Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Differences in latency OSX / Win?

Hi, I’m in a little chat with a mate of mine. We’re both OSX users and constantly discussing how to upgrade w/o killing ourselves economically (sounds familiar?). I’ve been using a dual Mac 533 (close to 1Gb Ram) with an 8 I/O ADAT > Digi 001 for some time and I’m actually quite happy with the set up. However what’s been really bothering me is the fact I have to bounce a lot during mixing. I usually end up with 4-5 sessions for a single song. So, making a production of 12-16 songs add up. I don’t do softsynths that much, but I’m a heavy user of Waves Platinum bundle, and so I run out of power sometimes already after mixing drums in a 20+ channel mix. Needless to say I’m after a new system. I’m going to keep my 001 for the time being, I run PT vers 6.4 – fine with me. Getting a new G5 would force me to get a 002 as well, so not an option right now. That’s when I started looking at getting a PC. I don’t have a problem with either OSX or Win XP when it comes to using/upgrading/managing etc. However, and to the question;

My friend claims that when heavy processing takes place (like in my case, 20+ tracks with Waves plugs and Altiverb) but under Win XP, the set latency starts to thrift and is no longer a constant. He also says this is not the case on Mac and OSX. Is there any truth to this? If so, wouldn’t this pose a latency calc problem for me when reloading bounced files back into my mix, if going PC? Forgive my ignorance if this has been discussed before. I did try a search for it.

Many thnx in advance!
Old 03-16-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Differences in latency OSX / Win?

Quote:
Is there any truth to this?
No.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:14 AM

thnx for clearing this! might save me some $ actually..
Old 03-16-2005, 06:19 AM

I'd really like to find out where this Joe heard such a thing...quite frankly, it's ridiculous.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:36 AM

my mate is totally convinced abt this. what seems to be misinformation like this makes it hard for people like myself deciding abt systems etc. i must admit i have not found a single post touching this very subject ever, so you must be right. i have been looking towards an AMD 64 system recently, i bet such a system would beat my 4+ year old dual 533. again, thanks for taking your time!