Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 AM

Default PT12 Error '..TC/E AudioSuite plug-in could not be instantiated'

Recently moved from PT10 HD to PT12 HD. Using TC/E trim tool on a file throws up error "Cannot perform the operation because the selected TC/E AudioSuite plug-in could not be instantiated". However, I can shrink/expand the file if I use the AudioSuite drop down Time Compression Expansion. Thoughts? Thanks!

Steve
Old 08-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Default Re: PT12 Error '..TC/E AudioSuite plug-in could not be instantiated'

In Preferences, under Processing, in the upper right corner, make sure the drop-down menu for the TC/E trimmer tool isn't set for a third-party plugin that you don't have. I prefer Avid TC/E over Avid Time Shift for dialogue editing. If that's not the issue, maybe trashing prefs might help?
Old 08-29-2017, 03:11 PM

Thanks Scott! That indeed solved the problem.

And since you seem to know your sh*t, lemme pose this one to you:

Ever since my upgrade, I've been getting a warning saying "Physical RAM is running low. For better performance, install more RAM." There is a check box to not see it again, but I'm running 16G RAM on a 2012 Mac Pro 6-core tower. Never got this message in PT 10 HD, but perhaps 12 is testing it more...?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 08-30-2017, 07:07 AM

Pro Tools 11 and up are 64 bit applications (not audio bit depth but computer memory addressing). Pro Tools 10 could only address up to 4GB of RAM, but PT 11 and up can address as much RAM as you have in your system. If you are using video, the video engine changed from 10 to 11+ and now runs as a separate app that uses close to 3GB outside of Pro Tools. If you have really fast hard drives (i.e. SSD) you could turn off Disk Cache in Playback Engine (set to Normal). Depending on how much you have allocated in Disk Cache, it could be needlessly tying up extra RAM. I was running a really large session (400+ voices on HDX2) on a MacBook Pro (16GB RAM) for an onsite mix at a theme park and was regularly getting the same Low Memory error. I turned off disk cache and transferred the session to an external USB3 Samsung SSD and everything ran smooth as silk after that. Well, I did burn up the LTC Out on my Sync HD by connecting it to the poorly grounded system in the theater, but that's another story.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:10 PM

Yikes, sorry about the Sync HD!

About the RAM, you confirmed what I suspected. For the most part, our sessions are relatively small track-wise, so I'm not getting performance issues, just the annoying message. But good to know the extra deets you provided.

Thanks, and may the Technical Force Be With You.

Steve