Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Default No more email support?

I hope I'm just lost what with the whole Avid redesign last year, but I can't find any way to submit an email/web form to Avid about a technical question. Has Avid completely done away with this? I looked up their new support page but all I saw was phone rates even though on other pages there is mention of email support. Can someone provide a direct URL to a page where I can submit an email or web-form support request? I don't care if it's free or fee-based; this is just something I'd like to have for "what if."
Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 AM

Default Re: No more email support?

Yep, there's no e-mail support, forum(community) is the only way to get help.

Last edited by AvidCS; 01-10-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: This is incorrect, please see: http://www.avid.com/support/asc/avid
Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. This really stinks. The email tech support was a major plus for me many times.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM

+1

That's appalling. I've used the email support service to report bugs in the past and found it much more productive than reporting them here. But I sure as hell am not gonna pay £73 to tell them what's wrong with their own software. I don't mind paying for a problem that's brought the entire studio to a halt, but I'm not gonna pay for every minor problem we encounter, it's absurd.

WTF Avid? Have you been reading from the apple handbook of customer "service"?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Avid

Post Re: No more email support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduke View Post
I can't find any way to submit an email/web form to Avid about a technical question. Has Avid completely done away with this? I looked up their new support page but all I saw was phone rates even though on other pages there is mention of email support. Can someone provide a direct URL to a page where I can submit an email or web-form support request? I don't care if it's free or fee-based; this is just something I'd like to have for "what if."
Assisted support (phone and case/email) is handled using Avid Support Codes.

Registering most products will provide an Avid Support Code, and additional codes can be purchased on our webstore.

More info about Avid Support Codes can be found here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicune View Post
I've used the email support service to report bugs in the past and found it much more productive than reporting them here. But I sure as hell am not gonna pay £73 to tell them what's wrong with their own software. I don't mind paying for a problem that's brought the entire studio to a halt, but I'm not gonna pay for every minor problem we encounter, it's absurd.
At one time we had a Bug Report Form. The overwhelming majority of the reports that came in there were technical support issues, not bugs. We will continue to monitor the DUC to watch for potential bugs, and we can start support cases for these where appropriate (make sure your DUC email is a valid address so that we can contact you).

If you use an Avid Support Code and we determine that a bug caused the problem we will provide a new Avid Support Code.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicune View Post
WTF Avid? Have you been reading from the apple handbook of customer "service"?
Apple is consistently at the very top of the customer satisfaction surveys year after year, so if that was supposed to be a dig at them, it failed.

Comparing Avid to Apple would be a major complementary feather in Avid's hat, but I don't think they're anywhere near Apple's level yet.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 AM

Yeaux, DigiCS: I registered my LE 8 around Feb 09, so would I infer correctly that any ACS (if it even applies to before you changed the way support works last December) I might have gotten then expired?

Also, is email ACS less expensive than phone? 90% of my queries can have been resolved via email, so I'm hoping there's some middle ground here.

Slim: I concur. I'm an OS X systems administrator for several university departments, and overall, I have excellent experiences in getting Apple email and phone support. But still, it's not cheap. Nonetheless, I find some of the moves Avid makes rather exasperating, but I'm afraid a lot of it is all about user-base. ProTools users are a small fraction of the Apple user base, and I'm sure Avid's bean counters figured out long ago that the revenue stream can't fund the kind of support levels seen at Apple, Adobe, and MS.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:36 AM

Frankly? I am a professional web designer, sound engineering is my second job. Their support system is a pure and utter mess. I have seen bad support ticket systems before, but this is just madness.

It is very clear that this company is in a huge mess. I recently tried to call the tech support number for the Uk which I got from avid's website. It is disconnected...

???
Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 PM

in the 80s, I could call Ampex Support and speak to a very knowledgable engineer for hours with no charge. They would even call me back!

However, they had very few products that cost less than $30,000. In fact, $30k was the bottom limit of their sales channel.

There are very few companies that sell items for a few hundred dollars that can afford to have experienced engineers standing by to answer your questions. It would be great but the economics just don't work.

Ampex is out of the audio/video business.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 AM

It has taken me up to 3 weeks trying to register my hardware with Avid. I have now given up. Being a previous Cubase user, I assumed the switch to PT would bring all new levels of support. Fail!
Whoever drew the short straw for designing the web links at Avid did a really bad job. I would have more luck finding my way around Neptune. In the dark.. Blindfolded...
PT is a great product, how about some thought behind the scenes.