we are not Avid's prime demographic, and never have been, we're deluding ourselves into thinking Avid really cares (cue Sally Fields at the Oscars ).
Same thing I've been posting about for months...Avid is focusing on the high-end market...the low end to the mid-pro users are just SOL...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-18-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftstudios View Post
So basically what you're saying here is as a businessman, you'd be completely happy to segment, ignore, and otherwise neglect a part of your business segment because "They're not your big clients."

If that is what you're saying then I hope you're making good money in your business because that's a morally unjust thing to do. Discriminate against the "minority" because they don't really serve a purpose to you. The correct thing to do would be pull out of that segment of the network if you don't really value them...
There's nothing morally just about capitalism. It's all just about money.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-18-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftstudios View Post
...The correct thing to do would be pull out of that segment of the network if you don't really value them...
Which is exactly what Avid did by selling M-Audio and AIR! They certainly looked like they were going broke by trying to expand and become all things to all people.

Digidesign's core business for Pro Tools has always been post production audio even though the founders and most of the folks who work there have always been musicians. The things that made it great for post production also made it great for locking to multitrack recorders in large music studios where it was originally used for things like comping and tuning vocals. As storage costs dropped and the number of channels available increased, people started recording entire high-profile music productions in Pro Tools since they knew how to use it and it was already sitting in the control womb.

My point is that HD software and hardware is their core product and it is priced right with its competition for their core business which is not Guitar Center customers. In spite of all that, Pro Tools 11 vanilla is a great product that promises to become an excellent music composition platform after Avid and the plug-in developers get everything stabilized for Avid's core high-end users. Their competitors will always offer HD features, lower prices or both as a means of attracting would be Pro Tools customers but that's a race to the bottom I doubt Avid is likely to engage in.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
I'm glad you posted. I was about to go down the sweetwater route having missed out on the cut off date but now will not bother.
Not to get off topic, but I also upgraded on the 9th without problems. You can purchase from Sweetwater always knowing that they are there to take care of you.

I think the previous poster ran into issues because he first made a transaction in the Avid store. I tried to upgrade through the Avid store but the site told me I did not qualify and I was not able to complete the purchase.

I forwarded myself to Sweetwater and the transaction was super smooth and instructional.

(I do not work for Sweetwater, just a happy customer.)
Old 01-19-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Voyles View Post
Not to get off topic, but I also upgraded on the 9th without problems. You can purchase from Sweetwater always knowing that they are there to take care of you.

I think the previous poster ran into issues because he first made a transaction in the Avid store. I tried to upgrade through the Avid store but the site told me I did not qualify and I was not able to complete the purchase.

I forwarded myself to Sweetwater and the transaction was super smooth and instructional.

(I do not work for Sweetwater, just a happy customer.)
Took your advice and bought

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PT11LEup-e

Went through the registration and now I have pro tools 11.

Extended thank you ! You've made my week!

Crossgrade / upgrade from pro tools 8 LE mbox 2 mini to pro tools 11 is still available 20/01/15 via sweetwater.

Edit: for anyone wondering all you need is the serial of your mbox 2 device (back of device on white sticker)
Old 01-20-2015, 12:42 AM

I'd just like to say thanks to Avid and Sweetwater. Avid has started the refund process for my inadvisable purchase from them and resolved my problem by getting my Sweetwater-purchased PT 11 activated and into my account. I downloaded it all today and its working like a charm so far.

Avid resolved my problems within a week's time, which I think is a reasonable expectation and Sweetwater was super thru the whole thing, spent a lot of time with me on the phone. I will remember that the next time I make an audio gear purchase.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvillej View Post
I'd just like to say thanks to Avid and Sweetwater. Avid has started the refund process for my inadvisable purchase from them and resolved my problem by getting my Sweetwater-purchased PT 11 activated and into my account. I downloaded it all today and its working like a charm so far.

Avid resolved my problems within a week's time, which I think is a reasonable expectation and Sweetwater was super thru the whole thing, spent a lot of time with me on the phone. I will remember that the next time I make an audio gear purchase.
That's really good to hear.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 PM

..., so Protools12 at namm,heh, ...

I told you so!!

I do not understand why moderators are unable to distinguish between real information and hoax and so they deleted my leaked information I got from inside of avid!

So, I would recommend to nail down avid and get an official statement if Protools12 would be a free upgrade or if avid specifies it as a new product!