Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2018, 09:07 PM

Default First Note in Measure Missing

Apologies if this is already answered, but I could not find this same issue.

Sometimes (not always) when I copy and paste a measure from one track to another the first note of the measure does not copy. This would not be a problem if I could just recreate the note, but when I try to recreate the note it just disappears. Nothing I have tried seems to help or allow me to recreate the missing note.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide.

Steve
Old 02-23-2018, 11:58 AM

Default Re: First Note in Measure Missing

Guess nobody else has experienced this before. There are a few threads about "recording" midi and the first note missing, but I'm not recording, I'm only copying-and-pasting from one track to another, and the first note does not always copy. And, if I just try to recreate the note, it just disappears - I cannot just recreate the note.

Any help is appreciated.

Steve
Old 02-23-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenengle View Post
Guess nobody else has experienced this before. There are a few threads about "recording" midi and the first note missing, but I'm not recording, I'm only copying-and-pasting from one track to another, and the first note does not always copy. And, if I just try to recreate the note, it just disappears - I cannot just recreate the note.

Any help is appreciated.

Steve
just about 3 hours .. sorry just saw this .. if the First Note is before the Barline it is not included .. Avid KNows about this and as far as i know working on it ..

is this what is happening to you ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-23-2018, 12:55 PM

Thanks John, that could be it, not sure how I can tell? I do see some bar lines that are "thicker" than others, and some are "dashed" bar lines, but sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. Even if I recreate the note within the measure and try to drag it to the first beat, the note just disappears - odd. Do you know a workaround for this?

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenengle View Post
Apologies if this is already answered, but I could not find this same issue.

Sometimes (not always) when I copy and paste a measure from one track to another the first note of the measure does not copy. This would not be a problem if I could just recreate the note, but when I try to recreate the note it just disappears. Nothing I have tried seems to help or allow me to recreate the missing note.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide.

Steve
Ha! Welcome to the hell that is MIDI in ProTools. Hang on I’ll see if I can find my thread on this...
Old 02-23-2018, 01:05 PM

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368536

Think this is the one.

“It's kind of annoying from a user point of view - as you go to duplicate regions, even in "triangle" mode (whatever it's actually called), the kick drum will sometimes copy and sometimes not, even though as far as you can tell (unless you zoom riiiiiiiiight in) the kick is bang on 9|1”
Old 02-23-2018, 01:14 PM

Yep, that sounds like the same issue, I'll try zooming "way in" and see if I can workaround this - THANKS!!
Old 02-23-2018, 01:48 PM

Just enter GRID mode(F4) and use the trim tool(in notes view) to trim the first note(s) to the grid before you hit COPY.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-23-2018, 07:04 PM

Thanks, copy-and-paste does not work, I've given up on that. I have also given up on just creating a new note in the middle of the measure and dragging it to the first beat, that doesn't work either. However, I found an acceptable workaround - if I put the midi editor in "spot" mode, and I create a new note just a fraction off the bar, I can create a new note in the first beat. It's not perfect, but it's very close, and much better than no note at all.

Also, while cleaning up these first beat notes, I found just the opposite problem - notes that exist in the first beat, and I cannot delete them. This problem is equally frustrating, no matter how many times I delete the note it remains. And, if I drag the note to another location (say to a different pitch), the original note still remains in the same place - I cannot delete or relocate the note.... ugh. I have not found a workaround for this.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:40 AM

This is a known bug which I reported to Avid in 2016, in multiple cases:

- Case number 03106352 (Separate MIDI clip (Command+E) doesn't adhere to grid)
- Case number 03106397 (MIDI range selection includes unexpected events)

Protools is still plagued by numerous MIDI bugs which make it unusable for proper composition. Don't even get me started on their ADC. I have switched back to Logic for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 18.49.25.jpg (67.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 20.10.46.jpg (56.5 KB, 0 views)