Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-12-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Buying advice needed badly...

Hi All,

At the moment I'm investigating to buy a HD3 system and with PCIe just released I'm kinda in the dark of the decision to go for the PCI-X or PCIe version.

I think with PCIe my investment will last longer because I expect Intel Macs to have PCIe slots too.

I'm currently working in Logic Pro 7 and want to use that as a front end to HD. If I go for PCIe I'm forced to use PT 7.x but that's not compatible with Logic for some time to come (I'm told that Apple is doing the OSX86 binairies at the moment) If i go for PCI-X and upgrade over time then that will set me back quite a bit so making the right choise now is pretty essential.

Anyway, advice is much appreciated...what would you do if you had to buy HD3 right now and wanted to use logic and safeguard your investment regarding the hardware exchange prices.

Cheers All,

Vank
Old 01-12-2006, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Buying advice needed badly...

? do you think you will ever want to go up to an HD4, HD5, or HD6 size system?
As of right now I know of no computer that has more than 3(4 counting the Vid card) PCIe slots.
Digi's expansion box is PCI non e.

So if I was picking up a new system right now and thought I would be going over and HD3 I would go w/ the PCI cards.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-12-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Buying advice needed badly...

Go with a PCI - X machine Dual 2.5 / 2.7 PCI-X machines can be had for 2500-2600.
With Logic you will need a Protools 6 boot so PCI-e is out for a while.
The are thousands of PCI users and machines so PCI so software that supports PCI-X cards will need to be around for at least 5 years. It s going to take a long time for the Mactels to fully take over.