Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Minimize PT 11.2.1 = Game over

I am having this same issue with my setup but I have windows 8.1. A couple months ago I could use alt + tab to pull it back but that no londer works. I get the annoying "ding" and it doesn't maximize. I have tried the "restore" method as well.

I was hoping to find the root cause so I could either fix it or mitigate. Because it is too easy to forget not to minimize PT since it is a normal habit for every other program I use.

I will spend some time trying to figure this out this weekend and make sure I have all the latest updates from Avid.

But if anyone has any new info, it would be appreciated. It looks like no one has pinpointed what the likely causes of this problem are.

It would be nice to get PT to act like all other programs where a simple click on the icon in the bar at the bottom works. Even if I could get alt + tab to work again, I'd would be 90% satisfied.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Hope this is relevant and is helpful. The folks that use the eleven rack stand alone editor went through similar issues a while back. It turns out that after the app is minimized, when restored, it would be restored off screen, so you could not see it. Someone figured out a way to better center it on the monitor so as to make it visible. Try this link:

http://weblogs.asp.net/kdente/new-ut...ont-and-center

At least in my case, once it was made visible and after a reboot, the 11 rack editor would behave like a normal app.

I don't know if this has been covered before on this thread, but hope it helps.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Well, no luck. Updated to 11.2.1 and ensure all windows updates were current

The only thing that works for me right now is going to the task manager, right clicking on pro tools, and clicking either "switch to" or "bring to front".

I wish I could figure this out... But at least I have one way to get back to PT after minimizing. Just not the most convenient.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:54 PM

yeah this is very strange indeed!
in pro tools 10 i can click on the pro tools icon in the task bar minimize and maximize to my hearts content, but in pro tools 11.2.2 no go!!

hopefully someone finds a fix or avids does, in the meant time its the alt-tab trick in PT11
Old 12-09-2014, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 11 locked in windows 7 taskbar

I have the same problem

Shift | Right Click PT Icon | Restore does not work for me.

The only way that I can maximize PT11 is to start Task Manger, right click on the PT 11 icon in 'Applications' and choose 'Switch To'.

From the number of threads on tis subject, this seem to be a common issue affecting a significant number of users.

This should NOT be happening in a professional piece of software!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:50 AM

I have the same problem using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 w/ Service Pack 1

Shift | Right Click PT Icon | Restore does not work for me.

The only way that I can maximize PT11 is to start Task Manger, right click on the PT 11 icon in 'Applications' and choose 'Switch To' or 'Bring to Front', the same method as a previous poster pointed out.

From the number of threads on tis subject, this seem to be a common issue affecting a significant number of users.

This should NOT be happening in a professional piece of software!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 PM

I am having this issue as well. Running Pro Tools 11 w/ Windows 8.1 and Mbox Pro. I've tried every suggestion in this thread. I literally have to ctrl alt dlt program and restart it if it does this now, can't figure it out for the life of me.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:23 PM

Try Alt + Tab to Pro Tools. Once tabbed to Pro Tools, if nothing pops up, use the shortcut to show/hide the mixer, which I believe is Ctrl + = on Windows. Hit it a couple times times and the edit window will reappear again as well.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:39 AM

This is driving me mad. This problem went away and now its back for me. Importantly, I got this error message one time:

Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Perhaps, somebody who has such knowledge may be able to assist because at the moment I seriously feel like quitting Pro Tools for good and going to a different DAW.

I'm using Windows 7, Service Pack 1. Pro Tools 11.3.1
Old 04-04-2015, 02:59 PM

Okay, the Alt + Tab trick does appear to work for the icon selection - so thanks to the person who discovered that...