Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2002, 08:53 PM

Default Buffer errors related to CPU temperature?

I just built a new system with AMD XP1700 and Asus A7V266e mobo... I tend to get a lot of buffer error messages once my computer has been on for a while and the CPU temp is high. Is there any link between these two things or is there probably another reason for the errors???

Thanks,
~mike [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2002, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Buffer errors related to CPU temperature?

I used to have problems with heat and errors. Try this- take the side off the case and put a small house fan next to the box blowing air accross the mobo. Then try some sessions and see if you still get the errors. If this "fixes" the problem, then you know its a heat issue. you can then add in 2 extra case fans and get a better cpu heatsink/fan.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:47 PM

One more thing. If it turns out heat IS the issue and you add more fans, you might end up with noise problems. There are several work arounds such as a watercooled case, adjustable speed fans, and there are "quieter" cpu fans than the 7200 rpm ones which sound like a vacuum cleaner inside your case.

Here is another solution that JMS40 posted on another thread. "I solved the noise problem by moving my box out of my recording space. I am using a 10 foot SCSI 2 cable with no problems (readily available form computer suppliers). I'm using a stock case."
Old 01-02-2002, 08:20 PM

Thanks! I'll give the house fan thing a try and see how that goes. If I had the money right now I'd just buy a watercooled case. It is such a pain having to shutdown the computer for 10 minutes during the middle of a session. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2002, 09:00 PM

If you are having Heat problems with your Athlon, read the article I wrote last year: "Ok, I have noticed a fair number of people running into heat problems with their Athlon systems. First off when building a system plan your cooling strategy. Many people put an excess amount of fans in the wrong place that tend to re-circulate heat. Choosing a heatsink/fan combo: As musicians, our number one goal is to keep or systems running as quietly as possible. When shopping for heatsinks purchase a heatsink with a large surface area, they tend to disipate heat efficiently. It also helps if they have a large fan mounted on, optimaly a 32db fan that pushes no more than 42cfm. For case fans it is better to have exhaust fans than intake. On some occations intake fans re-circulate air. For exhaust fans pick a 22-25db fan. Now for power supplies a AMD approved PS with Dual-fan is preffered and also should be temp controlled, this can make a big difference for noise. Finally, a last thing you could do to reduce noise is to line the inside of you case with V-Block, a acoustic absorbing material. In conclusion
water cooling should not be the solution for cooling unless you are over-clocking, which you should not be doing on a PC-DAW, or if you want complete silence and don't mind spending alot of money."

www.dreamware.ca
Have something to brag about...Own a Dreamware Audio PC...

My Rig:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512MB PC2700C2 Corsair
MSI KT3ULTRA ARU
2x 80GB Seagate Barracuda 4 in RAID 0
GeForce 2 Ti 64MB
Lite-On 40x12x40 CD-RW
16x Pioneer DVD
Intel Pro/100 +
SB Audigy
Digi 001
Old 01-02-2002, 09:05 PM

In conclusion:
Just buy a Koolance case and be done with it. www.koolance.com
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2002, 09:30 PM

My koolance case is almost overkill. The cpu temp is around 80F with a heavy load. As far as the price- $250 (power supply included) is pretty good for a very quiet/cool system. I see aluminum cases (and definately rack units) priced higher. I also think by the time you pack a box with foam and purchase the right fan combinations you will be getting close to the koolance price anyway, especially if you are doing it by trial and error.

I imagine you guys at dreamware HAVE to be using a proven quiet case setup, or we would be hearing complaints from your customers! I also know that you have put time and money into figuring out this configuration and if you give out the exact brands/combinations of power suplies/cases/fans/heatsinks, etc, you will essentially be giving away your reseach for free. The info you posted is very helpful, but there are sooo many brands and choices, its nearly impossible to get it right the first time. This adds up to $$ out of pocket, especially since you can't return most of those things for a refund.

I personally spent about $200 in trial and error before I went with the koolance. If someone out there has a proven quiet setup, it would be very helpful if they post it- every detail-including the cost. Unless I see a setup significantly less expensive, and proven quiet, I'll stick with koolance for my DAW's.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:06 PM

Yes we have spent alot of money on R&D on what works best and how we can make a system quieter without resorting to water cooling. When you are searching for fans, look for a decible reading of no more than 25db, some custom fans are more expensive and are specified at 20db and 1600rpm! Fans at this rating be a whisper, you would literally have to have your ear up to them to hear the noise. Enermax and Antec are two companies that make great power supplies by the way.

www.dreamware.ca

My Rig:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512MB PC2700C2 Corsair
MSI KT3ULTRA ARU
GeForce 2 Ti 64MB
Lite-On 40x12x40 CD-RW
16x Pioneer DVD
Intel Pro/100 +
SB Audigy
Digi 001
Old 01-02-2002, 10:16 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dreamware:
Yes we have spent alot of money on R&D on what works best and how we can make a system quieter without resorting to water cooling. When you are searching for fans, look for a decible reading of no more than 25db, some custom fans are more expensive and are specified at 20db and 1600rpm! Fans at this rating be a whisper, you would literally have to have your ear up to them to hear the noise. Enermax and Antec are two companies that make great power supplies by the way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alex,
The problem is definitely the inefficiency of the Athlon processors at this time. Mostly a manufacturing issue. To me it doesn't do alot of good to put in low db case fans when you are running a 38db+ CPU fan. The Volcano II was a great heatsink/fan for the 1.4Ghz T-birds, and I see that they are producing a Volcano 7 or something like that now for the XPs. But still with db levels above 32db it is still impossible to record near that beast without picking up that hum with sensitive tube condensor mics. I also think that one of the great reasons for using water cooling besides the noise factor, is for creating a more stable rig. The cooler the processor the more stable it is going to run. That is the real reason for supercooling in any situation, besides preventing the CPU from burning up. Thanks for all your informative posts and I definitely agree with that Enermax equipment. Great company with solid products. That is what Koolance is using in their new cases.
Allen
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2002, 10:32 PM

Actually Allen, Our CPU heatsink/fans that we use only produce 22db and can keep the cpu between 50-60 degrees celsius. We use very specialized custom heatsinks that cost alot more and do raise the cost of our systems, bit in the end you do pay for a quality recording computer. In regards, to Koolance, I would like to see a 4U rack mount case.

www.dreamware.ca

My Rig:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512MB PC2700C2 Corsair
MSI KT3ULTRA ARU
GeForce 2 Ti 64MB
Lite-On 40x12x40 CD-RW
16x Pioneer DVD
Intel Pro/100 +
SB Audigy
Digi 001