Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 09-05-1999, 04:50 PM

Default Re: SampleCell Editor wishlist

I want to be able to Import all other sampler CD Roms and have them mapped out nice like, with all other settings!!!!!

I would also Like a ReWire function and a VST II Input for Rebirth and the Koblo SoftSynths!!!!!!!

------------------
Old 09-05-1999, 04:51 PM

I want to be able to Import all other sampler CD Roms and have them mapped out nice like, with all other settings!!!!!

I would also Like a ReWire function and a VST II Input for Rebirth and the Koblo SoftSynths!!!!!!!

------------------
Old 09-06-1999, 12:52 AM

Boy I hope the digi boys read down this far.

I was previously an Akai user and switched to the Samplecell to save space and cost. I mostly use the SC for drum sound triggering. From this point of view there are three things that the Akai does SOOOO much better than the SC for this.

1. On the Akai I can load, for example, my whole library of Snare drum sounds into memory (to the full memory capacity if needed) and in my standard drum map, ie: Kick on midi note C1, Snare on midi note D1 etc, just turn the dial to change the sound for that predefined note as the sequencer plays until I find the best one for the kit I'm building. Currently I have to load the sounds into SC one at a time which produces a midi overrun error in bastard OMS if the sequencer is still running and then I have to change the midi note if I want quick auditioning. VERY TEDIOUS!!! (Oh and ditch OMS please if possible. I dont need another layer of software in the way of the beautiful Logic/Samplecell marriage which used to exist.

2. 1 shot trigger. Someone else mentioned this. What a pain in the chuff it is to have to program EXACTLY the right length of midi note on every instance of a drum sound playing so I dont get note endings coming a few ticks after the next trigger and therefore cutting off notes or, just as bad, playing too short. This stupid oversight costs me countless hours of time.

3. I often mix two or more drum samples together and then often the best sound is produced when I vary the start point of each individual sample for a good phase or impact relationship. Currently the sample playback front trim is just TOO course. As is moving it by ticks in the sequencer. Who needs to create individual tracks in the sequencer just to play say 3 snare drum sounds?? The Akai was very elegant in this department. I could adjust the start point of each sample by the smallest amount possible ie: a sample at a time.

A few final points. I agree with what most people say about reading other manufacturers formats, and that the loading and saving hierachy could do with an overhaul. And finally. I just dont understand or feel comfortable with the loop editor window. Is this where I'm supposed to do SERIOUS sample editing functions?? The whole link to SD II used to be OK but a proper editor in the software without YET ANOTHER switching application headache would be brilliant. It's already enough of a pain in the arse having to keep flipping back to the sequencer, let alone moving into a third application.

Thanks Digi bods. I'm pleased to hear you are planning to continue support for the Samplecell. It'so close to being really great for the humble little job I need it for, so keep up the good work.

Cheers. Bushpig
Old 09-06-1999, 07:57 AM

maybe someone's already said this, but how about audiosuite / premier plug-in support ?

it's host based, so there's no hardware issue, and that would mean less tiresome application swapping in order to get the sound right.

huh ?