Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-1999, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Future of SoundDesigner II

I'll just add another "Save SDII" vote. I've been using Sound Designer since version 1 to edit samples on an Akai sampler, and currently have ProTools|24 Mix, SDII, Peak, SoundEdit, SoundForge, CoolEdit, and Digital Performer, and I've worked on Dyaxis, Lexicon Opus, and SSL Screensound systems, and I STILL think SDII is the best 2-track editor. When I upgraded from PTIII-NuBus to PT|24, I had to also buy an Audiomedia III card just so I could keep using SDII. I do a great deal of narration editing, and there is currently nothing else on the market that works as well (scrubbing and playlist in particular). If Digi doesn't want to support it, why not sell the rights to someone, as has happened to Deck (Digi to OSC to Macromedia to BIAS). Perhaps there is some young, eager programmer who would be glad to spend some time to drag the program into the '90s. I've had a long talk with the sales guy at BIAS (who used to work for Digi), and even HE agrees that SDII still does some things better than his own company's program. Can Digidesign explain why, with the technical resources of Digidesign and Avid available, they can't shake loose ONE programmer to at least make SDII work on a PCI ProTools system? Anyone there...
Old 01-29-1999, 03:43 PM

Thanks to Digidesigns decision, my Mac/Digi system will not be upgraded for many years. To buy a new computer or any new Digi hardware or software would be expensive and frustrating because I wouldn't be able to run the programs I am so familiar with. My current system is a 7100 with a Newer G3 210 card, AM II card, Sound Designer 2.8.3, Pro Tools 4.2, and MLCD 1.41 under OS 8.1. My system works fine now as is, but to upgrade any part of it will render something else incompatible. Even buying a new mac and AM III card isn't an option until Peak or someone else can duplicate the workflow that I presently have with SD II. Come on Digi, it's really worth your time to come out with Sound Designer III. Stereo is still a viable format.
Old 01-29-1999, 07:52 PM

Sign me up for the "Save SDII" cause. After all the whales are dead, only SDII will remain.

I use SDII to edit mono files of telephone interviews, and need the full screen display of my 20" monitor. PTools can't give me a big screen, and Peak, well, close, but no cigar.

Digi, now please listen to the faithful....
Old 02-02-1999, 12:05 AM

I would very much enjoy seeing SDII brought back. But I would imagine that it would be called SD III?

I liked the other post discussing the many resources of AVid and Digidesign and how that could be possible allocated to re-developing the SDII code.

The only disadvantage about incorporating SDII into ProTools is that people that just need the SDII stuff will have to shell out for all of that ProTools stuff.

What does Avid's CEO have to say about this?
Old 02-03-1999, 08:41 PM

Dear Digidesign,

What will it take to bring back Sound Designer?

respectfully,
marcello
Old 02-04-1999, 07:33 AM

Just for everybodys info, I recently received the upgrade to Peak 2.0 and am still sorting thru the bugs! Saving takes forever, when you record using DAE, you monitor in MONO, everytime you save a change, it will rewrite the file, write new DAE playback files AND recreate the waveform with overview. You are unable to write to a previously created file AND you must create an interleaved stereo file after recording since Peaks uses .L and .R files. Even if all these bugs are fixed, Peak takes to long to save, uses to much disc space (with .L & .R files as well as stereo file), and is much more difficult to use (steep learning curve). Good luck with PEAK! WE NEED SD2 BACK ASAP! Gary Rice
Old 02-04-1999, 09:32 PM

Dear Digidesign,

What would it cost $$$ to bring Sound Designer back? There is an market for it.

Respectively,
marcello
Old 02-04-1999, 09:41 PM

Let's face it kids, Digidesign does not care what you have to say anymore.

It seems, since Avid purchased Digidesign and installed new management that their belief is that THEY drive the market NOT the user.

THEY exist in a world that is strickly about making short term profits to appease Avid management. Guess who is paying for this exercise in ambition? Us.

If SDII isn't raking in the big bucks...out it goes. They don't even think about us. Their response: We can upgrade you to something you don't need for only $XXXXXXX.

Once upon time you could get on the phone and actually reach someone at Digidesign. Now, unless you're calling about a purchase, ridiculously expensive or useless upgrade or something that produces renvenue...don't bother them.

I don't like some of the other options, but some of them will and are producing fruit. Unless Digidesign changes their tune, I will find other option. They do exist.

What a large shadow has been cast upon a once revered company. What a shame.
Old 02-06-1999, 12:08 AM

An example of the cold shoulder: I'd like to get the DINR plug-in for SDII. Digi happily informs me that DINR ver. 1.11 comes on a diskette that is included with the current version of DINR that is made for the new software. Costs $1000. Can I buy just the 1.11 diskette? Silly me. No! "It's only sold with the complete DINR package. Hope this helps."
Gee, rub it in.
Old 02-07-1999, 10:14 PM

Marcello,

Maybe I should clarify...
I believe there are a great deal of people at Digidesign who DO care. I have met some of them while conducting business or in conjunction with the AES(Audio Engineering Society) of which I am a member. Unfortunately, I do not believe that they are in a position to act, that is, without losing their jobs and income.

This comes down from above either from Digidesign or Avid management. As I mentioned earlier, Digidesign dealers and representatives have spoken with me and they have told me that they too have expressed these issues to Digidesign managment. They are also at risk of losing there Dididesign authorized retailer status which can affect their profit margin on sales and possible future product sales.

NOTE: If you want to study the tactics used in this type of market strategy see the DOJ vs. Microsoft case currently in progress.

It must be hard for many of the employees at Digidesign who care and can do nothing. I DO empathize with them as I have been in similar situations.