Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-04-2004, 10:44 AM

Default can someone help me with getting my stuff set up?

Hey, I have jus gotten in to pro tools and still have not used it with my other gear. Now I would like to start recording full bands using my pro tools. I have a 002R with a 2.ghz G5. I would like to use my roland vs2480cd as a mixer or even a controller if possible. 4 inputs on 002 are not enough to do drums at all. I also like having the faders in front of me insted of using the mouse. I also have a Roland AE-7000 which is a r-bus-aes/ebu converter, but it only has 4 outs and ins. would i need to buy one that has 16? if anyone knows the best way for me to get this thing working let me know, i have a friends band comming this weekend and i would really like to use pro tools on it. thanks
Old 02-04-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: can someone help me with getting my stuff set up?

I dont think that you can use the roland piece as a controller. The 002r has 8 analog inputs, but only 4 of those have mic preamps. If you want to record drums you will need more mic preamps, I would suggest looking into the Focusrite Octopre or the Presonus Digimax. Both of those options will expand your # of preamps to 12, that should be plenty to record drums. As far as a controller, you have a lot of options. Mackie control universal, Mackie baby HUI, Motormix and a few others that I am forgetting. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: can someone help me with getting my stuff set

you actually have quite a few questions mixed in there. the Digi manual can help you with the mixer, if it is supported (i can't recall off the top of my head)

as for additional inputs there is a plethora that have been discussed around here but to make it short here are a coulpe that have 8 more inputs for you:
focusrite octopre

Digimax

you will have to search more through the fourm if you are wanting cheaper. alos you might want to look into an A/D/A converter like RME's if you really want to get the ball rolling.

be aware that any other pre's you add should go through the lightpipe optical interface.

hope this helps.

BTW you can record wrums with only 4 mics or you could do the drums / bass together bass(1-2 ins) drums (6-7 ins). it would be cheaper and with you trying to record this weekend. you might not want to spend the extra money and time on hooking up and syncing extra pre's. it's not hard mind you but you have a long way to go before the weekend to learn protools. also run out and buy Dave Franz' book Producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools the first chance you get. this reads easier than the Pro Tools refernce manual and will give you more background on the recording process in general. i am no friend of Dave's either just like the book

ken;
Old 02-04-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: can someone help me with getting my stuff set

thanks for the help guys, I called roland and my vs2480 can be used as a control surface. its has 16 inputs..can i use those insted? i have everything setup on the roland, and was told to go to the midi controller option in pro tools. change that to HUI (rolands new OS has a HUI emulator) i did that, but when i click OK a message comes up saying i need to select a midi port from which pro tools is recieving from. but there is no options from which i can pick midi in. can you guys tell me how i can get protools to recognize my control surface?